Transparent Bonnet (hood)

Started by AutobahnSHO, April 10, 2014, 07:08:35 AM

Soup DeVille

Very cool concept: wonder how well it works once the cameras are covered in mud and are scraped over a few rocks.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 10, 2014, 07:22:59 AM
Very cool concept: wonder how well it works once the cameras are covered in mud and are scraped over a few rocks.

:hesaid:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 10, 2014, 07:22:59 AM

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 10, 2014, 08:03:57 PM
:hesaid:

Why do you guys have to be such buzz kills. I would imagine Land Rover, of all companies, would have thought about that given how their cars (in theory) can go off road quite well. So they would have to be able to take some level of abuse, I'm assuming.

Otherwise, it's kinda pointless.

giant_mtb

I'd rather ask questions than make assumptions. It's fucking cool. We're just curious about it. :huh:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 10, 2014, 11:53:50 PM
I'd rather ask questions than make assumptions. It's fucking cool. We're just curious about it. :huh:

"As our vehicles become more capable and offer increasing autonomy off-road, we will ensure the driver has the confidence to progress over any terrain," Dr. Wolfgang Epple, director of research and technology for Jaguar Land Rover, said in a statement. "We are developing new technologies including the Transparent Bonnet to give drivers an augmented view of reality to help them tackle anything from the toughest off-road route to the tight confines of urban parking."

I just can't imagine they'd say something like that if the cameras were easily shattered/made inoperable.

Then again, maybe not. It's a Land Rover...where everything tends to break. :lol:

BENZ BOY15

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 11, 2014, 10:08:42 AM
"As our vehicles become more capable and offer increasing autonomy off-road, we will ensure the driver has the confidence to progress over any terrain," Dr. Wolfgang Epple, director of research and technology for Jaguar Land Rover, said in a statement. "We are developing new technologies including the Transparent Bonnet to give drivers an augmented view of reality to help them tackle anything from the toughest off-road route to the tight confines of urban parking."

I just can't imagine they'd say something like that if the cameras were easily shattered/made inoperable.

Then again, maybe not. It's a Land Rover...where everything tends to break. :lol:

That's a sales release.

It's not u reasonable to wonder if the cameras can see through mud, or if they'll operate underwater (Range Rovers have always had electrical problems, if they haven't perfected the art of keeping the distributor dry...)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Who takes a brand new LR off-roading anyway?  I'm not talking about a pebble hill like the sample video showed (I could do that in my A4, for Christ's sake).  Don't really see LRs offroad until they're old and on their 3rd owner...which is when everything's starting to fail anyways... :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2014, 05:32:30 PM
Who takes a brand new LR off-roading anyway?  I'm not talking about a pebble hill like the sample video showed (I could do that in my A4, for Christ's sake).  Don't really see LRs offroad until they're old and on their 3rd owner...which is when everything's starting to fail anyways... :lol:

That's basically true; but if the sales pitch is what they're selling...

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 11, 2014, 05:35:38 PM
That's basically true; but if the sales pitch is what they're selling...

It's sooooo cool.  I'd love to see some sample videos of some real wheelin' once it (potentially?) is implemented on production vehicles.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2014, 05:38:02 PM
It's sooooo cool.  I'd love to see some sample videos of some real wheelin' once it (potentially?) is implemented on production vehicles.

I think the idea has more potential as a blind spot eliminator for more mundane traffic and pedestrian checking duties

Soup DeVille

It so amuses me with the ability to watch your oil leak out of the crankcase in real time.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 11, 2014, 05:42:11 PM
I think the idea has more potential as a blind spot eliminator for more mundane traffic and pedestrian checking duties

Bleh.  More safety/lazy-driver-inspiring bullshit.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 11, 2014, 05:43:08 PM
It so amuses me with the ability to watch your oil leak out of the crankcase in real time.

They'll have censors for fluid leaks. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2014, 05:43:28 PM
Bleh.  More safety/lazy-driver-inspiring bullshit.

Yep, but that's what the market wants.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 11, 2014, 05:44:43 PM
Yep, but that's what the market wants.

All while superbly annoying digital interfaces get more and more complicated and time-intensive for the driver.

r0tor

How much of the hood can you really see from the drivers seat??
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

bing_oh

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2014, 05:32:30 PMWho takes a brand new LR off-roading anyway?  I'm not talking about a pebble hill like the sample video showed (I could do that in my A4, for Christ's sake).  Don't really see LRs offroad until they're old and on their 3rd owner...which is when everything's starting to fail anyways... :lol:

Exactly what I thought when I first saw this. Nobody who buys a new Land Rover would need to see if they're about to drop off of a giant cliff while off-roading...unless that cliff was in the middle of a private school parking lot while they're picking up their yuppie-spawn from cello lessons.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm sure the most use it will see is the mechanics using it to easily line up the car on the hoist. Atleast for the first year or so, then I'm sure it will stop working altogether.

TurboDan

Quote from: bing_oh on April 14, 2014, 09:53:02 AM
Exactly what I thought when I first saw this. Nobody who buys a new Land Rover would need to see if they're about to drop off of a giant cliff while off-roading...unless that cliff was in the middle of a private school parking lot while they're picking up their yuppie-spawn from cello lessons.

Meh. It's not brand new anymore, but I've always used my LR to drive in sand and muck and on off-road trails to get to fishing locations. The "yuppie" stereotype annoys me. I'm sure a few pickup truck drivers would be likewise annoyed if I declared them a bunch of overcompensating redneck yokels.  :devil: ;)

Laconian

This is for more for keeping the drivers of Chelsea Tractors from clobbering the concrete barriers in Trader Joe's parking lots.

(still looks cool! I love augmented reality.)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

It's true about pickups, though. At least the lifted ones.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA