My 1st Speeding Ticket

Started by Rich, April 07, 2014, 11:13:18 AM

Rich

36 in a 30 on the outskirts of Cambridge.

Lame, I know.  I just found out from the rental company.  I got flashed by a camera

Fuckers
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME    :lol:

Mine was 42mph in a 20mph zone. Hometown, heading to McD's to get food before the homecoming football game. Whole stupid town is 20mph.
Will

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 07, 2014, 11:13:18 AM
36 in a 30 on the outskirts of Cambridge.

Lame, I know.  I just found out from the rental company.  I got flashed by a camera

Fuckers

Damn, I was going to congratulate you but only 6 miles over? I am amazed they actually give out a ticket for such a small infraction.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 07, 2014, 01:42:58 PM
Damn, I was going to congratulate you but only 6 miles over? I am amazed they actually give out a ticket for such a small infraction.

Speed cameras use no discretion.  It's black or white.  A human cop probably would have let it slide unless it was a slow day.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

dazzleman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 07, 2014, 01:42:58 PM

:hesaid:
You waited all this time for a speeder and this is the best you can do?  :lol:

Camera tickets don't cut it anyway.  If I'm going to get a ticket,  I expect it to be personally delivered,  on the spot.  This is shifty service.

I sure hope you can do better than this next time... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

Pitiful.  But, I give you credit for mustering the courage to tell the story.

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on April 07, 2014, 06:42:44 PM
Pitiful.  But, I give you credit for mustering the courage to tell the story.

:lol:
I wonder how much the fine will be.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Catman

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on April 07, 2014, 06:53:10 PM
Should be severe!

I'll be really upset if it's not.  The guy is a menace to society and needs to be severely punished.  I think a weekend lockup is in order, plus a heavy fine.  Fucking guy thinks he can break the law with impunity.

Rupert

6 MPH? Jesus, are British miles longer or something?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 07, 2014, 07:51:29 PM
6 MPH? Jesus, are British miles longer or something?

That's 20% over the speed limit.  A severe infraction, in my opinion, and the state needs to really drop the hammer on him.  :heated:

Colin

Quote from: MX793 on April 07, 2014, 03:31:12 PM
Speed cameras use no discretion.  It's black or white.  A human cop probably would have let it slide unless it was a slow day.

We automated the process in the UK a long time ago! far more cameras than there are real policemen.

10% +2 is the general rule, and as 30 mph limits are generally in built up areas, housing around schools etc, then there is less tolerance than say a 40 or 50 limit, and you would be unlucky to get done for less than 85 on a 70 limit motorway.

It will be a fixed penalty, and 3 points to those with a UK licence (12 points in a 3 year period and you are off the road for 12 months). 

dazzleman

Quote from: Colin on April 08, 2014, 12:56:09 AM
We automated the process in the UK a long time ago! far more cameras than there are real policemen.

10% +2 is the general rule, and as 30 mph limits are generally in built up areas, housing around schools etc, then there is less tolerance than say a 40 or 50 limit, and you would be unlucky to get done for less than 85 on a 70 limit motorway.

It will be a fixed penalty, and 3 points to those with a UK licence (12 points in a 3 year period and you are off the road for 12 months).

How do they actually identify the driver in order to assess points?

Colin

The fine is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle, and they have a legal obligation to declare who was driving the car.

There were cases where people getting close to the 12 points were trying to get someone else to claim they were driving instead, but after a very high profile case where the MP Chris Hulme got his (now ex) wife to say she was driving when she was not, they both ended up in gaol for offences including obstructing the course of justice and perjury. It is clear that they were made an example of, to make the point. But I am sure it still goes on, as most cameras in the UK get the back of the car so you cannot see the driver.

More pernicious are the average speed cameras set up over in some cases long distances. They are an almost automatic feature now of any road works on motorways.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Colin on April 08, 2014, 02:23:18 PM
They are an almost automatic feature now of any road works on motorways.

I got tagged by one like this in Germany, and I would have had to have been hard on the brakes from the time seeing the 80km/h sign to where the camera was... (48mph? down from 120km/h (75mph?))
Will

dazzleman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 08, 2014, 07:29:14 PM
I got tagged by one like this in Germany, and I would have had to have been hard on the brakes from the time seeing the 80km/h sign to where the camera was... (48mph? down from 120km/h (75mph?))

You really need to stop making excuses and thinking you are above the law... ;)

dazzleman

Quote from: Colin on April 08, 2014, 02:23:18 PM
The fine is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle, and they have a legal obligation to declare who was driving the car.

There were cases where people getting close to the 12 points were trying to get someone else to claim they were driving instead, but after a very high profile case where the MP Chris Hulme got his (now ex) wife to say she was driving when she was not, they both ended up in gaol for offences including obstructing the course of justice and perjury. It is clear that they were made an example of, to make the point. But I am sure it still goes on, as most cameras in the UK get the back of the car so you cannot see the driver.

More pernicious are the average speed cameras set up over in some cases long distances. They are an almost automatic feature now of any road works on motorways.

How do the average speed cameras work?  I've never heard of them.

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on April 08, 2014, 07:38:43 PM
How do the average speed cameras work?  I've never heard of them.
They record your license plate at multiple points and then compute your average speed by dividing the known distance by the observed elapsed time.

They write tickets if your average speed was higher than the posted limit.

The future is now and it sucks!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on April 08, 2014, 07:40:02 PM
They record your license plate at multiple points and then compute your average speed by dividing the known distance by the observed elapsed time.

They write tickets if your average speed was higher than the posted limit.

The future is now and it sucks!

Are they used anywhere in the US?  I'd be in big trouble if they were used around here.. :lol:

I don't like the idea of camera tickets.  They seem to violate our basic norms of justice that call for being able to face your accuser.

J86

Rupert

Camera tickets are bullshit in all forms. Fuck that shit, yo.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 08, 2014, 11:42:09 PM
Camera tickets are bullshit in all forms. Fuck that shit, yo.

They're probably going to spread, unfortunately.

Rupert

Seems like they haven't so far. No reason why they'd start being popular in the States.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on April 10, 2014, 07:34:36 PM
Seems like they haven't so far. No reason why they'd start being popular in the States.

We'd all be in big trouble if there were a lot of those speed cameras around.

Rupert

We might get the limits raised to 80, though! :lol:

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on April 10, 2014, 08:53:10 PM
We might get the limits raised to 80, though! :lol:

I no longer care about such foolishness until I get an overdrive. :lol:

Northlands

Cameras are all over the place where I live. Mostly at intersections, but there's a growing about of stealth implementations of the kind. A lot of parked vehicles with a camera on the bumper. So far they're easy to spot since they are almost always late model domestic cars and small SUV's.

Generally any spirited driving that occurs on my part is outside of town.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

dazzleman

Quote from: Northlands on April 11, 2014, 10:55:00 AM
Cameras are all over the place where I live. Mostly at intersections, but there's a growing about of stealth implementations of the kind. A lot of parked vehicles with a camera on the bumper. So far they're easy to spot since they are almost always late model domestic cars and small SUV's.

Generally any spirited driving that occurs on my part is outside of town.

Are the intersection cameras there to nail you for speeding or blowing the red light?

Soup DeVille

Ehh, I don't really think this counts as a "real" ticket. Somehow without the roadside chat with Buford T. Justice it just wouldn't be as satisfying, you know?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rich

Not bad for 235,000 miles driven over 14 years.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT