LaFerrari reviews

Started by Colin, April 29, 2014, 04:11:04 PM

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on May 07, 2014, 01:41:51 PM
I'm talking about Sporty's post when the Engineers of the P1 was asked about the juice for the thing.  So based on the length of the track, of course YMMV,but it still won't last one full track session.

The Ring is a lot longer than 3.2 miles.  And all these cars have enough juice to run full out for at least a lap on there.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on May 07, 2014, 10:55:23 AM
It's relevant because you're trying to dismiss these cars because you could run out of battery power after doing multiple laps on the Nurburgring.

It's based on the assumption you would:

1.  Track this car regularly
2.  Drive this thing well enough to deplete the batteries
3.  Ship the thing to Europe to take on the ring
4.  Drive this thing for more than one lap of the ring at the time

No one here is capable of driving anywhere near the limits of the thing here, let alone multiple laps in a row like that.  I was sweating and breathing heavy after one lap at a time on the ring with a suzuki swift.  Your nerves would be shot and pants soiled after a lap in a LaFerrari.  To think you could just casually turn lap after lap full out in this thing, to the point that you're worried about depleting the batteries and slowing you down is so beyond ridiculous.

Yea... I dont go to the track regularly because I can't afford to. Are you saying that people who buy million dollar supercars can't afford to do track days :confused: Or have the cars shipped :confused: Or get lessons in high performance driving :confused: Have you ever heard of "gentlemen racers" :confused:

And again the P1 is good for 8 minutes on the Ring.... that might translate to 20-30 minutes on another track. Especially a fast one.

It all ties back to my bigger point though... in my opinion, trailer queening this car and never tracking it or learning how to begin to reach its limits confidently is a waste... and in my opinion an FXX version without all the hybrid stuff for strictly track use would make more sense. I get that these are rolling test beds for tech and will probably let Ferrari keep the rest of their sports car range NA in the future when this shit trickles down, but its still a little goofy to me, and I find your "Leave Britney Alone" indignance to be hilarious

And yes, people track cars like this, thank God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L-QqcHiWqw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAr-vvgqzwg
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

O and the FXX & 599XX are faster around Fiorano by 5-6 seconds. A lifetime on that track. So yea I'm not buying that these would be slower without the hybrid tech AT ALL.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

They're also not street legal.....

Soup DeVille

Yes, people track supercars, always have. They've also always been more about bragging rights around the club than times around a lap, and pretty much everybody knows it.Having the best ring the today is the same as having the highest top speed; it's not that you actually do it; it's about entertaining the fantasy that you could.

That's why specs are so damned important with these cars; because the buyers of them don't necessarily want to drive them the fastest, but they damned well do want to have the fastest possible car. Guys that really do want to go racing buy race cars; they may even buy one of each, but that doesn't change the basic purpose of them.

When money is no bject and you want to go racing; you buy a race car. If you want bragging rights, you buy a fast street car.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on May 07, 2014, 01:44:16 PM
The Ring is a lot longer than 3.2 miles.  And all these cars have enough juice to run full out for at least a lap on there.

I was looking at the wrong configuration, but even at the longest configuration at 16 miles, it's still not a race session, since you're looking at about 20+ miles per race, or even per 20-25 min track session for HPDE..  but then again, most people who drive these car probably won't even go 50% so I guess it wouldn't matter to them. 

MexicoCityM3

There are few satisfactions greater at a track day than passing guys who drive "my car does the ring in 40 seconds less than yours + i modded it to a gazillion horsepower" in your lowly BMW sedan and then have them come up to ask "what modifications do you have in your car?" and walk away incredulous after learning that it is stock.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Onslaught

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 08, 2014, 10:54:52 AM
Yes, people track supercars, always have. They've also always been more about bragging rights around the club than times around a lap, and pretty much everybody knows it.Having the best ring the today is the same as having the highest top speed; it's not that you actually do it; it's about entertaining the fantasy that you could.

That's why specs are so damned important with these cars; because the buyers of them don't necessarily want to drive them the fastest, but they damned well do want to have the fastest possible car. Guys that really do want to go racing buy race cars; they may even buy one of each, but that doesn't change the basic purpose of them.

When money is no bject and you want to go racing; you buy a race car. If you want bragging rights, you buy a fast street car.
This is 100% correct. And if money was no object to me I'd buy a LaFerrari to sit next to my F-40 and 458 and god knows how many other cars. and when I went out on the track in my back yard next to my private golf course,  I'd use a real track day car.

NomisR

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 08, 2014, 12:34:26 PM
There are few satisfactions greater at a track day than passing guys who drive "my car does the ring in 40 seconds less than yours + i modded it to a gazillion horsepower" in your lowly BMW sedan and then have them come up to ask "what modifications do you have in your car?" and walk away incredulous after learning that it is stock.

:lol:

If there's open passing, passing crappy drivers in really expensive cars is satisfying.  But what I hate is when you're in a point to pass sessions, getting stuck behind a slow driving fast car, where you can't pass them in the straight line, and unless passing in corner's allowed, you're stuck.  And even then, I can't really out run a "1000hp" Viper on the straight line even though I passed him on the corners.. :(

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: NomisR on May 08, 2014, 04:44:15 PM
:lol:

If there's open passing, passing crappy drivers in really expensive cars is satisfying.  But what I hate is when you're in a point to pass sessions, getting stuck behind a slow driving fast car, where you can't pass them in the straight line, and unless passing in corner's allowed, you're stuck.  And even then, I can't really out run a "1000hp" Viper on the straight line even though I passed him on the corners.. :(

Maybe not a "1000 hp"  :cheers: Viper. But I am sure that Lotus can open up enough of a lead on the twisty bits that many more powerful cars cannot catch up on the straights.

Point-to-pass sucks. My club here is free passing. I have been to a single point-to-pass event and it was at Road Atlanta. It takes away some of the fun for sure.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)