Electric Motorcycles

Started by hotrodalex, April 23, 2014, 02:45:23 PM

hotrodalex

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/23/yamaha-pes1-ped1-electric-motorcycles-production/

A big player in the two-wheeled world is hopping into the electric market. Yamaha's PES1 (pictured above) and PED1 (pictured right) battery-powered concepts are going into production in the near future, the company announced. Both bikes originally debuted at the 2013 Tokyo Motor Show.

According to Visor Down, the Yamaha disclosed in its annual report that both cycles would be in production by 2016. "In addition to the advantages of being electrically powered, these motorcycles will offer the operability expected by existing motorcycle fans, together with a new riding experience," said a portion of the announcement.

If their skeletal looks don't give it away, these are some very light motorcycles. In concept form, Yamaha reported that the PES1 sport bike weighed less than 221 pounds, and the PED1 dirt bike weighed less than 187 pounds. Power came from a removable lithium-ion battery pack and brushless DC motor that were housed in a monocoque frame that was shared by both cycles. The concepts were equipped with a transmission with both manual and automatic modes.

Yamaha hasn't released performance figures for either bike yet. However, an earlier video suggested that the top speed of the PES1 was limited to 62 miles per hour. Granted, that was the concept version, and the production model could be faster.

Considering that Yamaha has a long and storied history of building fantastic bikes with internal combustion engines, we have high hopes it can do the same to challenge the electric cycle world.

I'd be very interested in a plug in bike if they have decent performance and range. I'd be using a bike for save on gas around town, so what better way to do that than with a battery powered model?

MX793

I'm not sure I see electric bikes appealing to the typical American motorcycle rider.  One of the key components of the motorcycle is the rumble and roar of the engine.  If it wasn't you wouldn't see nearly as many people riding big V-twin cruisers with the loudest pipes they can find.  That's not to say they wouldn't find some takers in the economical, urban commuter segment.  However, a fair number of those folks opt for scooters because, well, scooter riders aren't as image conscious as bike riders and scooters are really quite good for commuting in congested, urban environments.  And in light of that, I think any bike manufacturer looking to venture into the electric realm would be best served focusing on electric scooters.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

J86

I think the electric bikes might capture/create another segment- folks who had no interest in motorcycles due to the big v-twins and the types who ride them, but are attracted to the new technology.  You'll get Saab buyers :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on April 23, 2014, 03:12:24 PM
I'm not sure I see electric bikes appealing to the typical American motorcycle rider.  One of the key components of the motorcycle is the rumble and roar of the engine.  If it wasn't you wouldn't see nearly as many people riding big V-twin cruisers with the loudest pipes they can find.  That's not to say they wouldn't find some takers in the economical, urban commuter segment.  However, a fair number of those folks opt for scooters because, well, scooter riders aren't as image conscious as bike riders and scooters are really quite good for commuting in congested, urban environments.  And in light of that, I think any bike manufacturer looking to venture into the electric realm would be best served focusing on electric scooters.

Its a fair point, but a "motorcycle shape" says "serious" and a scooter says "plaything" to a certain extent, and if the point is to sell the electric bike as a "real motorcycle" it might help to make it look like one.

I don't think anybody really knows yet precisely what sort of market these might attract, so the smart thing to do might be to make a couple different models of each and see what pans out better.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 25, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
Its a fair point, but a "motorcycle shape" says "serious" and a scooter says "plaything" to a certain extent, and if the point is to sell the electric bike as a "real motorcycle" it might help to make it look like one.

I don't think anybody really knows yet precisely what sort of market these might attract, so the smart thing to do might be to make a couple different models of each and see what pans out better.

I'm sure somebody would buy it.  If not in the US, it (and other electrics) could be very successful in other markets.  The US is hardly representative of the world motorcycle market, nor does it reflect the motorcycle preferences of the rest of the world (cruisers are an American phenomenon... the rest of the world loves standards, which sell poorly in America... etc).  In terms of US market sales, I think scooter buyers would be far more apt to go electric than motorcycle buyers.  Maybe some of the people who buy the small, super-economical bikes (i.e. Rebel 250s) in lieu of scooters for short distance commuting would be swayed to electric, but most recreational riders (like myself) who like to go out and ride 150, 200, or 300+ miles on a sunny Saturday aren't going to be interested in a machine that can only go 100 miles (or less) and then needs to be plugged into an outlet for several hours.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

For me I'm attracted to electric because I'd be using it to commute and scooters are the stupidest vehicles on the road. I'd be replacing a normal bike with an electric one, mostly for the technology actually. I think it'd be neat. Gas isn't much of a concern (certainly any bike is a HUGE step up from my car) so it would just be a cheap fun way to get my EV kick compared to buying a Tesla.

12,000 RPM

Electric motors would be great for scooters. Motorcycles, hell no. Motorcycles might be ICE's last salvation.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

I appreciate different kinds of technology and transportation. While bike engines certainly add a certain element to the experience, I think an electric model would be neat as well. Just because you have one doesn't mean you can't have the other.

FlatBlackCaddy

I rode a electric powered dirt bike, it was actually really cool. I'd ride a electric sport bike.

FlatBlackCaddy

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 04, 2014, 06:04:08 PM
I appreciate different kinds of technology and transportation. While bike engines certainly add a certain element to the experience, I think an electric model would be neat as well. Just because you have one doesn't mean you can't have the other.
I suppose. But many of electric vehicles biggest proponents are all about abandoning ICE, which I'm not with. I think that might be part of why I hate EVs.

I don't know how it could be done, but I think a hybrid motorcycle could work. Current gen Prius battery is ~120lbs. Cut that by 2/4-3/4 for a bike and that could help a good bit while not weighing much. Only challenge would be packaging, which they could deal with like those MotoGP under seat tanks. In NYC all the Chinese delivery guys have electric-assist bikes and they fucking fly. So a hybrid motorcycle/scooter could do well and combine the best aspects of both types of propulsion.

hotrodalex

Payman

New e-bike from Caterham:

WANT

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 02, 2014, 05:22:58 PM
A company called Mission is also building some cool bikes.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/02/translogic-mission-motorcycles-rs-video/

59 THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

And I love how they claim they perform better than any of the liter superbikes or that you'd have to spend more on a traditional bike to get their level of performance and then give specs like 0-60 in 3 seconds (which is basically the same as any of the superbike class, as well as my bike) and top speeds of 150 mph (or less on some models), which is well below what the literbike class will do.  They also claim better range, but the longest range vehicle they have advertises 140 miles in "real world driving", which is no better than any of the literbikes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

I think the Missions weigh like 550 lbs too

Ridiculous

MX793

Did a bit of additional reading on this bike and it may be more capable than I gave it credit for.  The RS model is apparently a special edition limited to 40 units.  That's to commemorate it setting an E-vehicle lap record at Laguna Seca while winning the e-bike GP race there by a 40 second margin (in an 8 lap race) a couple of years ago.  Best lap time was right there with the 600 SportBike class, although I doubt the battery would hold up long enough for it to actually try to compete against the ICE powered bikes, which run ~23 laps on that track. 

The standard, R model, which is slightly lower spec, goes for a slightly more reasonable $32K.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Local Honda dealership has some Zero bikes.

Cheapest one was $15k. No thanks...
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Cookie Monster

Zero's are made in Scotts Valley, about an hour from my house. A lot of people here like them but I still don't understand the appeal. Being able to scream into a 5-digit RPM redline, or downshifting at 8k and hearing the exhaust pop and backfire, or being able to "drop a gear and disappear" is a HUGE, HUGE part of the appeal of motorcycling. Take all that away and I'd rather ride a bicycle. At least I'd get the exercise.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: thecarnut on January 29, 2016, 10:18:47 AM
Zero's are made in Scotts Valley, about an hour from my house. A lot of people here like them but I still don't understand the appeal. Being able to scream into a 5-digit RPM redline, or downshifting at 8k and hearing the exhaust pop and backfire, or being able to "drop a gear and disappear" is a HUGE, HUGE part of the appeal of motorcycling. Take all that away and I'd rather ride a bicycle. At least I'd get the exercise.

On a lectrik bike you can drop the potentiometer down a few ohms and disappear. :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Still not with these

Too cold to ride here but every couple of weeks I go to the garage and fire up the bike. Brum BRRRRRDDDDDRRRRUUUM. NOBODY does that with an electric bike. I wonder what the procedure is for winterizing an e-bike. Big ass trickle charger? Heated indoor storage? No thx, dyno juice and a Yoshimura pipe pls.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 29, 2016, 12:13:06 PM
Still not with these

Too cold to ride here but every couple of weeks I go to the garage and fire up the bike. Brum BRRRRRDDDDDRRRRUUUM. NOBODY does that with an electric bike. I wonder what the procedure is for winterizing an e-bike. Big ass trickle charger? Heated indoor storage? No thx, dyno juice and a Yoshimura pipe pls.

You don't make any sense. I mean, sure broom brooming is fun, but the winterization argument won't go anywhere.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 29, 2016, 12:13:06 PM
Still not with these

Well, it's even fewer steps than winterizing a bike with both a battery and gas!  ;) :huh: