Why are wheel spacers bad?

Started by Rupert, April 27, 2014, 01:54:08 PM

Why are wheel spacers bad?

Something about more leverage on the suspension or whatever (explain).
1 (20%)
Some other engineer-y reason (explain).
0 (0%)
They aren't (explain).
2 (40%)
Only stance assholes have them.
0 (0%)
Birds.
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Rupert

There was a little discussion on this a while ago, but I can't remember if they were bad or not bad, or if it was because of wear on the suspension due to effectively longer control arms or because birds.

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

Are they?

I've heard some people say they are(people who don't have them and don't use them), then I hear they are fine if they are not huge(over 30MMish). I normally hear that from people who have used them for years and have them on dedicated track cars with tons of hours on them.

hotrodalex

A small spacer in normal conditions is fine.

A large spacer in tough track conditions can cause problems.

FlatBlackCaddy

What's a "large spacer", 20mm?

I'm sure the normal stuff that is 5-10MM is fine for any use.

Rupert

Seems like changing the offset would have almost the same effect?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on April 27, 2014, 02:09:33 PM

I'd think it would, since the length would be measured from the center of the wheel to the pivot point. That's my uneducated guess.

Soup DeVille

They Can be bad. Given that they almost always accompany a wheel size change, it depends on the application. What they will do, on any given wheel, is change the scrub radius of the front wheels; which is the difference between the machanical center of the turning axis- as described by an imaginary line running through the center of both of the ball joints and touching the concrete, and the center of the contact patch of the tire- which is what the tire really wants to rotate around.

This can be good, or bad, depending on what the scrub radius was originally.

To be honest, I don't think th epeople who poo-poo them regardles really think it through- if you're going to a larger wheel you're already changing most of that anyways- you're already changing the original backspacing and in most cases, increasing the potential torque between the ball joints anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

That makes sense-- but what would be a good scrub radius vs. a bad scrub radius/what would the effects be?

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on April 27, 2014, 02:09:33 PM

For the most part yes.

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 27, 2014, 02:07:28 PM
What's a "large spacer", 20mm?

I'm sure the normal stuff that is 5-10MM is fine for any use.

I wouldn't wanna go much more than 0.5" (12 mm), but that's not a scientifically based view. If you need that large of a spacer, you should just fix the wheel fitment issue instead of trying to bandaid it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on April 27, 2014, 02:24:01 PM
That makes sense-- but what would be a good scrub radius vs. a bad scrub radius/what would the effects be?

In general, smaller is better and zero is ideal. That's not an absolute, as a small bit can help the steering to self-center, but that's generally done better by increasing caster. Too large of a scrub radius increases bump steer, brake steer and torque steer; especially on real world roads (read shitty).

For guys that track their cars, and generally aren't too concerned with road manners, the benefits of squeezing as much tire as possible outweigh the downsides.

The only time I've ever really heard of spacers causing a failure, they were installed to mount some stupid oversized wanksta wheels which were bound to break something eventually anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

And large means the wheel is further to the outside?

MrH

The biggest concern is whether you get enough threads of engagement on your studs.  A lot of people put spacers on with the stock studs and they aren't long enough to get enough engagement.  You'll really stress the few threads you do get a grab on then.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on April 27, 2014, 03:10:47 PM
And large means the wheel is further to the outside?

Yes.

Well, I guess theoretically it could be too far to the inside too, but that rarely ever happens, so lets pretend it doesn't.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MrH on April 27, 2014, 03:16:30 PM
The biggest concern is whether you get enough threads of engagement on your studs.  A lot of people put spacers on with the stock studs and they aren't long enough to get enough engagement.  You'll really stress the few threads you do get a grab on then.

Well that isn't the spacers fault. That's a stupid people problem.

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2014, 03:18:17 PM
Yes.

Well, I guess theoretically it could be too far to the inside too, but that rarely ever happens, so lets pretend it doesn't.

I was thinking positive vs negative, but I can see how it all works.

This is purely an aesthetic thing ATM. As H pointed out a while ago, the rear wheels are really far in in relation to the fender, and I think it looks goofy. Sort of trying to ascertain if adding ~20 mm spacers/adapters to the rear only would impact performance/longevity. The real goal is new wheels, but it looks like I can either go Turbo Twist or Cup wheels for ~$800 (still requiring spacers, I think, and not the look I like), or get the wheels I really like for $2000+, and that's not going to happen for a long while.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on April 27, 2014, 03:29:12 PM
I was thinking positive vs negative, but I can see how it all works.

This is purely an aesthetic thing ATM. As H pointed out a while ago, the rear wheels are really far in in relation to the fender, and I think it looks goofy. Sort of trying to ascertain if adding ~20 mm spacers/adapters to the rear only would impact performance/longevity. The real goal is new wheels, but it looks like I can either go Turbo Twist or Cup wheels for ~$800 (still requiring spacers, I think, and not the look I like), or get the wheels I really like for $2000+, and that's not going to happen for a long while.

So, this is for the rears alone? Stop worrying about it. People have done much, much goofier things to Miatas for years, and most of them didn't break their cars.

CJ

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2014, 03:42:47 PM
So, this is for the rears alone? Stop worrying about it.

:hesaid:

Rear has much less to worry about compared to front suspension geometry.

Rupert

r0tor

Thicker spacers are almost safer because they usually have studs integrated into them.  Most of the 10-15mm spacers use the stock studs with less thread engagement
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: r0tor on April 28, 2014, 10:42:03 AM
Thicker spacers are almost safer because they usually have studs integrated into them.  Most of the 10-15mm spacers use the stock studs with less thread engagement

Unless you do the proper thing and put longer studs on. This isn't a failure of the spacer.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: r0tor on April 28, 2014, 10:42:03 AM

Oh those things look scary. I'm not bolting on bolts. So many new potential failure points.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

Nope, no way, looks like one of those silly 95 Pathfinders with the sticky-outy wheels. My calculations should have worked!

hotrodalex

Rupert

MrH

how big of spacers are we talking?  A few mm, or some stance kid monster ones?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Between the two. I measured the plumb line distance from the front fender to the wheel, and then got spacers to make the back match. Apparently that was a bad strategy. :P Lesson learned.

12,000 RPM

I want spacers for the Z. Popular mod. Thinkin about getting G35 19s. So hellaflush. Much tire rub.

Before

After

Don't know if you can see these.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs