2o6's 5th car thread

Started by 2o6, April 04, 2014, 06:29:17 AM

2o6

The Yaris is fine and dandy, but it's really basic and my friends are convincing me to get something that is more fun to drive. Even if I only augment the Yaris with a cheap fun car, I probably won't have it as long as my old one

Replacement criterion

- under 9K ish USD
- Manual
- Semi-reliable
- Semi not-poor MPG
- More fun than a Yaris, or at least better equipped/better to drive

Supplimental criterion

- Under 2500USD
- Easy-ish to find parts
- Not expensive parts

I'm looking at either a car to either suppliment the Yaris, or replace it

Replacement

EP3

IS

Mazda 2

Fit

MR2 Spyder

...anything else?

Suppliment. Due to the similarites to my friends, I want something either larger or smaller than an AE86 Corolla or FC RX-7. So either, FWD, large sedan or Mid engined. lol

MR2

NA Miata

Cressida

240sx, et al....

suggestions?

2o6

This is also a consideration, but I know a good one will be somewhere in between my "suppliment" and "replacement" price

I don't really like these

I want one, but it's hella rare

More obscure than a Neon, IMO cooler than a MK1 Rabbit

Would get stolen.

German cars scare me.

Raza

Don't think you could afford an ITR anyway.  Last I checked they were in the 15K range. 

I wouldn't buy a second car in your position.  I would replace the Yaris with an EP3 Civic Si. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2014, 07:48:52 AM
Don't think you could afford an ITR anyway.  Last I checked they were in the 15K range. 

I wouldn't buy a second car in your position.  I would replace the Yaris with an EP3 Civic Si.

Or a Mazda 2.

I didn't mean ITR, but more specifically an Integra.

SJ_GTI

Is the Yaris really that bad? I have a hard time believing a ~20 year old civic is going to be more fun to drive.

If I was in your position and wanted something more fun to drive I'd probably first see if there are any aftermarket suspension improvements you could make and look at a better wheel/tire package.

2o6

Option three is putting springs/wheels/tires on the Yaris

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 04, 2014, 08:01:35 AM
Is the Yaris really that bad? I have a hard time believing a ~20 year old civic is going to be more fun to drive.

If I was in your position and wanted something more fun to drive I'd probably first see if there are any aftermarket suspension improvements you could make and look at a better wheel/tire package.

Mods are always a financially bad decision--not something someone in Kevin's position should be sinking money into right now. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Xer0

I know how much it sucks pushing around something boring, but IMO you should just suck it up and stick with it for now.  At your budget and what you want, you're looking at walking into a money pit.  Even a Honda at 20 years old won't be reliable and on a budget it means you can't really be that picky for a prime example. 

You'll get settled and get a good job soon and then you can buy something awesome, but I don't think dropping all of this money on an old car is smart when you're effectively on your own.

68_427

E36 M3
Legacy gt
Saabaru aero
Svt focus
G35
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Jesus Christ you guys have gotten boring

hotrodalex

$15k and you can have my car.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on April 04, 2014, 09:27:37 AM
E36 M3
Legacy gt
Saabaru aero
Svt focus
G35

Not to nitpick, but....

E36 M3 could be a maintenance nightmare and expensive to keep running, even if you're able to do some of the work yourself.  Legacy GT and Saab 9-2X Aero both have the same problems--hard to find (especially with a stick) and turbo rebuilds, if not recently done, are without a doubt around the corner at this price.  And, as far as the G35 is concerned, it seems from the G thread that they're starting to fall apart, and not one person I've known with a RWD G has been able to survive a winter without a near-incident or worse; they seem like they're terrible in the snow. 

SVT Focus is a great choice, though they do have an aura of fragility about them.  I'd take the Honda over it most likely, even though the SVT might be the more fun car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Springs wheels and TRD supercharger for yaris
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on April 04, 2014, 09:51:40 AM
Springs wheels and TRD supercharger for yaris

That's a good possibility. All of those aren't expensive, and the 1NZ runs FI reliably

2o6

An AW11 might be fun, too.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2014, 09:40:57 AM
Jesus Christ you guys have gotten boring

A Maserati Biturbo is far from boring!!!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 04, 2014, 09:54:24 AM
2008 Hyundai Tiburon GS  - $9,990

That's actually not a bad idea.  The worst shifter known to man, but it's a pretty sharp car otherwise. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

No mods, don't like non current Hyundais. Mediocre engines

2o6

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 04, 2014, 08:01:35 AM

It's a high possibility, since suspension for this car is dirt cheap and easy to do

NomisR

Why not just be stereotypical and go with the Miata? 

mzziaz

This is a stupid, stupid idea.

You need to build equity, not waste it.
Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

Yeah I'd hang on to the Yaris, defer for later getting something more fun.

Maybe do something low cost to make it more habitable without compromising its resale value: perhaps a decent 35% window tint (more comfortable on hot days), or perhaps upgrade the music system a notch with some bluetooth wizardry.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

2o6

Jesus Christ, did I ask for any financial advice?

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2014, 10:43:27 AM
Jesus Christ, did I ask for any financial advice?

No, but you knew you were going to get it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2014, 10:49:44 AM
No, but you knew you were going to get it.

It's gone from being amusing to fucking annoying.

Every goddamn thread. Everything is a bad idea. Everything is a poor financial decision.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2014, 08:37:55 AM
Mods are always a financially bad decision--not something someone in Kevin's position should be sinking money into right now.

Meh, suspension/wheels/tires is fairly basic. If he is looking to flip the car I'd agree with you, but his Yaris is relatively new, looks relatively nice, and would likely be reasonably fun to drive if it wasn't so squishy. Its got a decent engine (relative to the cars size/weight) and a manual transmission so its not like he needs to slap a turbo on it.  :lol: