Spring RX8 refresh

Started by r0tor, May 26, 2014, 05:06:09 PM

r0tor

So after 10.5 years, I decided to do a little "spring cleaning" on my RX8...

Bilstein PSS9 suspension - rating 5/5

So after 10.5 years the stock suspension began getting a little soft, bouncy, and the rebound control was noticeably not there.  I have always wanted to do a coilover suspension on the car, but to be honest the stock suspension's handling and ride comfort were so damn good  stock that I didn't want to mess it up... Well until now when its already messed up

So I did a much of research and a bunch of math and found the Bilstein PSS9 package was the best bang for the buck.  Most of the Japanese and eBay coilover companies had shitty shock damping and crazy bad spring rates.  KW had a nice package, as did Ohlievery but the Bilstein package was close to as good at a much cheaper price.

Spring rates used in the Bilstein setup kept the stock F/R spring rate ratios the same and increased the frequency to an almost perfect sport street setup of around 1.75hz.  Throw in some nicely diggresive valve dampening with 9 adjustments and on paper it was a winner.  With a sale at the tire rack and free shipping, it was a double winner.

Installation was straight forward though Bilsteins manual was nearly worthless.  The kit comes incomplete with stock parts needed to build out the setup - of which with a little guess work I was able to order the stock parts to build out the coilovers before I started into the installation.  Some stumbling blocks included 3 out of 4 sway bar end link nuts utterly seized.  I was fortunately able to to get one side unbolted in the front, and in the rear I resorted to just unbolting the sway bar mounts from the chassis.  Another headache was when the ride height was reduced well below what I expected and the side skirt came down and nailed the jack - ripping it off the mounts!

Install aside, these coilovers are every bit as good in real life as on paper.  I'm riding around on full soft on the front and rear - balance is perfect, body motions are perfectly dampened, and large expansion joints and potholes are absorbed incredibly nice.  Short trip around my favorite back roads proved the suspension just makes the car feel more stable and approachable.  In turns it stays more flat and transitions incredibly fast.  About the only downside is smaller road inperfections are a little more noticeable and therefore ride is a bit more busy then before.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Mazdaspeed front tower bar - rating 5/5

So the coilovers presented me with an opportunity to get a really nice looking Mazdaspeed front tower brace because the stock bar would have covered up the front shock adjustment knobs.  Build quality on these units is fantastic, fitment it perfect, and it also includes a nice brake master cylinder brace.  Love it!

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Syflex "aux mod" - rating 5/5
Kinivo Bluetooth adapter - rating 5/5 audio , 2/5 car phone
Kenu Airframe - Portable Smartphone Car Mount - rating 5/5

So something that has been bothering me for some time is my RX8 never had an aux input.  10 years ago that was fine because I was still buying CD's and making CD's from downloaded mp3s.  I did put an mp3 compatible CD reader in back then, but dumping mp3 files is still a pain in the ass.

I did a bunch of research and there are several aux input solutions, but most of them for the RX8 required a higher firmware revision of the stock radio.  I did not want to change the stock radio and make it look all aftermarket.

So I found a Mazda enthusiast made  a board that plugs into the stock radio and utilizes the tape/MD (yes - back in 2003 you could get a cassette player or minirisc player) connection on the back of the radio and converts it to an aux input.  Works well and was fairly easy to install.

So I got part of my solution but still didn't want to have to plug my phone in all the time to play music.  Enter the kinivo Bluetooth adapter.  Key part to this is that it uses Bluetooth 4.0 and apt-X which means the audio quality is damn near perfect.  I have Bluetooth functionality in my Jeep and our Focus - but both sound kind of muddy (especially the Jeep).  Other key features is that in auto connects to your phone and includes a nice (corded) remote that allows you to start/stop music, forward/reverse, and make/receive calls (with an included mic).  The system works remarkably well - I hop in the car, hit the tape/MD button on the radio, and push the main Kinivio button to start playing whatever is on the phone.  No fuddling with the phone needed.  I mounted the remote out of the way behind the ignition where it looks like a start button... Lol

The included car phone functionality is nice, but it does not have any sort of noise canceling features... and in a noisy car it can be problematic.  But its still better than nothing I suppose.

Oh, and the kinivio works well with Motorola's touch less controls for playing artists and making calls.... Oh, and its reasonably priced!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009NLTW60?pc_redir=1401017310&robot_redir=1

Lastly I wanted to use my phone for navigation and things... and its perfect to do so with the Motorola touch less controls but I needed a mount.  I struggled to find something that didn't look like a bad science project.  Came across the Kenu airvent mount on amazon and I love it.  Its fairly inconspicuous and works much better than expected.  Also fairly cheap!

r0tor

Also did some maintenance...

Repainted the brake calipers.  A number of years ago I used a Duplicolor kit and it cracked, peeled, and looked like total shit.  I sanded it all off, cleaned everything up, and used an epoxy G2 paint kit - hopefully it holds up.

Needed to replace the stock radiator overflow tank as the level float inside no longer floated when I started to rev the engine up.  Install was fairly easy.  Also fixed a broken passenger side sunvisor.

Still to go is replacing the steering wheel - its showing a lot of wear and the red is rubbing off.  Found a mint condition used wheel online for a decent price.  Waiting for some spare time to install it.

r0tor

All in all I love my recent upgrades and just fell in love with my car all over.  Money was very well spent.

FlatBlackCaddy

10 years, I figured you were going to post a thread about replacing the apex seals.

Or bolting a turbo kit on it. :lol:

r0tor

Come on, keep up with things... I got the engine replaced 2 years ago under warranty  :lol:

No turboz... just midpipe with really high flow cat (cat melted out and has vanished), catback exhaust, LS2 ignition coils, and an AccessPort for tuning.  I was going to get a racing beat intake and ram air duct but its almost like $100/hp cost... maybe one day if I have $500 burning a hole in my pocket.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: r0tor on May 26, 2014, 05:54:31 PM
Come on, keep up with things... I got the engine replaced 2 years ago under warranty

Cool, should be good for a few more years then.

Onslaught

You have the exact set up that almost all the guys in the Charlotte RX-8 club have. Or the ones that I think have a brain anyway. I helped one of them put them on a year ago.

I'm wanting a more aggressive exhaust note from my car but I fear buying something that will be too much of a change. I don't want "BRAP BRAP BRAP" in my ears all day, just something a little more exciting when I give her the full beans.
I was thinking about a Racing Beat seeing that they're well known and actually make one that will fit a S2 RX-8.

r0tor

Yea, I have the racing beat exhaust for the Series 1... Always loved it

Onslaught

I've been around one 8 with the RB exhaust on the outside of the car and it sounded good. Never been in one however. When you're driving normal how much if a difference is it over the stock one? I like how the 8 can be smooth and relaxing going down the highway and then sound like a wild banshee when you get on it.

Don't want to fuck that up. You still running the stick cat? My car has over 60K on it and I know how a rotary can burn up cats fast. Was thinking about a high flow one that still won't make the check engine light come on.

mzziaz

Quote from: Onslaught on May 27, 2014, 08:06:41 AM
I've been around one 8 with the RB exhaust on the outside of the car and it sounded good. Never been in one however. When you're driving normal how much if a difference is it over the stock one? I like how the 8 can be smooth and relaxing going down the highway and then sound like a wild banshee when you get on it.

Don't want to fuck that up. You still running the stick cat? My car has over 60K on it and I know how a rotary can burn up cats fast. Was thinking about a high flow one that still won't make the check engine light come on.
'

Drill holes in the muffler!
Cuore Sportivo

Onslaught

Quote from: mzziaz on May 27, 2014, 09:30:56 AM
'

Drill holes in the muffler!
I'd use my new plasma cutter.

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on May 27, 2014, 08:06:41 AM

Its perfectly tolerable with the stock cat.  I had a Rotary performance high flow cat at one point and it did have a couple hundred rpm zone where it droned a bit.  That cat got melted out twice... at which point the exhaust sounded badass with all kinds of deceleration exhaust pops but was fairly loud - more so then I would want for a long trip.

Raza

Sweet!  I almost forgot you still had this thing.  It's nice to see it; you don't see many on the roads anymore.  It looks great with the new suspension. 

It's crazy how cheap some of these can go for, if you're willing to go older with higher miles.  I'm talking $7-9K.  Seems like they'd make a great project AutoX car if someone were so inclined.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  on May 27, 2014, 01:09:03 PM
Sweet!  I almost forgot you still had this thing.  It's nice to see it; you don't see many on the roads anymore.  It looks great with the new suspension. 

It's crazy how cheap some of these can go for, if you're willing to go older with higher miles.  I'm talking $7-9K.  Seems like they'd make a great project AutoX car if someone were so inclined.
Really? You see them all over the place down here. I see probably 15-20 a week.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on May 27, 2014, 01:31:16 PM

My suspicion is that, like most other RWD coupes, they weren't as popular in snow country as they were down south.  It's near impossible to find a RWD BMW, Mercedes, or Cadillac up here as well.  Seems 90% of the ones I see on the road are optioned with AWD.  I do think I see more RX-8s than 350Zs of the same vintage, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I see a couple here and there... Not real regularly though

Onslaught

I see all kinds of RWD sports cars everyday. Even so you can get used RX-8's for dirt cheap around here. If I had the cash I'd buy another one and turn it into a track day only car.

12,000 RPM

Nice work man. I want PSS9s for my car too. Only coilovers with sensible street rates. I am talking everyone... Tein, KW, Eibach, Ohlins etc etc. BilsteinSPIN
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on May 27, 2014, 01:31:16 PM

The last time I saw one was when I moved; a girl in my apartment building had a Shinka edition.  That was 6 months ago. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2014, 11:48:41 AM
The last time I saw one was when I moved; a girl in my apartment building had a Shinka edition.  That was 6 months ago. 

Should have asked her for a ride....

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on May 28, 2014, 11:55:28 AM
Should have asked her for a ride....

I'd have loved to give her one as well. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Looking good. Sweet.

Makes you feel like you're getting a new car again with these kind of overhauls.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on May 27, 2014, 06:35:24 PM
I see all kinds of RWD sports cars everyday. Even so you can get used RX-8's for dirt cheap around here. If I had the cash I'd buy another one and turn it into a track day only car.

I think if I had the cash and room I would buy another, paint it 911 GT3 mexico blue, give it black wheels, strip the interior, install racing seats, full suspension and intake/exhaust/tuning/porting .... and have loads of fun

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on May 28, 2014, 03:31:27 PM
I think if I had the cash and room I would buy another, paint it 911 GT3 mexico blue, give it black wheels, strip the interior, install racing seats, full suspension and intake/exhaust/tuning/porting .... and have loads of fun
You know if they keep getting as cheap as they already are it be a great idea. I'd do the two tone blue/silver paint job like Peter Farrel's old FD RX-7.
I did my RC Race car with an RX-8 body like that and it looked good. I saw someplace that was selling Mazdaspeed body parts for cheap. I was thinking
of picking them up just for this. And if I didn't get the car I could always sell them years down the road.

r0tor

Authentic mazdaspeed body parts are hard to find since they stopped making them a few years ago... only ones I have seen in a long time were used

r0tor

Added this ground loop isolator to my audio setup to get rid of the the fake supercharger whine above 5k rpms... works like a champ!  I cant say enough good things about the bluetooth audio quality
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5-3-5-mm-Isolator/dp/B001EAQTRI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402192190&sr=1-1&keywords=ground+loop+isolator

Also cant say enough good things about thr suspension.  I was rather pissed about working all day and drove the shit out of the RX on the way home.  The suspension feels so damn go-kart like.  The suspension just never has the feeling of loading up and unloading on you - just gentle understeer off throttle and gentle oversteer on throttle.  Completely predictable, completely controllable... completely awesome.

FlatBlackCaddy

I've got some pretty bad hum going in my miata. Got a line isolator for the power wire, just haven't got around to putting it in. It is pretty annoying, but with the top down and the revs up you can't hear much of the radio anyway.

Onslaught

Tune up time for my car this weekend. Plugs, coils, wires, air filter, cabin filter, belts and front pads. You ever change the fuel filter on the 8? Never looked into where it is on these things.