Yet another car shopping thread (for real, for GF)

Started by MexicoCityM3, February 24, 2014, 12:11:18 PM

MexicoCityM3

So, we went looking this weekend for something to replace my GF's Beetle that she had to sell to help out her family a few months ago. She is moving here with me and cannot live in MC without a car.

We are looking at something different and more practical than my cars, but "premium". Can't have her driving in an econobox.

So, we went to look at a few used options and a new one.

1. '06 BMW X5 3.0i with 20K miles, 17.6K

Link:http://auto.autoplaza.com.mx/MLM-442832586-bmw-x5-2006-5p-30sia-f1-aut-_JM

This is my first choice, but not my GF's. We both liked it very much overall. Current owner has many cars (thus the ludicrously low mileage). It's in excellent condition, only problem is peeling on the steering wheel center trim. Otherwise, it passed my very full inspection and test drive with flying colours. I have always loved the looks of the X5 (any generation) and prefer the 3.0i because it's the most reliable even if a bit slow (I don't really care about speed). Built like a tank with literally zero rattles. But also heavy like a tank (that is the part GF doesn't like that much).

2. '08 BMW X3 3.0si with 32K miles, 18K

Link: http://auto.autoplaza.com.mx/MLM-441473345-bmw-x3-2008-5p-30sia-aut-_JM

Also in excellent mechanical condition and with everything working. A bit less taken care of aesthetically than the X5 and the interior color doesn't help too much. GF loved it because she finds it more manoeuvrable and easier to control. It doesn't feel like a tank, some small suspension noise. But it is of course faster and much more agile than the X5. Also has basically the same interior space as the X5. Needs a bit more initial investment to correct the aesthetics (GF doesn't care). Drives well. I don't really like the looks and the color combo.

3. New Mini Cooper S Countryman Salt, 17.5K down, 16K due in 18 months, no monthly payments, 0% interest

We test drove one of these. It's a true MINI in driving feel. Super agile and fun yet very comfortable, I'd say about the same as the X3 in ride, much less so than the X5. Interior passenger space is very, very good. Cargo space is somewhat limited but of course you can fold the seats and we don't have kids yet so not a big issue.

Being new, it has a 3 year warranty and the above price includes insurance (for 18 months) and service for 3 years. The exact color combo GF likes most is available for immediate delivery. They actually have 3.

I know this is my GF's first choice but I played down the affordability of it b/c if I decide to go for it, it will be a surprise.

I did a full cost of ownership analysis on owning these 3 for 18 months including likely depreciation, insurance, taxes, likely fuel costs given expected mileage and fuel economy, and likely repair costs (the X3 seems to be the less reliable option, transfer cases tend to go bad at some point and its a 3K repair - gave it a 50% probability).

Total expected ownership costs are:

1. MINI Countryman S Salt:     11K TCO
2. BMW X3:                             8.5K TCO
3. BMW X5:                             7.5K TCO

I definitely lean X5 because I'd love to drive it on our long highway trips but it's GF's last choice - not that she wouldn't like it - it's a gift.

So, thoughts?

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

I'd probably pony up for the MINI. The added $ is totally worth the peace of mind over having her in an older BMW, imo.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2014, 12:25:36 PM
I'd probably pony up for the MINI. The added $ is totally worth the peace of mind over having her in an older BMW, imo.

You're thinking of possible road-side breakdowns with the older cars?
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

This '09 X3 w/ 30K miles was advertised today. At first blush, looks in better condition (from photos) than the one I saw yesterday. Owner says he already had the transfer case fail and replaced at the dealer for 3K (with invoices to back that up).

http://auto.autoplaza.com.mx/MLM-443349898-bmw-x3-2009-5p-30sia-sound-package-aut-_JM

Will be taking a look at it tomorrow (by myself, GF is away).
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 24, 2014, 04:32:10 PM
You're thinking of possible road-side breakdowns with the older cars?

I don't think the X5 was ever the pinnacle of reliability, let alone with lots of years and miles on the clock.  Sure, the X5 you're looking at is low miles, but time can still take its toll.  I actually get worried about cars not driven regularly. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on February 25, 2014, 10:54:19 AM
I don't think the X5 was ever the pinnacle of reliability, let alone with lots of years and miles on the clock.  Sure, the X5 you're looking at is low miles, but time can still take its toll.  I actually get worried about cars not driven regularly. 

I tend to agree about the too little use risk as well and I think no BMW is the pinnacle of reliability (other than, luckily, the E90 M3).

However, that X5 passed the test drive and inspection with flying colours. I am leaning towards the Countryman though.

I had breakfast today with a good friend of my dad's who owns a couple of BMW dealerships here and when I mentioned my plans, he suggested that I forget the X3 because of the poor transfer case reliability. When the dealer tells you that, well....
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

veeman

just some philosophical musings...

if a girlfriend/wife feels that a car is too big/wieldy for her to feel comfortable in it, don't get it for them.  I've driven in and been in that model year X5.  I loved it and it does feel like a tank in a good way.  The car did feel hefty though and a lot of women may not like it.

I like the countryman for her.  Significantly more tank like than a regular mini cooper but still quite agile and a great driver.  Definitely premium over an equivalently sized ford, vw, honda, etc. 

cawimmer430

A buddy of mine is selling his 130i E87 and replacing it with an M235i. Just thought I'd mention that in here.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 25, 2014, 04:47:44 PM
A buddy of mine is selling his 130i E87 and replacing it with an M235i. Just thought I'd mention that in here.  :ohyeah:

What?!?! No 70's american barge recommendations?!?

I expected more from you.

Feel free to browse here: www.autoplaza.com.mx

:)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on February 25, 2014, 06:56:56 PM
What?!?! No 70's american barge recommendations?!?

I expected more from you.

Feel free to browse here: www.autoplaza.com.mx

:)

My standard big barge recommendation is a 1974 Dodge Monaco, but I'm not sure if your partner will appreciate the comfortable ride.  :devil:  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MexicoCityM3

I am still looking, decided I want to make it a surprise.

Today I went to the VW dealer to take a look at a couple of additional options. I test drove the Tiguan with the 1.4TSI 160hp engine and DSG and also took a look at the Beetle (didn't drive it).

The Tiguan drives well, I surprisingly found the little engine to be powerful enough. Even though there were two people with me in the car for the test drive. The DSG is quite jerky on startup, but otherwise nice. Interior space is ok for the size. The glaring fault is the interior quality, it's shit on anything other than the top spec model here that costs almost 8K more. It feels very plebeian compared to the MINI.

The Beetle somehow feels less cheap inside than the Tiguan even though it's much less expensive. I like it and Monika would be happy I think. I am considering it as a value option in the mid-spec 2.5 model with a manual. Yes - my girl digs manuals and that transmission takes much better advantage of the old 2.5 engine.

After that I went to a nearby BMW dealer to see if I could compare the VWs immediately with the Countryman but they had none except the top spec one which is of course much nicer but outrageously expensive.

I also found a very nice 118i 3-door in blue that looked fantastic and is just a little bit more expensive than the countryman. After siting in the VWs the interior quality of the bimmer was very noticeable. There is a reason this brands are "premium".

Finally, I also saw the new MINI hatch. They had a couple "in the back" because the official launch hasn't happened here yet. I am not a fan of the exterior at the moment but the interior is incredibly nice. Sat in a Cooper S. I could get a top spec 3 pot or a base spec 4 pot for about the same as the Countryman.

Arrrrghhhhh......decisions!

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

I'm shocked to hear that the Mini has higher interior quality than the Volkswagen.  Are you sure the Mini's more eye-catching design wasn't playing tricks on your perception?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on March 15, 2014, 03:43:17 AM
I'm shocked to hear that the Mini has higher interior quality than the Volkswagen.  Are you sure the Mini's more eye-catching design wasn't playing tricks on your perception?

Mexican market gets a lot of odd-spec cars. They might get a lower-spec VW lineup. I know Renault only sells their budget line there....