Junkyard Find: 1972 Ford Pinto Wagon

Started by cawimmer430, May 23, 2014, 04:47:29 AM

cawimmer430

Junkyard Find: 1972 Ford Pinto Wagon

There was a time, say from about 1973 through 1983— a timespan that corresponds exactly with the Malaise Era— when the Ford Pinto was one of the most numerous cars on America's roads. You saw way more Pintos than Vegas, Chevettes, Corollas, Civics, Omnis, just about any small car you can name. When I was in high school, the Pinto was one of the cheapest first-car options available for wheels-hungry teenagers; you could get an ugly runner for a C-note, any day of the week. The Pinto wasn't a good car, but it wasn't intolerable by the (admittedly low) compact-car standards of its time. Then, rather suddenly, all the Pintos disappeared. The Crusher grew fat on Pinto flesh, then switched to Hyundai Excels. They're rare finds in wrecking yards today, and we've seen just this '74 hatchback in this series prior to today. During a recent trip to Northern California, I found this early Pinto wagon, short quite a few parts but still exuding its essential Pinto-ness.

Some bottom-feeder East Bay car dealership hoped to sell this "perfect classic" for $1,499, but was not successful.

More than 20 years ago, I grabbed every early-70s Fasten Seat Belt light I could find, for an ambitious project that I'll complete someday. I have many examples of this Ford version.

The hood once had some sort of JC Whitney hood scoop, which was made quasi-functional by the rectangular hole.

There's no telling what sort of connection went between the scoop and the carburetor, because everything above the engine block is long gone. A few years later, Jackie Stewart boasted that the Pinto was faster than the Datsun B210, the Toyota Corolla, and the Honda Civic.

Link: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/05/junkyard-find-1972-ford-pinto-wagon/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

The little 4 banger from the Pinto lived on until 2001 in the Ranger pickup.

Soup DeVille

Yep, and there were coversion plates for those engines to mate them to old school VW transmissions: which made them popular for dune buggies and various other Beetle-based kit cars for a while.

Not to mention that there was also some slightly deranged person who would stuff a 302 into one...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Fishbodylife

It is a very good post on it. I just posted this and I was looking for rerunning. There is for sure a lot of content I like.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Fishbodylife on November 04, 2014, 09:50:41 PM
It is a very good post on it. I just posted this and I was looking for rerunning. There is for sure a lot of content I like.

I wonder if this post included a lot of Javascript meant to hijack a shitty old WordPress installation or something.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.