Started by 12,000 RPM, June 12, 2014, 07:42:34 PM

12,000 RPM

Im happy with being the content aggregator homie for TFL

Any fucking way

Subaru WRX Review: better than the BRZ (FRS, GT86)? -- Everyday Driver
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

"Everyday Driver"

I didn't even watch the video, but if that phrase has even an ounce of merit to the outcome than it's a god damn no brainer.

A car that has more HP, more Torque, twice the passenger space and twice the cargo space while offering better performance AND awd would HAVE TO BE the better everyday driver.

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 13, 2014, 11:33:04 AM
"Everyday Driver"

I didn't even watch the video, but if that phrase has even an ounce of merit to the outcome than it's a god damn no brainer.

A car that has more HP, more Torque, twice the passenger space and twice the cargo space while offering better performance AND awd would HAVE TO BE the better everyday driver.

It's the name of the show, not the determining factor of the comparison.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Those dummies are more concerned with amusing themselves with cleverness than they are with actually saying something not incredibly obvious or interesting.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Catman

Quote from: Rupert on June 13, 2014, 11:59:23 AM
Those dummies are more concerned with amusing themselves with cleverness than they are with actually saying something not incredibly obvious or interesting.

Everyone has to do reviews now and it's annoying.

Rupert

Quote from: Catman on June 13, 2014, 05:56:12 PM
Everyone has to do reviews now and it's annoying.

Your opinions do not matter just because you have them.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Catman

The worst is the cell phone reviews ugh

12,000 RPM

I thought it was a good review. Everyone can't be (and thankfully isn't) Jeremy Clarkson, Chris Harris, or the big homie Steve Sutcliffe.

Febreeze twins just need 500ccs more displacement, 30 more HP and like 50 more lb ft of torque. Then they will be literally perfect.

Catman

Not sure why they don't just put the WRX engine in the BRZ next year. 

MX793

Quote from: Catman on June 14, 2014, 07:58:45 AM

Supposedly there's not enough space to package the turbo, intercooler, and plumbing under the hood and still meet all of the various crash standards (I would guess that the pedestrian standards are the driving factor).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

500ccs. All it needs.

2o6

The BRZ's Boxer is annoyingly torqueless. It was fun the first few times, but after that it just feels slow as shit.

12,000 RPM

Makes sense in the twisties and on track days. When I'm in the mountains on my bike, I don't want more power. I use the engine more for braking than accelerating. But when I'm on the highway or need to make a pass, I do. Problem is, nobody lives on a mountain pass. And if they do, they need turbos to handle the altitude

Rupert

Bollocks. 944 makes plenty of power for all of my wants and desires and needs (needs being the same as anyone's), and it makes much less than a briz (power:weight better on the briz IIRC). Y'all can like power and want more power all you want, but silly justifications like oh but how will I ever pass someone are really quite pointless.

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 14, 2014, 07:36:51 AM
I thought it was a good review. Everyone can't be (and thankfully isn't) Jeremy Clarkson, Chris Harris, or the big homie Steve Sutcliffe.

Febreeze twins just need 500ccs more displacement, 30 more HP and like 50 more lb ft of torque. Then they will be literally perfect.

There was no new information in there, there wasn't any interesting cinematography or any cool sounds, etc. I mean, I agree that not everyone needs to be bombastic/clever/your homie, but if you can't contribute something new or interesting, why bother (ego and a misplaced sense of self-interestingness, that's why).

SVT32V

Quote from: Rupert on June 14, 2014, 12:12:58 PM
Bollocks. 944 makes plenty of power for all of my wants and desires and needs (needs being the same as anyone's), and it makes much less than a briz (power:weight better on the briz IIRC). Y'all can like power and want more power all you want, but silly justifications like oh but how will I ever pass someone are really quite pointless.
:rolleyes:

Rubbish, nobody needs the power of a 944, it far more than anyone needs. Nobody needs more than a 50 hp VW beetle. I have made this decision for everyone and therefore, it must be true.

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on June 14, 2014, 12:12:58 PM

Good thing no one charged you $26,000 for the 944.

Rupert

It's heading that way, though!

Rupert

Quote from: SVT32V on June 14, 2014, 12:22:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Rubbish, nobody needs the power of a 944, it far more than anyone needs. Nobody needs more than a 50 hp VW beetle. I have made this decision for everyone and therefore, it must be true.

No, I did not say that no one should ever have a powerful car, thanks for asking.

I said that if you want to justify more power, say that you like more power. If you need some excuse for it (but the passing lane!), you're Doing It Wrong (as certain large feline fans might say).

In modern freeway traffic, BTW, even a 50 hp VW is almost adequate for safety.

MrH

Quote from: Catman on June 14, 2014, 07:58:45 AM

Can't.  Packaging.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

hotrodalex

Take the hood off. Or the front fenders. Saw a S2k without either front fender yesterday.

Catman

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on June 14, 2014, 12:50:26 PM
No, I did not say that no one should ever have a powerful car, thanks for asking.

I said that if you want to justify more power, say that you like more power. If you need some excuse for it (but the passing lane!), you're Doing It Wrong (as certain large feline fans might say).

In modern freeway traffic, BTW, even a 50 hp VW is almost adequate for safety.

Lol. A 50 hp VW is not adequate. I drove one in Ghana. The avg car today is faster  than it was when the 944 was new.

200 HP is not slow. Plenty of cars that have 200 HP are quick enough and "safe". It's the fact that you have to ring the thing out just to keep up with traffic. It's the way the power is delivered. I don't think the car would have lost anything by having 500cc's more displacement.

MrH

It's just a hair slower than an AP1 S2000 and has a more usable torque curve, but  people will always bitch about the BRZ regardless. Everyone on here whined about how heavy and expensive cars are. A cheap, great handling rwd sports car, and suddenly everyone puts a ton of emphasis on power.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MX793

Quote from: MrH on June 15, 2014, 07:44:16 AM
It's just a hair slower than an AP1 S2000 and has a more usable torque curve, but  people will always bitch about the BRZ regardless. 

AP1 S2K has better roll-on performance (better top gear 30-50 and 50-80 times, better 5-60 times).  I'm going to say that either the S2K has the better torque curve, or the Frizbee has horrible gearing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 14, 2014, 08:01:55 PM
Lol. A 50 hp VW is not adequate. I drove one in Ghana. The avg car today is faster  than it was when the 944 was new.

200 HP is not slow. Plenty of cars that have 200 HP are quick enough and "safe". It's the fact that you have to ring the thing out just to keep up with traffic. It's the way the power is delivered. I don't think the car would have lost anything by having 500cc's more displacement.

Lol. I drove a 70 hp MGB in the States, and it was adequate. The average car having a higher top speed and better acceleration doesn't mean a thing on the freeway with speed limits and relatively constant speed traffic (merging and passing). A lot of power can be convenient and fun, but it's not necessary.

I imagine things are a little different on the east coast, with a bit faster traffic, more traffic, and shorter on-ramps, but the point stands-- just be honest with yourself that you like having power for its own sake, and stop trying to justify it with fakey pragmatic logic.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on June 15, 2014, 07:44:16 AM
It's just a hair slower than an AP1 S2000 and has a more usable torque curve, but  people will always bitch about the BRZ regardless. Everyone on here whined about how heavy and expensive cars are. A cheap, great handling rwd sports car, and suddenly everyone puts a ton of emphasis on power.

A hair slower? Lol. It's a second slower to 60 and through the quarter. Once you get the S2K rolling, it's as fast as my car, but you literally have to rev it to 9K to get that speed. The low cam on the S2K is pretty bad (my H22A Accord had more seat of the pants low/midrange punch than an AP1), but <4K in the freeze breeze is way worse. It doesn't need more peak power. just more area under the curve, which would come at zero cost/weight with more displacement. Just like they did with the significantly faster/more powerful S2K.

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 15, 2014, 07:04:06 PM
A hair slower? Lol. It's a second slower to 60 and through the quarter. Once you get the S2K rolling, it's as fast as my car, but you literally have to rev it to 9K to get that speed. The low cam on the S2K is pretty bad (my H22A Accord had more seat of the pants low/midrange punch than an AP1), but <4K in the freeze breeze is way worse. It doesn't need more peak power. just more area under the curve, which would come at zero cost/weight with more displacement. Just like they did with the significantly faster/more powerful S2K.
Um, where are you getting your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

MrH

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited