Hennessey Venom GT Sets New Speed Record

Started by FoMoJo, February 26, 2014, 06:41:24 AM

FoMoJo

"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Is this thing based on a Lotus Elise? Because it sure looks like an Elise that was tortured and stretched against its will...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

Lotus Elise body that's stretched is what it is.  I'd be interested in seeing how they do that exactly...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 26, 2014, 08:52:53 AM
Is this thing based on a Lotus Elise? Because it sure looks like an Elise that was tortured and stretched against its will...

Technically, an Exige, but yeah...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

"But the performance is not eligible for a Guinness World Record, which uses an average speed taken from two runs as the official record."

Makes me wonder if that one run completely destroyed the car.

r0tor

There is no way that thing should be compared to the Bugatti... One is a glorified tuner car, the other is a car that's been actually engineered to go that fast safely and reliably.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Price starts at a $million.  Comparable Veyron is 3 $million.

r0tor

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 26, 2014, 01:23:22 PM

We are talking about the "production" car speed record.  Real production cars are designed and engineered to handle their top speed.  The venom is in no way, shape, or form engineered to handle the speeds they are trying to get out of it as a production car should be.

Furthermore, anyone that hands of over a million dollars to Hennessey with his shady past should have their head examined.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on February 26, 2014, 05:16:42 PM
We are talking about the "production" car speed record.  Real production cars are designed and engineered to handle their top speed.  The venom is in no way, shape, or form engineered to handle the speeds they are trying to get out of it as a production car should be.

Furthermore, anyone that hands of over a million dollars to Hennessey with his shady past should have their head examined.
Basically, just a high-priced hotrod.

Xer0

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 26, 2014, 01:23:22 PM

Veyrons are 3 million now?  I remember just like 3 years ago they were a mil.  Damn you inflation  :shakesfist:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on February 26, 2014, 05:53:26 PM
Veyrons are 3 million now?  I remember just like 3 years ago they were a mil.  Damn you inflation  :shakesfist:
I believe you can still get one for a million...but it's only about 750 bhp.

veeman

that's just to buy it.  It costs a boatload just to maintain it.  Routine annual maintenance of 20,000 dollars.  50,000 dollars to change  all four tires at 10,000 miles. 

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-cost-to-own-a-bugatti-veyron

giant_mtb

$10,000 detail job?  Ermagherrrrrd that would be AWESOME.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 26, 2014, 06:26:26 PM
I believe you can still get one for a million...but it's only about 750 bhp.

750 kW.  They've never made a Veyron with less than 1000 PS (987 HP).  That said, I think they discontinued the base Veyron.  I believe all you can get now are the more powerful and very limited (<200 made) Super Sport and Vitesse models.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: MX793 on February 27, 2014, 05:43:23 AM
750 kW.  They've never made a Veyron with less than 1000 PS (987 HP).  That said, I think they discontinued the base Veyron.  I believe all you can get now are the more powerful and very limited (<200 made) Super Sport and Vitesse models.
True, I was looking at a lesser model Bugatti.

MrH

Quote from: MX793 on February 27, 2014, 05:43:23 AM

And they can't even sell all of them!  They're still available for sale new.

LaFerrari sold out within minutes.  All McLaren P1s are accounted for.  I think even the 918 is sold out.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on February 27, 2014, 06:19:50 AM
And they can't even sell all of them!  They're still available for sale new.

LaFerrari sold out within minutes.  All McLaren P1s are accounted for.  I think even the 918 is sold out.

Maybe Supercar buyers have more taste than I generally give them credit for?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Now that I think about it...does Bugatti even make/sell (or attempt to sell) anything other than the Veyron and its various modified models...??  How are they in business.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2014, 09:19:13 AM
Now that I think about it...does Bugatti even make/sell (or attempt to sell) anything other than the Veyron and its various modified models...??  How are they in business.
Apparently...http://www.topcarrating.com/price.php?brand_id=110

FoMoJo

giant_mtb

Oh. Wow that's lazy. A four-door Veyron. lol

SVT666

The 4 door is not happening.  It was already kyboshed by Bugatti.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2014, 09:19:13 AM

It's the halo car for the entire VWAG. Somebody broke it down, and by the time you take into account the factory, the development and so on; each Veyron has cost about sixteen million to produce.

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 27, 2014, 11:03:19 AM
It's the halo car for the entire VWAG. Somebody broke it down, and by the time you take into account the factory, the development and so on; each Veyron has cost about sixteen million to produce.

And what a "factory" it is. They bought the old Bugatti Château, used for offices, and helping customers configure their car, and built the factory in the garden.

FoMoJo

That is one beautiful building.  I assume it's located in France.

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 27, 2014, 01:27:29 PM
That is one beautiful building.  I assume it's located in France.

Today the town of Molsheim is in France yes. It used to be Germany until WW1.

giant_mtb

Wow. I wonder what sort of salary the people building them make. That would be a dream job.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 27, 2014, 01:54:21 PM
Wow. I wonder what sort of salary the people building them make. That would be a dream job.

Not for me.  "You want me to do what?  With my hands?  I think you've got the wrong guy, buddy."  :lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

How many Razas does it take to change a light bulb? :lol: