Whatever happened to step side trucks?

Started by Mustangfan2003, April 17, 2014, 04:08:12 PM

Mustangfan2003

It's seems that in the mid to late 2000s they started to be phased out.  I think the 2008 F150 was the last step side truck you could get right before the refresh for 2009.  I guess it makes economical sense considering it wasn't that popular of a choice anymore, it's not as aerodynamic, and it offers less space.  I am a bit surprised it lasted even that long.  The step side trucks made from the 60s all the way to the 80s weren't that attractive and it seems that Dodge stopped making them a long time ago.  I do remember that Toyota made a step side Tundra and Tacoma but I don't think they sold very many. 

Byteme

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on April 17, 2014, 04:08:12 PM
It's seems that in the mid to late 2000s they started to be phased out.  I think the 2008 F150 was the last step side truck you could get right before the refresh for 2009.  I guess it makes economical sense considering it wasn't that popular of a choice anymore, it's not as aerodynamic, and it offers less space.  I am a bit surprised it lasted even that long.  The step side trucks made from the 60s all the way to the 80s weren't that attractive and it seems that Dodge stopped making them a long time ago.  I do remember that Toyota made a step side Tundra and Tacoma but I don't think they sold very many.

I always felt the stepside bed was a waste of money.  Reduced hauling capacity for some questionable looks.

hotrodalex

Looked cool in the 50s but they just seem kinda silly on modern trucks. Just step on the tire if you need a boost.

Mustangfan2003

The beds on the later model trucks didn't look too bad since they didn't look as bulky

but yeah like I said the 60s to 80s beds looked bad

Mustangfan2003

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Mustangfan2003

Looks like you have to have tiny ass feet to jump into the back of the Tundra. 

giant_mtb

The only truck that I ever thought looked okay (perhaps even better than its non-stepside brethren) was the later Rangers.

BENZ BOY15

The stepside pickup never made much sense to me. Just seemed like a waste of space for a feature that you'll use...how many times? Probably not many. I also suppose it's just different from your usual/standard pickup and some people might want it just for that. :huh:

Regardless, can't say I'm shedding tears over their demise.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 17, 2014, 06:08:53 PM
Looked cool in the 50s but they just seem kinda silly on modern trucks. Just step on the tire if you need a boost.

Exactly. Real men step on the tire. Don't need no step.

Rupert

I would use a step side bed all the time at work. Probably nearly half the times I drove the truck. Standing on the wheel is good enough, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 18, 2014, 02:22:59 AM

Real men work smarter, not harder.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

BENZ BOY15

BENZ BOY15

The worst pickup ever was the H2.

:facepalm:

I'm looking at one right now that's white with pink windshield wipers.

Mustangfan2003

Rupert

Mustangfan2003

but it's badass and you can go almost anywhere. 

Rupert

And it's terrible to drive, so why would you want to go anywhere at all?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on April 18, 2014, 08:49:50 PM
HMMV

It's a terrible civilian vehicle.

HMMWV, noob.

And the best reason to drive one is that if you really, really don't like sitting next to your wife you have this giant tabletop between you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 19, 2014, 05:24:25 AM
HMMWV, noob.

And the best reason to drive one is that if you really, really don't like sitting next to your wife you have this giant tabletop between you.

So she can serve you dinner in the car?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 19, 2014, 05:35:24 AM
So she can serve you dinner in the car?

Plus, it's so noisy, you can't hear her nag!
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

BENZ BOY15

HMMWV, noob.

But I guess no road head then.

:huh:

hotrodalex

Rupert

HMMWV, noob.

I knew there needed to be more zigzags...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 19, 2014, 03:32:53 PM
But I guess no road head then.

:huh:

you could stop and do anything you want in the middle. huge.

Oh and HMMWVs can go over ANYTHING that isn't too narrow.
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on April 18, 2014, 09:03:04 PM
but it's badass and you can go almost anywhere. 
Looks like a garbage dumpster on wheels.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 22, 2014, 03:08:45 PM
you could stop and do anything you want in the middle. huge.

Oh and HMMWVs can go over ANYTHING that isn't too narrow.

Road head = no stopping.

NomisR

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 18, 2014, 02:22:59 AM

So what are you going to use?  :mask:

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 19, 2014, 05:43:09 AM
Plus, it's so noisy, you can't hear her nag!

I need one.. but seriously though, considering how big they are, they're not roomy at all..