What do you guys think about this...

Started by SJ_GTI, May 17, 2005, 02:09:05 PM

Raghavan

QuoteIfcar, exactly what is it you are doing while driving that you would need to use iDrive for?

You do realize that audio and climate controls are also on the steering wheel, right?

iDrive is used for the Navigation system, setting channels, pre-setting climate settings, and other personalization things you do while not driving.

I don't understand why you keep insisting that iDrive is a safety hazard because its hard to use while driving.

I have never, ever felt the need to use iDrive while driving the 5-series or 3-series. Its something I would use when buying my car, or adjusting the settings between seasons and such (times, dates, etc...). Its not something you have to, or would even want to, use while driving.
climate settings are something that people change while driving.
Again, standard audio and climate controls are on the steering wheel.

Unless you change your presets on a daily basis while driving this is not something you would use. Considering a large portion of cars don't even have this option to set preset climate settings, I would say its not something that someone would have to do while driving.
Even during a 20-minute test drive, I was forced to use the iDrive system multiple times. There are some audio tuning functions that cannot be selected through the steering wheel controls, and I don't see why a driver wouldn't change the climate control settings to reflect how they're feeling at that moment.

It makes sense to introduce redundant controls that are easier to use, but by that point, it's the iDrive setup that's redundant.
You are being disingenuous.

Climate controls functions are on the steering wheel, so adjustments do not require iDrive. You would only need to use iDrive if you were setting up personalized memorized set-ups.

And the steering wheel controls are redundant, but then alot of cars offer redundant controls on the steering wheel for often used things, like audio and climate controls regardless of whether they offer more complicated functions as buttons on the dash.
Steering wheel controls are always redundant so far as I know (otherwise only the driver can make adjustments). Not my point.

Anyway, I do not recall exactly which was adjusted (it's been several weeks since I've used the system) but I got a detailed explanation from the salesman each time I asked how something was done, and most adjustments involved the iDrive (this was in a 750i).
BMW should ditch IDrive all together.

850CSi

I saw two new E90s yesterday. One was bright red, saw it during the day... NICE. But red just doesn't seem to match BMWs that well. The other was silver. I had previously stated that I really don't like new colors on the 3er, but this looked alright. I still want to see one in blue, as that is my personal favorite.

A shiny black 530i caught my eye today... The E60 is best when viewed from the rear in dark colors; it looks nearly as good as its predecessor.

cozmik

Hmm, just found this topic, and how interesting that I just got back from actually DRIVING a 325i hours ago.

It's not worth the hit though dude. Them Audi's take big hits. Either get your bike or wait a year or two (at least). Even though the new 325 has a silky smooth 215 HP I6, is fast, handles great, has a great interior with really nice seats, a really sharp looking exterior, a kickin standard sound system, even a standard sunroof. Not to mention RWD and that great push button start, wait, what was I saying?

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

SJ_GTI

QuoteHmm, just found this topic, and how interesting that I just got back from actually DRIVING a 325i hours ago.

It's not worth the hit though dude. Them Audi's take big hits. Either get your bike or wait a year or two (at least). Even though the new 325 has a silky smooth 215 HP I6, is fast, handles great, has a great interior with really nice seats, a really sharp looking exterior, a kickin standard sound system, even a standard sunroof. Not to mention RWD and that great push button start, wait, what was I saying?
:P

Yeah I think I've already decided not to trade it in. Common sense is getting the better of me.  :(  

BMWDave

QuoteHmm, just found this topic, and how interesting that I just got back from actually DRIVING a 325i hours ago.

Yeah I think I've already decided not to trade it in. Common sense is getting the better of me.  :(
Well, when it comes time to trade your Audi in, then you know what to get :)  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

An A4 3.2 DSG?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

An A4 3.2 DSG?
Nope, a BMW 330i. :)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Now why would he do that?  VWAG sucks you in.  Once you buy one, you're done. It's like Pringles.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

QuoteNow why would he do that?  VWAG sucks you in.  Once you buy one, you're done. It's like Pringles.
Once you pop the fun don't stop?   :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

QuoteNow why would he do that?  VWAG sucks you in.  Once you buy one, you're done. It's like Pringles.
Once you pop the fun don't stop?   :lol:
More like once you pop, you can't get the fuck out.  

Eh, I love VWAG.  I just am tired of my Passat.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

I hate my Passat so much.  

:angry:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteI hate my Passat so much.  

Why?  Its a great car!

2007 Honda S2000

cozmik

Why?  Its a great car!
I think it's cause it has tine skinny tires and it's FWD, according to Raza, the only FWD car he could be slightly happy driving was the Saab 9-3. (or that was what the review said at least...)

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

Why?  Its a great car!
I think it's cause it has tine skinny tires and it's FWD, according to Raza, the only FWD car he could be slightly happy driving was the Saab 9-3. (or that was what the review said at least...)
True, but I've grown emotionally since then.  It's fun for a FWD car (another couple I'd consider would be the Acura TL/TSX, Mini Cooper, and anything that's done well) but it's just nothing compared to my E320.  I miss that car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i