Tesla.

Started by 2o6, May 15, 2014, 02:21:17 PM

2o6

How do you guys feel about Tesla?

I like the Model s, but I have my reservations about the company as a whole, and I can't get behind the idea that everyone thinks Tesla is saving the world, environment, and changing the face of the auto industry with a luxury product that many cannot afford.

There's a Cartoon called 'The Oatmeal' that did a glowing commentary on the Model S and Tesla and I kind of rolled my eyes during the entire thing.

SJ_GTI

The model S is interesting but for me i won't go electric until there is more infrastructure.

If supercharger stations were even half as common gas stations i would be all over a model S.

MexicoCityM3

I think what they have done so far is great but the jury is definitely still out - there is a huge amount of unknowns to overcome yet and they have several not-stupid and very deep-pocketed competitors who will not lie down and take it.

As per the car, my contact has been limited to visiting a showroom in Austin where I sat in it and what I've read in reviews. I do think it's great, it would be on my shortlist for next car if sold here.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Tesla isn't instantly changing the auto industry, but it is for sure a disruptive force in the marketplace. It has a revolutionary product that is very well-executed both on the tech and everyday fronts, and that -- while expensive -- is priced within reach of many high-volume cars, especially factoring in fuel savings. It is demonstrating the viability of such a product both from both the consumer and business standpoint, and people are noticing. Not bad for a start-up, especially in a marketplace with such a high cost of entry.

Imagine if we still thought the best of electric luxury was the Cadillac ELR.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: ifcar on May 15, 2014, 02:43:15 PM
Imagine if we still thought the best of electric luxury was the Cadillac ELR.

Ouch!  :lol:

I actually like the ELR as well, but IMHO it is too expensive for what it is (a more stylish Volt).

SVT666

I would take a Tesla but there are no supercharger stations in my neck of the woods.  I would take a Cadillac ELR because it's sexy and the drivetrain makes more sense to me.

2o6

I don't think the ELR is as sexy in person

GoCougs

As a company, Tesla is doomed if but for a few/many/all of the following: continued irrational exuberance, corporate charity, government handouts, regulation manipulation, incentives to buy and to own (HOV pass lol) cars, and ridiculous automotive financing consumerism.

As a car, it's interesting but it's just a car and a lot less than perfect (some problems with fit-n-finish and reliability). It's also not innovative - same old battery tech just lots more. Established automakers could've built this car long ago but nobody is gonna buy a $100k Chevy or Nissan Model S.

Tesla is doing interesting things in manufacturing WRT to automotive industry and it's great to see them try to break the awful franchise model, but all in all Tesla is a wealth and resource destroyer and will never be self sustainable with anything close to its current tech.

12,000 RPM

I like when the engine go vroom vroom

Not from the speaker though

Electric car would actually make sense for wifey with real ~200 mile range. But for like $25K, not $100K. And it would have to be established well enough to have some kind of predictable residual. I think a lot of Tesla fans are just tech for tech's sake kind of people.

Here is a fun comparo.

2014 Tesla Model S vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550! - Head 2 Head Ep. 54
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2014, 05:14:47 PM
As a company, Tesla is doomed if but for a few/many/all of the following: continued irrational exuberance, corporate charity, government handouts, regulation manipulation, incentives to buy and to own (HOV pass lol) cars, and ridiculous automotive financing consumerism.

As a car, it's interesting but it's just a car and a lot less than perfect (some problems with fit-n-finish and reliability). It's also not innovative - same old battery tech just lots more. Established automakers could've built this car long ago but nobody is gonna buy a $100k Chevy or Nissan Model S.

Tesla is doing interesting things in manufacturing WRT to automotive industry and it's great to see them try to break the awful franchise model, but all in all Tesla is a wealth and resource destroyer and will never be self sustainable with anything close to its current tech.

My understanding is that they are now hovering very close to BEP without subsidies and or income from eco-credits (which was zero the last quarter AFAIK).

I think they might be overvalued, but not able to survive?

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 15, 2014, 06:36:29 PM
I like when the engine go vroom vroom

Not from the speaker though

Electric car would actually make sense for wifey with real ~200 mile range. But for like $25K, not $100K. And it would have to be established well enough to have some kind of predictable residual. I think a lot of Tesla fans are just tech for tech's sake kind of people.

Here is a fun comparo.

2014 Tesla Model S vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550! - Head 2 Head Ep. 54

That compare makes me want to get a Tesla even more.  The merc won because it had a better interior and a slightly better ride.   The Tesla is more of a sporty car than a luxury saloon though.  If I had more money and a shorter commute, I would get one.

GoCougs

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on May 16, 2014, 07:59:59 AM
My understanding is that they are now hovering very close to BEP without subsidies and or income from eco-credits (which was zero the last quarter AFAIK).

I think they might be overvalued, but not able to survive?

Actually, they're quite a bit in the red still in the core business of making and selling cars, and they still have a lot of it. -$91MM on $562MM in revenue in Q1 2014.

Thing is there is no real avenue to profitability for Tesla save for maybe the "gigafactory" which is in itself corporate charity from Panasonic (to the tune of up to $5B, or almost 5 years of Tesla revenue).

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2014, 05:14:47 PMit's great to see them try to break the awful franchise model,

So much this.

I think it's insanity that a company that creates a product can't operationally control the sales interaction with their potential buyers. 

I also enjoy the freshness of the Model S quirks with the large display and the updates/new features Tesla has been pushing to existing owners.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

I found the display a huge distraction.

12,000 RPM

A car shouldn't need perpetual firmware updates

Automakers can barely get basic things like ignition columns right. I don't want to be a perpetual beta tester
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

2o6

I hate the large display. Design wise, it looks really lazy. And it looks high-maitenance and hard to use.

GoCougs

I found it easier to use than the dual touchscreens + joystick of the Infiniti Q50. It's just GINORMOUS and IMO a display for display sake. It's distracting.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 17, 2014, 06:34:26 AM

Automakers can barely get basic things like ignition columns right. I don't want to be a perpetual beta tester

There's some upside to it. Some Tesla firmware updates have improved the range.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 17, 2014, 06:34:26 AM

Cars get updates all the time, including for programming fixes to things as significant as transmissions. And there are other things that people *wish* they could fix and can't. This is just additional flexibility; you don't lose anything by having a car that can be easily updated.

Laconian

I think the fear is that the updates might not have as good of quality control given how easy they are to deploy. Video games these days are buggy messes because the developers just think "eh, we'll ship a patch for that later."

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on May 17, 2014, 08:34:03 PM
I think the fear is that the updates might not have as good of quality control given how easy they are to deploy. Video games these days are buggy messes because the developers just think "eh, we'll ship a patch for that later."

I would hope the programmers' attitude for a car is different than a game, however.

Char

I was an Electric Car hater (and still am) until I read into what the Model S has done. It's exceptionally well executed and built, so much so You wonder how Chinese cars and VW's fail so miserably at simple things. It really is a marvel that a smaller company could build a product that was so innovative and polished, in such a crowded market place on it's first try.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Are we pretending the Roadster never existed?

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on May 20, 2014, 04:39:38 PM
Are we pretending the Roadster never existed?

yes
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Char

... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Laconian

The Roadster was Tesla's beta test at carmaking, they made no bones about it.

GoCougs

Quote from: Char on May 20, 2014, 04:36:26 PM
I was an Electric Car hater (and still am) until I read into what the Model S has done. It's exceptionally well executed and built, so much so You wonder how Chinese cars and VW's fail so miserably at simple things. It really is a marvel that a smaller company could build a product that was so innovative and polished, in such a crowded market place on it's first try.

Not at all on the Model S. There's not one I've seen or been that doesn't have a lot of fit-n-finish issues.

It doesn't do anything innovative other than convincing people that buying a ~$100k electric car is a good idea.

Char

Quote from: GoCougs on May 22, 2014, 09:13:41 AM
Not at all on the Model S. There's not one I've seen or been that doesn't have a lot of fit-n-finish issues.

It doesn't do anything innovative other than convincing people that buying a ~$100k electric car is a good idea.

Oh you know, besides a safe, sporty and practical Electric vehicle.

cawimmer430

I did enjoy my Tesla Model S shoot for Motor Talk. Amazing car.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie