You just taken over a car company, what would you change?

Started by Mustangfan2003, May 02, 2014, 10:36:50 PM

Mustangfan2003

So let's say you are the new CEO of a car company of your chosing and what are 5 things you would do?  I'll go with Ford here

1.Fix Lincoln or kill it.  I'm not sure who they are trying to be a brand to compete with the likes of Lexus and BMW or against the likes of Acura and Buick?  With a new Mustang platform I think it should be spread around to build new rwd cars.  Maybe also bring over the aluminum body technology being used on the F150 to the entire brand. 

2.Bring back the Ranger.  I think there is still room for a truck like this here.  Some are built in South Africa, which isn't subject to the Chicken Tax.  The current engines used are a 2.5 I4 gas, 2.2 I4 diesel, and a 3.2 I5 diesel.  For the US I would just bring over the base gas and the larger diesel.  For the American market I would offer the 3.5 V6. 

3.More diesels.  You know I like diesel engines.  I would like to see the European diesls brought over for the small cars but maybe also offer that I5 diesel in larger cars like the Explorer and the Taurus (pretty much an old Volvo platform so it should fit).  I would also like to see a small V8 or larger V6 diesel for the full size trucks and SUVs.  An engine like that may not be a bad idea to offer for the new Transit as well since it should be more powerful than the I5. 

4.Rebirth of the GT part 3.  Still to this day one of the best looking sports cars from the past decade.  I would love to see another.  In todays world I figure it would need a hybrid system. 

5.Offer a car cheaper than the Fiesta.  With the Versa, Spark, and Mirage out there they must be a market for something like this. 

CALL_911

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on May 02, 2014, 10:36:50 PM
So let's say you are the new CEO of a car company of your chosing and what are 5 things you would do?  I'll go with Ford here

1.Fix Lincoln or kill it.  I'm not sure who they are trying to be a brand to compete with the likes of Lexus and BMW or against the likes of Acura and Buick?  With a new Mustang platform I think it should be spread around to build new rwd cars.  Maybe also bring over the aluminum body technology being used on the F150 to the entire brand.

Can't argue

2.Bring back the Ranger.  I think there is still room for a truck like this here.  Some are built in South Africa, which isn't subject to the Chicken Tax.  The current engines used are a 2.5 I4 gas, 2.2 I4 diesel, and a 3.2 I5 diesel.  For the US I would just bring over the base gas and the larger diesel.  For the American market I would offer the 3.5 V6.

I'm a skeptic, I just don't think this segment's really alive anymore.

3.More diesels.  You know I like diesel engines.  I would like to see the European diesls brought over for the small cars but maybe also offer that I5 diesel in larger cars like the Explorer and the Taurus (pretty much an old Volvo platform so it should fit).  I would also like to see a small V8 or larger V6 diesel for the full size trucks and SUVs.  An engine like that may not be a bad idea to offer for the new Transit as well since it should be more powerful than the I5.

Enthusiasts love diesels, but I also don't know if there's really a market for it. In theory, great, but in practice (in the US) ehhhh

4.Rebirth of the GT part 3.  Still to this day one of the best looking sports cars from the past decade.  I would love to see another.  In todays world I figure it would need a hybrid system.

Cool, but would be more of a Piech-esque move

5.Offer a car cheaper than the Fiesta.  With the Versa, Spark, and Mirage out there they must be a market for something like this.

Or decontent the Fiesta, move it downmarket. With a downmarket car and the Focus, the Fiesta would be effectively pointless.

It's too easy for me to say all the shit I'd like to do if I ran an automaker when I'm not the one looking at the bottom line (although I would switch up a few things at Honda). As much as it isn't "jalop" of me to say, I can't blame most automakers for doing what they do.

I would totally improve infotainment systems, though. How, I'm not sure. I think outsourcing infotainment to tech companies is a good move tbh.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Mustangfan2003

I know diesel is always a tough sell considering the price of the fuel and the fact that most people are only willing to trust the Germans but I had to throw it in there but who knows maybe more interest with half ton diesels will grow if Ram and Nissan do well with it.  I'll try to come up with some for other companies but I will tell you now that you mention Honda is I would love to see a new S2000 or maybe finally building the NSX. 

CALL_911

Biggest thing I would fix with Honda is Acura, and I'd start with the RLX. While I don't like the ILX or the TLX so much, for some reason I see the TLX doing fine and I don't know how the ILX is doing. The MDX seems to be doing well, and as bland as the RDX is, seems like what the doctor ordered.

With Honda, again, I personally do not like most of their cars, but they seem to be doing fine. If Honda were my company, I would've never let the Civic see production, but clearly I'd have been wrong considering how well the Civic is doing (and not necessarily due to its own merits). I like the Accord a lot and wouldn't change it, I'd redo the Pilot (which is going to happen soon anyway). The CR-V is, again, what the doctor ordered. Same goes for the Fit.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

1) Restyle the Panamera to look like its own car.
2) Restyle the Cayenne to look like its own car.
3) Restyle the Cayman/Boxster to look like its own car.
4) Kill the Macan or whatever that thing is/was/will be.
5) Re-engineer the 911 so it's actually a better/faster car than the Cayman could be.

And then I guess 6) would be to watch the company die a painful death. *sigh*
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

1) Add lightness and handling to the Challenger.
2) Recombine Ram with Dodge.
3) More Fiats.
4) More Alfas.
5) Rid Jeep of the cute utes/bring the cute utes to Dodge.

6) see above
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Mazda

1. Fix the dealership problems. Mazda is well know to have sorry ass dealers in the US.
2. Bring back the B-Series pickup trucks. And no Ford shit this time. Make our own little trucks again. And make them small too because not everyone wants a huge American truck.
3. Bring back the Millennia. With the improvements Mazda has made to it's average cars they could make a very nice near luxury car again.
4. Make the ND Miata come in both convertible AND coupe forms this time.
5. Continue working on the Rotary engine to bring out a new RX-7 based off the ND Miata coupe to keep the production cost down.

Mustangfan2003

Chrysler is one that has potential but really needs work.  Not counting the Italians in this one

1.Jeep is the only brand that seems to have their shit together.  I would still like to see a diesel Wrangler and a pickup for the brand again.  I would take the 4 door Wrangler platform and make it into a single cab pickup so you have a bed big enough to use.  Maybe also offer it in crew cab if it sells well. 

2.The Charger, the past 2 generations were attractive cars but this one is pretty ugly.  Time to go back to the drawing board. 

3.Chrysler has a problem with compacts.  The Dart is heavy and they need a smaller compact as well.  Also, maybe a compact SUV for Dodge and Chrysler.  Mostly for Chrysler though since they currently only have 3 cars in their lineup. 

4.Get back into the convertible game.  Chrysler once had the top selling convertible with the Le baron and Sebring but they were passed over by the Mustang about 10 years ago.  A convertible Challenger seems logical.  For Chrysler a 300 convertible might be interesting.  It's been a while since America has built a full size production convertible.  Maybe it's a niche that could work well. 

5.A new small truck.  Maybe create a new Rampage with that little Fiat pickup or call it the 50 if it's sold under the Ram brand.  I think I would merge the trucks back into the Dodge brand but I don't think it's that big of a deal right now. 

cawimmer430

Lincoln

Step # 1: Fire all the designers at Lincoln for creating such boring, uncreative, soulless and generic designs that make a Camry look like a styling icon.

Step # 2: Free the designers of past Lincolns ('60s, '70s and '80s) from their miserable existence in nursing homes and force them to teach the younger generation about real car design. Lincoln needs retro design or at least some visual design characteristics from the past to stand out.

Step # 3: Offer more engine options (necessary in today's market) and more RWD platforms (a homage to past Lincolns).

Step # 4: Bring back historic Lincoln names and dump that nonsense MKZ, MKX, MKS, MK-bla-bla crap. I'm thinking...

Versailles: an economy-style Lincoln that competes with the Audi A4, BMW 3er, MB C-Class, Lexus IS etc.

Premiere: an Audi A6, BMW 5er and MB E-Class rival.

Cosmopolitan: a fun little compact RWD sports car along the lines of the BMW Z4 or Mercedes SLK.

Capri: a BMW 6er or Mercedes SL rival.

Continental: what a great name that would make for an SUV! Scratch "Navigator" or "Aviator" - CONTINENTAL, baby!

Mark: grand touring luxury coupes that compete with the Bentley Continental GT and Mercedes-Benz CL-Class.

Town Car: the flagship Lincoln, now available with a V12!

Zephyr: ultra luxury flagship - perhaps an armored or extended version of the Town Car.

Ford - are you reading this?  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

That was probably Lincoln's worst period, stylstically.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on May 03, 2014, 01:37:39 PM
That was probably Lincoln's worst period, stylstically.

The most beautiful Lincolns IMO existed during the '60s, '70s and in the early '80s.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

1.) Put engineers in charge.
2.) Fire all the assholes.
2.) Equity buyback (i.e., go private).
3.) Lobby AGAINST government intrusion, not for it.
4.) Max five years for a model cycle.

2o6

Engineering would make boring looking vehicles. A lot of commecially successful design comes from a strong Industrial Design department.

Laconian

Honda
1. GDI engines for everything.
2. Specialize Honda and Acura by purpose, not by price. Hondas are youthful and agile, Acuras are comfortable and solid. Not every brand needs to benchmark BMW.
3. Realize the CRZ's halo potential, turn it into a CRX/i8 lovechild. Electric boost paired with a screamer like the S2k's engine, wow.
4. Outsource the MMI to phones somehow. Ditch the shitty Honda firmware.
5. Kick in VTEC, yo.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 03, 2014, 01:22:40 PM
Lincoln

Step # 1: Fire all the designers at Lincoln for creating such boring, uncreative, soulless and generic designs that make a Camry look like a styling icon.

Step # 2: Free the designers of past Lincolns ('60s, '70s and '80s) from their miserable existence in nursing homes and force them to teach the younger generation about real car design. Lincoln needs retro design or at least some visual design characteristics from the past to stand out.

Step # 3: Offer more engine options (necessary in today's market) and more RWD platforms (a homage to past Lincolns).

Step # 4: Bring back historic Lincoln names and dump that nonsense MKZ, MKX, MKS, MK-bla-bla crap. I'm thinking...

Versailles: an economy-style Lincoln that competes with the Audi A4, BMW 3er, MB C-Class, Lexus IS etc.

Premiere: an Audi A6, BMW 5er and MB E-Class rival.

Cosmopolitan: a fun little compact RWD sports car along the lines of the BMW Z4 or Mercedes SLK.

Capri: a BMW 6er or Mercedes SL rival.

Continental: what a great name that would make for an SUV! Scratch "Navigator" or "Aviator" - CONTINENTAL, baby!

Mark: grand touring luxury coupes that compete with the Bentley Continental GT and Mercedes-Benz CL-Class.

Town Car: the flagship Lincoln, now available with a V12!

Zephyr: ultra luxury flagship - perhaps an armored or extended version of the Town Car.

Agree...plus, bring back the T-Bird as a personal luxury car.

Get more involved in proper racing in North America.

Reintroduce the GT as a true hyper car.

Bring back Mercury.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Mustangfan2003

Now my ideas for GM

1.I like what Cadillac has done but the ELR is stupid.  You pretty much just get a nicer looking Volt for $75k.  It has no different in power, range, and you can only get it in a 2 door.  Has classic GM blunder written all over it.  I figure a majority of these cars will rot on the dealer lots until GM throws some heavy incentives on them.  I would also love to see a new CTS coupe in the works.  Not sure what engine they have in the works for a future CTS V but I figure it's the new Z06 engine.  Would also like to see a V car for the new flagship sedan. 

2.Like I said with Ford I'd like to see some diesels.  I would like to see the baby Duramax brought back for the half ton pick ups and SUVs.  Some 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder diesels for the cars and crossovers. 

3.Fix the SS.  First of all I think the name is a bit dumb since SS is commonly known for being a trim line.  The Chevelle name would be kinda cool but the purist will get their panties in a wad since it's a sedan.  A new car needs a new motor so I would bring over the new 6.2 being currently being used in the Vette along with the 7 speed manual and 8 speed auto to help cut out the gas guzzler tax.  Offer the 3.6 as a base engine.  Offer a high performance version with a supercharger. 

4.Turbo Buick.  I always thought the Grand National was a cool car and would love to see a return of such a car with the new turbo 3.6 used in the CTS.  Has to be rwd though. 

5.Selling a ute in America again?  With Holden pulling out of Australian production I wonder if GM will still build a ute for them.  If it's done in North America why not offer it for this market as well?  The Chevy brand already has too many cars so I think it would work best as a GMC. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: 2o6 on May 03, 2014, 01:46:26 PM
Engineering would make boring looking vehicles. A lot of commecially successful design comes from a strong Industrial Design department.
Agree. 

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 03, 2014, 01:46:26 PM

I stated "in charge."

Mustangfan2003

I think a new Lincoln coupe would be cool but I have my doubts on a new Thunderbird.  Most people would seem to rather opt for a Mustang

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 03, 2014, 02:13:32 PM
I stated "in charge."

And a strong performing product still comes from a strong industrial design team, for better or worse. Both need to be a give and take....

I mean, look at Apple.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 03, 2014, 02:17:21 PM

And a strong performing product still comes from a strong industrial design team, for better or worse. Both need to be a give and take....

I mean, look at Apple.

I stated "in charge." Artsy/design types are awful at being in charge, no offense. Apple isn't a good example, having been bully-led by a clinical lunatic, who would be a druggie bum if but for a singularly unique set of circumstances.

2o6

FoMoJo

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on May 03, 2014, 02:16:40 PM
I think a new Lincoln coupe would be cool but I have my doubts on a new Thunderbird.  Most people would seem to rather opt for a Mustang
Thunderbird should be seen as a BMW competitor.  Lincoln tried that with the LS but half-heartedly.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 03, 2014, 02:31:25 PM
Thunderbird should be seen as a BMW competitor.  Lincoln tried that with the LS but half-heartedly.

I liked the LS that I drove a few years back.  I think 3 things doomed it.  The backseat was small, it had reliability issues, and it was never kept up to date.  I think if I was running Lincoln I would make 3 rwd cars.  A coupe, a midsize like the CTS and 5 series, and a rwd full size car. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on May 03, 2014, 02:38:26 PM
I liked the LS that I drove a few years back.  I think 3 things doomed it.  The backseat was small, it had reliability issues, and it was never kept up to date.  I think if I was running Lincoln I would make 3 rwd cars.  A coupe, a midsize like the CTS and 5 series, and a rwd full size car. 
The LS was a good car.  I had thought often of getting one.  However, it was not a good time for Ford and they needed to concern themselves more about the viability of the company.

3.0L V6

1) Increase executive compensation with golden parachute clause
2) Buy prime beachfront land in Caribbean for new "assembly plant" (preferably country with no extradition laws)
3) Hire army of lobbyists to eliminate competition via Congressional lawmaking
4) Make mediocre vehicles for higher prices and fill company coffers with profit.
5) Cash out stock options, abscond with prime beachfront "assembly plant" property upon retirement.
6) Live like a king.

Sounds reasonable, no?

Mustangfan2003

Thought about Mitsubishi and only one thing came to mind.  Hope that another company buys you out and things get better. 

12,000 RPM

Lincoln... make all the sedans "coupey hatchbacks" and go back to names instead of letters. No need for a RWD flagship nobody will buy, they have to make money and sell cars. They could gamble on a Mustang based Mark IX coupe, but they shouldn't stake the brand on it
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs