RS3 Concept... V.A.G. proves its uber cool

Started by r0tor, May 16, 2014, 09:45:04 AM

Soup DeVille

I believe his jimmies are equally rustled by the inappropriate use of apostrophes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Char

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 23, 2014, 04:42:59 PM
I believe his jimmies are equally rustled by the inappropriate use of apostrophes.

I stopped caring long ago, especially when I use my phone.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

I'm telling you, this guy drives a beat to shit 325e.

Char

Quote from: 2o6 on May 23, 2014, 05:30:39 PM
I'm telling you, this guy drives a beat to shit 325e.

:lol:
That was quick, I went from being 15 to being able to legally drive and owning to 325e.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Char on May 23, 2014, 04:04:14 PM
I just like seeing your jimmies getting rustled over me not having respect for the German Yugo's and the people who drive them.
Not sure how this could be possible; your respect/opinions/presence is worth less than nothing here. Threads are worse off with your posts than without them nearly 100% of the time.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 23, 2014, 06:17:39 PM
Not sure how this could be possible; your respect/opinions/presence is worth less than nothing here. Threads are worse off with your posts than without them nearly 100% of the time.

Glad my memebership here isn't based on what you think.

12,000 RPM

What is it based on? Seeking out every opportunity to make a fool of yourself?

Char

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 23, 2014, 06:55:43 PM
What is it based on? Seeking out every opportunity to make a fool of yourself?

Oh, you mean like objectively saying that VWs are unreliable, and then have a few idiots frothing at the mouth to "correct" me? Like I said, enjoy your shit sandwhich, I'm not interested.

Rupert

The premise that reliability matters is faulty.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Char

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AltinD

Quote from: Char on May 23, 2014, 07:11:27 PM
Oh, you mean like objectively saying that VWs are unreliable, and then have a few idiots frothing at the mouth to "correct" me? Like I said, enjoy your shit sandwhich, I'm not interested.

I read somewhere that last year $30 more per car repaired were spent in Hondas than VW. That happening (If true) surprises me the most not because of the notion that Hondas are more reliable, but because of the fact that VW cars are more expensive to repair.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Char

Quote from: AltinD on May 24, 2014, 12:05:49 PM
I read somewhere that last year $30 more per car repaired were spent in Hondas than VW. That happening (If true) surprises me the most not because of the notion that Hondas are more reliable, but because of the fact that VW cars are more expensive to repair.

They are - depending on the repairs, some models require the whole front bumper to be removed and I think the radiator support. Labor intensive for what?

2o6

What repair are you talking about? That's pretty vague....

I know a lot of VAG products (any FWD based Audi) have very tight engine bays. A lot of motor swaps and repairs have to come from the front, (taking the entire front fascia, cooling hardware, bumper, etc) and those are a pain.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on May 24, 2014, 02:01:38 PM
What repair are you talking about? That's pretty vague....

Front bumper and radiator support replacement.

Char

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 24, 2014, 02:18:12 PM
Front bumper and radiator support replacement.
Or changing the timing belt?
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/327828-B7-A4-Timing-Belt-Change

I don't think Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW or Mercedes have engines that use timing belts anymore. More shoddy "engineering" by VW.

Oh and lets not talk about oil leaks - good luck fixing those.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Char on May 24, 2014, 02:24:51 PM
Or changing the timing belt?
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/327828-B7-A4-Timing-Belt-Change

I don't think Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW or Mercedes have engines that use timing belts anymore. More shoddy "engineering" by VW.

Actually, more and more engines are going to belts. Including those made by Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW and, OK, I don't think Mercedes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Char

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 24, 2014, 02:31:11 PM
Actually, more and more engines are going to belts. Including those made by Honda, Nissan, Toyota, BMW and Mercedes.

Oh yeah?
Like....
K series? All chains.
BMW N series? All chains.
Subaru/Toyota FA engine? Chains.

Can you even use cam phasing with a timing belt? (considering many of them have a dual row sprocket system)

Isn't VW moving to timing chains?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Char on May 24, 2014, 02:34:47 PM
Oh yeah?
Like....
K series? All chains.
BMW N series? All chains.
Subaru/Toyota FA engine? Chains.

Can you even use cam phasing with a timing belt? (considering many of them have a dual row sprocket system)

Isn't VW moving to timing chains?

And the tensioner failed on my K-series at 40, 000 miles. Not a fool proof system: nor is it the only engine they make, is it? You've picked the performance engine choices from each of those examples, which are a relatively small percentage of the engines they make over all.

And yes, you can do cam phasing with a belt.

Char

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 24, 2014, 02:39:16 PM
And the tensioner failed on my K-series at 40, 000 miles. Not a fool proof system: nor is it the only engine they make, is it? You've picked the performance engine choices from each of those examples, which are a relatively small percentage of the engines they make over all.

And yes, you can do cam phasing with a belt.

I didn't ask you if you had any failures on your car - you specifically made a claim that manufactures are making a move back to timing belts.
Which manufactures, which engines?

Certainly not Toyota
http://toyota.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7690/~/does-my-vehicle-have-a-timing-belt-or-timing-chain%3F

Certainly not BMW
Not Nissan

While no engine is without it's fault, don't pretend that timing belts are an advantage over a timing chain, especially when maintenance cost are factored in.

12,000 RPM

Im pretty sure the TFSI has a timing chain. Ironically, the Accord V6 sedan you suggested for Raza's city friendly hatchback still has a timing belt that has to be replaced periodically. That good old J series. I am confused as to why timing belt maintenance matters now, while it didn't then......

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Char on May 24, 2014, 02:46:01 PM

While no engine is without it's fault, don't pretend that timing belts are an advantage over a timing chain, especially when maintenance cost are factored in.

Well, try reading and paying attention instead of imagining things I've said and you might get somewhere.
There's just not much difference in reliability, and each has its own advantages.

2o6

Ford Ecoboost motors (at least the 1.0L) uses a belt.

hotrodalex

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 24, 2014, 05:06:28 PM
Gear drive is best drive.

Which every VW I've ever owned has had, coincidentally.

hotrodalex

Except for when people think it's supercharged and then are majorly disappointed when you're still slow as balls.

AltinD

Quote from: Char on May 24, 2014, 01:57:33 PM
They are - depending on the repairs, some models require the whole front bumper to be removed and I think the radiator support. Labor intensive for what?

Dunno what you understood, but what I read somewhere said that in average more money is spent on repairing a HONDA, than a VW .... which means (if true) Honda cars have broken down with more serious problems and heftier repair bills for their owners.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: AltinD on May 26, 2014, 11:48:16 AM
Dunno what you understood, but what I read somewhere said that in average more money is spent on repairing a HONDA, than a VW .... which means (if true) Honda cars have broken down with more serious problems and heftier repair bills for their owners.
I have mountains of evidence I can actually post links to providing otherwise.

For all we know you read that on VW Vortex.

AltinD

Nah, not VW Vortex, haven't visited there for years (member since 2003, though since 2002 with some of you guys on C&D forum  :lol:)

CALL_911

Quote from: AltinD on May 26, 2014, 11:48:16 AM

No

2004 S2000
2016 340xi