LaFerrari reviews

Started by Colin, April 29, 2014, 04:11:04 PM

GoCougs

Thing is this is not a race or track car. It's definitely a street car and you bet our bottom dollar can be enjoyed on the street.

r0tor

You can't "race" it as there is no series, there is no roll cage, fire suppression, ect
You can't take it to a drag strip as you will be booted after 1 run since there is no roll cage

You can take it to track days and drive it along side of $2k miatas and be held up by them though!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on April 30, 2014, 07:55:15 PM
Well, I doubt anyone on this site will ever really ever have the "problem" of having one of these anyway.

Lebowski might. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

You guys bitch too much.

If an automaker came out with a car you could exploit on public roads , say something g like a 60HP super light RWD something or other, you guys would complain it's too slow. But something like a 350z you say you can't exploit either....

If I owned a car company, I'd make a car that I would want and let you guys catch th fuck up.

68_427

You should R1 swap the yaris
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2014, 10:14:08 AM
You guys bitch too much.

If an automaker came out with a car you could exploit on public roads , say something g like a 60HP super light RWD something or other, you guys would complain it's too slow. But something like a 350z you say you can't exploit either....

If I owned a car company, I'd make a car that I would want and let you guys catch th fuck up.

The BRZ/FR-S should be the just right recipe, but people here still complain it's too slow and that the torque dip kills the car :facepalm:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on May 01, 2014, 10:17:15 AM
You should R1 swap the yaris

There's a gently used turbo setup for the 1.5 around the corner from me for just under $1000....

And that Altima is almost done....

Quote from: MrH on May 01, 2014, 10:55:49 AM
The BRZ/FR-S should be the just right recipe, but people here still complain it's too slow and that the torque dip kills the car :facepalm:

To be fair, the lack of torque got annoying when I drove it

Raza

You guys bitch too much.

Hey, when people were complaining about the BRZ, I was saying it was great that it was a car you could have fun with on regular roads.  350Z isn't that much quicker; you can get illegal fast, but not really dangerous.  I mean, regular family sedans are so quick now that they can get illegal quickly, that's not the only criteria.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

You guys bitch too much.

I think the Miata and BRZ are about the most perfect cars you can buy now. I could have more fun in them then just about anything on the road.

MexicoCityM3

You guys bitch too much.

My problem is not that it isn't fun, it's more the absolute, lomg-term unnatainabilty of it. For example, a current GT3 I might be able to get used say in 8 years if I'm lucky. This. Never.

Maybe I need to think bigger but it's a fucking million dollars +. Same reaso cars like a Veyron I don't really care about.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

Plus you have to have a history of buying Ferraris to get on the list. (I'm assuming, since IIRC that's how it was with the Enzo and other top models)

MX793

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 01, 2014, 06:58:37 PM
Plus you have to have a history of buying Ferraris to get on the list. (I'm assuming, since IIRC that's how it was with the Enzo and other top models)

That's how it is with all Ferraris except possibly the California.  To get a new Ferrari, you have to currently own a Ferrari (which generally means you need to start with a used one).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Amazing but definitely overkill. A phenomenal technical exercise... but at the end of the day, downright stupid on the street. If you can afford one of these you can afford regular track sessions... in which case, you don't need the hybrid tech or the safety stuff. I get the FXX cars now.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on May 01, 2014, 10:55:49 AM
It is, and it does. Good car, but far from perfect, especially in flat gridline Ohio. But then you have always seemed more concerned about cars' "philosophies" than their driving experiences. :huh:

BRZ/FR-S would be about perfect with 500ccs more displacement, ~30HP and a normal torque curve... none of which would come at any weight penalty, as shown by various other engines.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on May 01, 2014, 07:46:26 PM
That's how it is with all Ferraris except possibly the California.  To get a new Ferrari, you have to currently own a Ferrari (which generally means you need to start with a used one).

Here I can walk into a dealership (theoretically of course!) and order anything on the Ferrari product list except this LaFerrari.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 03, 2014, 08:28:39 AM
Amazing but definitely overkill. A phenomenal technical exercise... but at the end of the day, downright stupid on the street. If you can afford one of these you can afford regular track sessions... in which case, you don't need the hybrid tech or the safety stuff. I get the FXX cars now.

No hybrid tech = slower car.

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 03, 2014, 08:40:21 AM
It is, and it does. Good car, but far from perfect, especially in flat gridline Ohio. But then you have always seemed more concerned about cars' "philosophies" than their driving experiences. :huh:

BRZ/FR-S would be about perfect with 500ccs more displacement, ~30HP and a normal torque curve... none of which would come at any weight penalty, as shown by various other engines.

You've driven the briz?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on May 03, 2014, 12:50:46 PM
You've driven the briz?
Yea there is a Scion dealer near me. I know, it's fucked up to test drive cars I'm not gonna buy. But I had to. It was nice. Sharp. But slow. Reminded me of an old Integra, kind of.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 03, 2014, 08:05:23 PM
Yea there is a Scion dealer near me. I know, it's fucked up to test drive cars I'm not gonna buy. But I had to. It was nice. Sharp. But slow. Reminded me of an old Integra, kind of.

Don't feel bad.

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 03, 2014, 08:05:23 PM
If you knew most of the people who worked at the dealers you wouldn't feel bad at all.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on May 04, 2014, 04:21:57 AM
If you knew most of the people who worked at the dealers you wouldn't feel bad at all.
One of my father in laws is the archetypal car dealer.

hotrodalex

12,000 RPM

MrH

This is all I can think of when everyone in this thread just bitches about this car.

http://youtu.be/uEY58fiSK8E
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on May 04, 2014, 09:21:37 PM
This is all I can think of when everyone in this thread just bitches about this car.

Great routine.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 03, 2014, 10:19:06 AM
No hybrid tech = slower car.
Slower in what regard? Meaningless magazine straight line tests?

Don't forget, if you run at WOT long enough you will discharge the battery completely. I think it was either the P1 or the 918 that they said they gave just enough battery charge to do 1 ring lap. What happens when that lap is done?

Meanwhile dumping the hybrid stuff means consistent (albeit less manageable) performance all the time, and more importantly, 300-400lb of weight which will definitely make for more speed around a race track, which is where these cars belong

Quote from: MrH on May 04, 2014, 09:21:37 PM

O pls dont invoke the great Louis C.K. to rationalize your fetish for technological excess. The cars are great technical achievements but there is such a thing as too much performance depending on the individual. This would be a waste on the street, and the hybrid systems aren't of much use on the track. They did answer the question "can someone make a 900HP car that meets modern emissions standards" though. It's this kind of spec fetishizing that makes me hate these spec focused cars even more to be honest.

Catman

Interior panel gaps are too large.

MrH

You're really confused on what the meaning of "slower" is? :huh:

All three manufacturers said the cars will be significantly slower without the hybrid tech.  Most of the systems aren't 300-400 lbs, but besides, the weight is all very low and central to the vehicle.  Not nearly as big of an impact.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Onslaught

I must laugh at all the anti-hybrid talk. I welcome them working and improving the electrics for future cars that I can own. It's the one and only time trickle down ideas actually happens.
And stop throwing out numbers of how much this stuff weighs unless you have the numbers to back it up.

GoCougs

Hybrid tech has added a lot of performance to F1 as well but I'm still just not a fan.