Automotive features/innovations that are actually useful

Started by 12,000 RPM, May 20, 2014, 08:36:18 PM

12,000 RPM

The Z is a smallish car but I find it very difficult to park. The high shoulder sills keep me from seeing where the curb is. My dad's M45 had rear view mirrors that would aim down when you put it in reverse. Sad that a car would even need that, but a good feature nonetheless.

I'm also thinking about getting an Android based head unit. They have some that do screen mirroring.... basically letting you use your in dash screen as a remote desktop for your phone. Some of them do it wirelessly. Pretty damn cool and bizarre in that OEMs haven't jumped on board.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 20, 2014, 08:36:18 PM
The Z is a smallish car but I find it very difficult to park. The high shoulder sills keep me from seeing where the curb is. My dad's M45 had rear view mirrors that would aim down when you put it in reverse. Sad that a car would even need that, but a good feature nonetheless.

I had the same surprising issue in the Z4.  With the top up, anyway.  My old E class had the mirror thing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on May 20, 2014, 08:41:46 PM
I had the same surprising issue in the Z4.  With the top up, anyway.  My old E class had the mirror thing.

Interesting, E46's have moving mirrors. I loved it.

My nomination is power door locks and windows. Wish my car had those. Maybe fuel injection, cylinder shut off, and an overdrive gear too.  :lol:

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MexicoCityM3

ABS, DSC, Parking Sensors, Adjustable Dampers, Comfort Access, Auto-Hazards When Max Braking, Navigation
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Byteme

On our Mazda 6 push the unlock button on the remote twice and hold it down after the second push and it lowers the front windows.  Handy as hell on a hot day if you've parked in the sun.

The passenger mirror on the CLK swivels down when you put the car in reverse to help you not smack anything with the wheels on that side of the car. 

Also on the CLK if you have the top up and all four windows down you can close all 4 windows at the same time by holding the top switch to the "close top" position.

Cruise and radio controls on the steering wheel.

Used to be they put key locks on some consoles, not any more.  Sure would be useful to have that on convertibles.

Memory power seats, especially for both front seats.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 20, 2014, 08:36:18 PM

My car has that feature too, but I don't use it much.

SVT666

Paddle shifters for automatics.  My wife doesn't drive stick so this feature gives me added enjoyment out of an automatic equipped car I wouldn't normally have.  Went on two 4 hour mountain road runs this past weekend with the G37 and the paddles were immensely useful, and dare I say....fun.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 21, 2014, 09:38:58 AM
Paddle shifters for automatics.  My wife doesn't drive stick so this feature gives me added enjoyment out of an automatic equipped car I wouldn't normally have.  Went on two 4 hour mountain road runs this past weekend with the G37 and the paddles were immensely useful, and dare I say....fun.

It's funny, I used to use manual shifting 100% of the time in my Mercedes and Passat, but since moving to a stickshift as my main mode of transportation, whenever I jump into an automatic car, I just plant my left foot and let it do whatever silly things it's going to do. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Backup cameras, though I'm not sure if they are just enabling the trend for less and less glass.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on May 21, 2014, 10:02:18 AM
Backup cameras, though I'm not sure if they are just enabling the trend for less and less glass.

I think they're a reaction to it.  Regs (or styling, whichever it was) pushed beltlines higher and higher, glass got smaller, people started backing into things, then came the backup cam. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on May 21, 2014, 10:00:34 AM
It's funny, I used to use manual shifting 100% of the time in my Mercedes and Passat, but since moving to a stickshift as my main mode of transportation, whenever I jump into an automatic car, I just plant my left foot and let it do whatever silly things it's going to do.

I am, generally, the same way in automatic cars. The exception is the few times I have been able to get DSG equipped cars as loaners (usually an A3).

Although, when I had the Cadillac ATS as a rental while visiting Dallas, I did use the "manual" function quite a bit while in heavy traffic. The automatic didn't seem to adapt well to the constant acceleration variations so I used the manual option so it would stay in gear longer and not try to shift as much.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 21, 2014, 10:51:05 AM
I am, generally, the same way in automatic cars. The exception is the few times I have been able to get DSG equipped cars as loaners (usually an A3).

Although, when I had the Cadillac ATS as a rental while visiting Dallas, I did use the "manual" function quite a bit while in heavy traffic. The automatic didn't seem to adapt well to the constant acceleration variations so I used the manual option so it would stay in gear longer and not try to shift as much.

I do find that these hundred speed autos like to shift way too much.  I tried driving my dad's LS460 in manual and found that it would override you secretly (i.e. the dash would show you as being in 4th, but you'd really be in 7th or 8th) if you held a gear longer than it wanted you to. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

My autotragic lacks paddles, but S mode is pretty good about divining my wishes during spirited driving. A manual is definitely better for light throttle use because that just confounds the AT.

12,000 RPM

Yea wifey's auto in S mode makes much better use of its measly 150 HP.

2o6

Useful - automatics with more than 4 speeds.

I'm driving the Altima, and it's the slowest thing ever

MrH

Auto up/down windows.  I have it for both windows in the BRZ.  In the Element, it's only the driver side.  It's a cheap thing to add but makes a difference to me.  I never roll around with the windows half up.

Other tech stuff I want on all my cars: HID & keyless entry.

I really like heads-up displays too.  I haven't owned a car with one, but every time I drive a car with it, it seems like such a cool, handy feature.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Byteme

Quote from: MrH on May 23, 2014, 07:15:07 AM
Auto up/down windows.  I have it for both windows in the BRZ.  In the Element, it's only the driver side.  It's a cheap thing to add but makes a difference to me.  I never roll around with the windows half up.

I agree they are useful.  And why not put it on all 4 windows on a sedan?

A feature I have mixed emotions about is the trunk lock on the CLK.  When the car is unlocked the truck can be opened from the outside by pushing the button on the trunk.  the trunk is locked only when you lock the doors with the remote.   

Soup DeVille

I really like heads-up displays too.  I haven't owned a car with one, but every time I drive a car with it, it seems like such a cool, handy feature.

It's actually a zero cost thing to add. It's just programming.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT666

Raza

HUD is so cool and useful, I don't know how it hasn't caught on more.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 23, 2014, 08:44:55 AM
BMW has the worst cupholders I have ever seen.

The one in my Z4 is great.  Much better than the ones in my Porsche were.  They pop out of the dash and ratchet closed, so they can handle lots of different widths.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

German cars in General have the worst cup holders.

hotrodalex

Most BMWs I've been in have them in the console. Dunno why they put them in the dash sometimes.

12,000 RPM

Ventilated seats are another good one. Heavy as fuck though

Laconian

MrH

The seating material itself for this isn't heavy.  It's a special nylon weave pattern that's patented.  Started in ventilated seats, then shrank down to become the backing material for a lot of interior components that are wrapped.  Really crazy material, but it's expensive.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

For me, it'd have to be HIDs, heated seats, and Bluetooth integration. I take power locks and windows as a given in 2014.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on May 23, 2014, 12:01:22 PM
Heavy?
I have had buddies who swapped Maxima seats out for heated/cooled seats from an M45. Maybe not a fair representation, but those fuckers were heavy as hell. Heating element + fans capable of pushing through perforated leather and cushioning.... tough stuff.