What do you guys think about this...

Started by SJ_GTI, May 17, 2005, 02:09:05 PM

SJ_GTI

I have been very happy with my car...but...

Recent reviews of the A4 2.0T replacement say its an improvement in every way over mine. Its lighter, faster, get's better fuel mileage, and its just overall a more refined car.

Just this weekend I finally saw a brand new 325i (they are just now arriving in montreal from what I can tell). Damn it is sexy in person!

Not to mention 215 HP and a 6-speed manual...

I also checked it out on BMW Canada's website and I think in CAD a comparably equipped 325 got cheaper from last year. Base price is about the same, but you now get heated seats and Xenon's standard on the 325i up here. I also noticed they have a really cool yellow interior available here. Jet black exterior and the lemon yellow interior would look amazing...

So for the last few days I have been pondering trading in my A4 1.8T for one of the two above...

Now I do realize I will be taking a massive hit on depreciation. I was considering buying a bike this summer, but I think if I use that money toward a replacement on my A4 I will basically stay even (in other words my payments won't get longer or higher.

So am I stupid or what? I have only had one problem with my Audi (rear light-bulb went out), so its not like there is a concern for me there. I don't think I would consider doing this for any other cars (no GTO in Canada, and oddly enough a G35 coupe here is more expensive than either an A4 2.0T or 325i so there really isn't a point in me checking it out up here).

What do you guys think? What would you do?

giant_mtb

Well I know next to nothing about purchasing cars...but I'd probably go for the 325i.  Your current car is really great, but it's always nice to get something new and fresh once in a while.  (which isn't all that often in the car world unless you have connections or are made of money, but yeah)

ifcar

That depends on how much you want that bike, and how much more you like those other cars more than your current A4. I wouldn't trade it in that new, but I'm not you either.  

giant_mtb

QuoteThat depends on how much you want that bike, and how much more you like those other cars more than your current A4. I wouldn't trade it in that new, but I'm not you either.
Good point...you have a 2005 vehicle...why trade in so soon?  Go for the bike!  :praise:  What kinda bike you lookin at? (obviously a pretty good one if you're deciding between a bike or car)  Unless you mean motorcycle? lol

SJ_GTI

QuoteThat depends on how much you want that bike, and how much more you like those other cars more than your current A4. I wouldn't trade it in that new, but I'm not you either.
Good point...you have a 2005 vehicle...why trade in so soon?  Go for the bike!  :praise:  What kinda bike you lookin at? (obviously a pretty good one if you're deciding between a bike or car)  Unless you mean motorcycle? lol
yeah, I meant motorcycle. Nothing in particular, but probably a relatively simple steet bike around 15k CAD.

giant_mtb

yeah, I meant motorcycle. Nothing in particular, but probably a relatively simple steet bike around 15k CAD.
Well when it comes to motorcycles I don't know what to tell you.  But street bikes are incredible performers.  I was reading a motorcycle magazine in school today and saw the 0-60 number (it was 2.7, 1/4 mile in 10) and was like HOLY CRAP so I went to one of my buddies who knows a lot about bikes and he said that's not even that fast!  I was like whoah!  i'm sure there's no feeling that compares to riding a street bike...and you can get a very decent one for 15K...well...wait how many US dollars is 15K Canadian?

SJ_GTI

giant_mtb

Oh ok...well actually the bike I explained earlier was 11,000 US...some Honda CR 1000 or something...very nice bike.  But I really wouldn't know what to tell you about this.  But I guess since you have a near-new car it would be nice to have both a sweet bike and a sweet car...so again I'm gonna say go for the bike.

mazda6er

Well, Kelly Blue Book your current car, and then we'll talk. I'm not sure how bad depreciation is, but I'm willing to bet you lost around 5K the moment you drove it off the lot. And you probably paid around 4K under sticker because it was the previous generation right? I guess if it were me, I'd probably stick with the current car. That'll last you for a while, and then you can get an exciting new car when the time comes.  At this point, your car may be worth more to you than it is "valued at". But the choice is yours. It's a good dilemma to have!
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

FlatBlackCaddy

If i where in your exact position i would trade it in for the BMW.

BMWDave

QuoteIf i where in your exact position i would trade it in for the BMW.
Same here.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

I still can't believe you moved to Canada.  Don't you think people are too nice there?

Why not get an E46 325i?  Or!  An E36 M3 4 door 5 speed!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI still can't believe you moved to Canada.  Don't you think people are too nice there?

Why not get an E46 325i?  Or!  An E36 M3 4 door 5 speed!
Meh, its not that different here. Now that the weather is warming, the girls tend to wear less clothes than they did in SJ/Philly area which is nice.  B)

I don't really want a used car. At least if I get another new car I can offset the extra cash spent with the fact that I am essentially extending my warranty.  :(  

mazda6er

QuoteI still can't believe you moved to Canada.  Don't you think people are too nice there?

Why not get an E46 325i?  Or!  An E36 M3 4 door 5 speed!
Meh, its not that different here. Now that the weather is warming, the girls tend to wear less clothes than they did in SJ/Philly area which is nice.  B)

I don't really want a used car. At least if I get another new car I can offset the extra cash spent with the fact that I am essentially extending my warranty.  :(
How about selling the Audi, forgetting about the bike and buying yourself a Mazda3 (or its equivalent) for the cold months, and a Solstice (or its equivalent) for summertime? Chicks dig convertibles.  B)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Lebowski

I think it's crazy to sell a car when it's still so new, but that's just me.  At the very minimum, I'd wait a year or two so BMW and Audi can get the first year kinks ironed out of their new models (and in the meantime get a little more of your moneys worth out of your current car).

Raza

QuoteI still can't believe you moved to Canada.  Don't you think people are too nice there?

In the summertime, the women wear alot of skin and if I sit in one spot I can  take 'em all in

Go with your heart man.  I say do it.  Or the Solstice thing.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Fire It Up

In the summertime, the women wear alot of skin and if I sit in one spot I can  take 'em all in

Or get a used Z3! This combines the BMW thing with the convert thing!

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

SJ_GTI

QuoteI still can't believe you moved to Canada.? Don't you think people are too nice there?

Why not get an E46 325i?? Or!? An E36 M3 4 door 5 speed!

LOL. My previous car was a BMW Z3.  :P  

ifcar

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

He traded in a Z3 for his current A4.  

Raza

LOL. My previous car was a BMW Z3.  :P
I saw a slightly used Dinan modified Z4 for 41K at my local BMW dealer.  6 speed manual and everything.  They also had an M roadster fro 35K!  

I do know of a 1983 Porsche 911SC for sale.   :D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Catman

If you're anything like me than wait a couple weeks and revisit it.  I'm very impulsive so I try to wait.  Often I change my mind.  For a fleeting moment I thought of trading in my Sequoia for a Mazda 3 or something.  After a couple days of lugging stuff around, getting my son in and out and thinking about camping this summer I thought otherwise.  I'm not taking two vehicles camping. :praise:  

Colonel Cadillac

As much as I like the idea of buying a new car, I have a feeling that there just is not enough sense in it. The Bike would be cool, though.

If you are going to buy the new car, I would definitely go with the A4 2.0T, can't go back to RWD in Canada from Quattro.  

BMWDave

QuoteAs much as I like the idea of buying a new car, I have a feeling that there just is not enough sense in it. The Bike would be cool, though.

If you are going to buy the new car, I would definitely go with the A4 2.0T, can't go back to RWD in Canada from Quattro.
If you buy a set of good snow tires it shouldnt be that bad.  THink of all the fun you'll have in the dry times of year :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

There will always be bigger and better.  If you've been happy so far, I would stick with your current car.

TBR

I wouldn't do anything, you already have a very nice car so it would be a good time to start setting aside money for an asset that doesn't depreciate (yes, I am talking about a house or condo). Of course, as a car enthuisist I understand the temptation, but you can resist. ;)

Colonel Cadillac

Nobody seems to realize that a good set of snow tires is NOT as good as a light car with Quattro All Wheel Drive.  

TBR

QuoteNobody seems to realize that a good set of snow tires is NOT as good as a light car with Quattro All Wheel Drive.
I think everyone realizes that, but a car without the additional weight of AWD as well as traditional BMW handling is better when there isn't snow.

saxonyron

I'd be tempted to do the new A4.  The 200 HP 2.0L engine takes about a second off the 0-60 times, thanks in part to the FSI direct injection .  A car that goes 0-60 in 7.1 sec is a completely different animal than an 8.2 sec car.  Plus, you have the new styling which looks best on the A4.  Check out Kelley's on a 2004 A41.8T.  Private party retail is $26k, on a car that was bought for about $32k.  Kelley couldn't do a number for the '05's yet, but you know you'll be better than the '04 number.  

I'd try to do a private party sale at a price that made you happy.  It might take a while, but you'll get pretty severely hosed with a trade in. I'd wait the month or two and sell it myself.  That way, if you have buyer's remorse and decide you want to keep your current ride, you can pull the "For Sale" sign off your car and act like nothing ever happened.

2004 Audi A4 Sedan 4D

Engine: 4-Cyl. 1.8L Turbo
Trans: 6 Speed Manual
Drive: Quattro AWD
Mileage: 20,000

Equipment
 Stability Control
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Telescoping Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Single Compact Disc
Dual Front Air Bags
Front Side Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Premium Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent    

Private Party Value Search Local Listings    $26,405    

Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.  

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

cawimmer430

Stick with your A4 IMHO. You still have a fun car and don't need more. Just my opinion. ;)  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BMWDave

QuoteNobody seems to realize that a good set of snow tires is NOT as good as a light car with Quattro All Wheel Drive.
Of course no RWD setup will beat Quattro in the snow, no matter what type of tires it has.  But what I was saying before is that its not like RWD is hopeless in snow...if you put on appropiate snow tires, you should be almost fine.

2007 Honda S2000