McLaren F1 vs Porsche Carrera GT

Started by cawimmer430, November 26, 2005, 07:33:22 AM

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Wait...which one won?  Which car was faster at the Nordschleife?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Secret Chimp

I found an F1 time of 7:45. Unless that's wrong, the GT has it beat by a fatass 5 seconds.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

That's pretty impressive for a car that costs a third of what the F1 did.

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BMWDave

The F1 was tremendously impressive for its time, but it costed soooo much.  And, I heard it has some faults, like its gearbox, and its body roll.  I would take an F40 over it.  And the CGT is so much better looking, IMO.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raza

This comparison would have been great if they were to run the F1, Enzo, CGT, SLR, Zonda, and Koenigsegg at the Nordschleife and had all the lap times compared.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

QuoteWait...which one won?  Which car was faster at the Nordschleife?
They basically compared the cars against each other from a historical POV. There was no winner in the end although Autobild still maintained that the McLaren F1 will be "up there" for a long time to come. No track times sadly.  ;)  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

QuoteWow...thanks for translating B)
No problem.  ;)  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

QuoteWait...which one won?  Which car was faster at the Nordschleife?
They basically compared the cars against each other from a historical POV. There was no winner in the end although Autobild still maintained that the McLaren F1 will be "up there" for a long time to come. No track times sadly.  ;)
It isn't "up there" now:

The Koenigsegg CCR is about 10 mph faster and should handle about as well (their curb weights are practically the same, so as long as the CCR's suspension was tuned properly it should be able to keep up with the F1 on the track).

cawimmer430

QuoteWait...which one won?? Which car was faster at the Nordschleife?
It isn't "up there" now:

The Koenigsegg CCR is about 10 mph faster and should handle about as well (their curb weights are practically the same, so as long as the CCR's suspension was tuned properly it should be able to keep up with the F1 on the track).
Well yes, but the very mention of the name "McLaren F1" carries more cache than the Koenigsegg CC. Wouldn't you agree? I think most people would still take the McLaren F1 over the Koenigsegg CC.  ;)  

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

Oh, all this time I thought we were talking about performance, not snob appeal. My mistake :rolleyes:

Secret Chimp

QuoteOh, all this time I thought we were talking about performance, not snob appeal. My mistake :rolleyes:
Take a class on not being a bitch sometime.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

TBR

Raza

QuoteOh, all this time I thought we were talking about performance, not snob appeal. My mistake :rolleyes:
It's not really snob appeal, it's about heritage.  That episode of Top Gear was right--you can't just shove a whole lot of power in a car and call it a legend, it has to become one.  The Mclaren F1 is a legend, the Koenigsegg isn't--not yet, anyway.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Two things: First, a car that is only 10 years old isn't a legend. Second, I assumed that when autobilt said that "the F1 will be up there for a long time to come," that they were talking about performance, not prestige.

Raza

QuoteTwo things: First, a car that is only 10 years old isn't a legend. Second, I assumed that when autobilt said that "the F1 will be up there for a long time to come," that they were talking about performance, not prestige.
The car may only be ten years old, but it is a legend.  It was the fastest car in the world for a decade, only to be surpassed by a Volkswagen on steroids very recently.  Everyone knows what a Mclaren F1 is--try finding a member of the hoi polloi that knows what a Koenigsegg CCR is.  

And perhaps it has been surpassed when it comes to performance, in top speed, anyway.  But there will never again be another car like the F1.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Well of course not, but it has been surpassed in performance by a car, from of all places, Sweden. The CCR is the Mclaren F1 of the 2000s.

giant_mtb

And then there's the part where it took automakers 10+ years to make a car that can even compete with the F1...basically that makes it one helluva car.  I don't know why people complain that it "costs a million dollars"...This was 10 years ago, that type of performance was probably unheard of for a street car, and it is barely matched today, so why is 1 million so far fetched?  Come on.

TBR

That is because no one even really tried until Koenigsegg and that company doesn't have even close to the same resources Mclaren had.  

Run Away

The "Fastest Car in the World" title is just that, a title. There are/were faster production cars made at the time. Daeur 962LM?