Vacation rental: 528i Xdrive

Started by Laconian, June 16, 2014, 08:47:48 PM

Laconian

I rented a 528 Xdrive for 10 days in Maui. Kind of a strange choice for a car, given the pokey Hawaiian speed limits and even pokier Hawaiian drivers, but I still loved it.

Engine: I love the low end torque, it just pulls *so* hard. I was surprised at the power figure of the car, since I was seriously expecting it to have made more power. It's quite rough though, it's clattery when cold, thrummy all the time, and the auto start/stop feature -- while useful -- is anything but refined. The refinement is a definite step down from the 6cyl I drove when I test drove a 128 a couple years back.

Transmission: 8AT. Fantastic. Shifts smoothly and crisply. Always in the right gear, provided Sport mode is selected. The 7AT of the G37 felt sloppy by comparison when I came back home.

Ride and handling: Fantastic. Xdrive makes me corner like a hero. The way it tucks in so neatly reminded me of how the RDX felt with SH-AWD. Very civilized on rough roads.

Steering: Numb, but OK. G37's steering definitely has more feedback and heft.

i-Drive/MMI: Awful, awful, awful. Polished in all the wrong places. Menu system is an abomination. I'm a very technical guy with a high aptitude for complexity, but dear god, the options and activities are strewn around all over the place across innumerable sub-sub-sub menus. JUNK

Misc: high beams are awesomely eye-scorching, the cornering headlamps are nifty, and the ECO PRO mode is a fucking joke that makes the Prius seem zippy by comparison. Trunk is nice und big.

Best rental I've ever had. I wouldn't buy this car new -- wow, $$$! -- but I can appreciate the car's many superlative qualities.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Good review, but why didn't you get a vert in Maui.  We were there this spring and had the roof down the whole time.

CALL_911

I like iDrive way more than any other infotainment system I've used.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Quote from: SVT666 on June 16, 2014, 08:50:41 PM
Good review, but why didn't you get a vert in Maui.  We were there this spring and had the roof down the whole time.

Too hot/muggy. High 80's all the time. Most of the Mustang and Camaro verts had their tops up, and for good reason - it's nice to get some A/C every now and again!

cawimmer430

You're in Hawaii in you didn't rent this?

:lol:

I'm surprised that you can even rent a BMW in America! Was that even possible in say the '70s, '80s or '90s? I feel like that's a recent thing.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

afty

Why do they rent AWD BMWs in Hawaii?

Laconian

AWD beach donuts? I have no clue, really.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Laconian on June 16, 2014, 08:47:48 PM
I rented a 528 Xdrive for 10 days in Maui. Kind of a strange choice for a car, given the pokey Hawaiian speed limits and even pokier Hawaiian drivers, but I still loved it.

Engine: I love the low end torque, it just pulls *so* hard. I was surprised at the power figure of the car, since I was seriously expecting it to have made more power. It's quite rough though, it's clattery when cold, thrummy all the time, and the auto start/stop feature -- while useful -- is anything but refined. The refinement is a definite step down from the 6cyl I drove when I test drove a 128 a couple years back.

Transmission: 8AT. Fantastic. Shifts smoothly and crisply. Always in the right gear, provided Sport mode is selected. The 7AT of the G37 felt sloppy by comparison when I came back home.

Ride and handling: Fantastic. Xdrive makes me corner like a hero. The way it tucks in so neatly reminded me of how the RDX felt with SH-AWD. Very civilized on rough roads.

Steering: Numb, but OK. G37's steering definitely has more feedback and heft.

i-Drive/MMI: Awful, awful, awful. Polished in all the wrong places. Menu system is an abomination. I'm a very technical guy with a high aptitude for complexity, but dear god, the options and activities are strewn around all over the place across innumerable sub-sub-sub menus. JUNK

Misc: high beams are awesomely eye-scorching, the cornering headlamps are nifty, and the ECO PRO mode is a fucking joke that makes the Prius seem zippy by comparison. Trunk is nice und big.

Best rental I've ever had. I wouldn't buy this car new -- wow, $$$! -- but I can appreciate the car's many superlative qualities.

Nice. I agree on all your comments except the one about iDrive. I like it and it's much better than anything else out there. Only Audi's MMI is on par.

Regarding the nice cornering feeling, I am not sure AWD had much to do with it unless it was really wet. It's more the signature of any BMW, that. More to do with suspension and weight distribution than AWD IMO.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Lebowski

Quote from: Laconian on June 16, 2014, 08:47:48 PM

Misc: high beams are awesomely eye-scorching, the cornering headlamps are nifty,

Did it have the LED headlights?

Where'd you rent from and was it a big upcharge?  When I rent a car (fairly rare) it's usually an econobox or a shitty domestic mainstreamer.

12,000 RPM

Nice review. Especially since it confirms my feelings on this current crop of turbo 4s. I will burn a little more gas for an engine note that doesn't make me wince.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Quote from: Lebowski on June 20, 2014, 03:31:26 PM

Did it have the LED headlights?

Where'd you rent from and was it a big upcharge?  When I rent a car (fairly rare) it's usually an econobox or a shitty domestic mainstreamer.

Yeah, AFAIK the headlights are LED. I rented it from Budget, and it was a +$25/day upcharge. It was $500 for 10 days.

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 20, 2014, 03:51:25 PM
Nice review. Especially since it confirms my feelings on this current crop of turbo 4s. I will burn a little more gas for an engine note that doesn't make me wince.

You'll be burning a lot more gas if you want to get that kind of low end torque from a NA.

Raza

MMI is much better than iDrive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on June 20, 2014, 04:13:05 PM
You'll be burning a lot more gas if you want to get that kind of low end torque from a NA.

I've decided that these turbo 4s are a lot like the bigger displacement, low output motors that the US domestics were putting in cars in the late 80s and early/mid 90s (like Ford using the Vulcan V6 and GM using the 3100 V6 as their base motor in their midsizers instead of a ~2.4L I4 like the Japanese carmakers).  Gobs of low end grunt, but they fall flat on their faces as RPMs climb.  And they don't sound very good.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on June 20, 2014, 04:30:01 PM
MMI is much better than iDrive.

Have you used a recent iDrive? This is nothing like the system before 2010. I tried both. Last week.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CALL_911

Was older iDrive a version of Windows CE or am I delusional

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Regardless, it did suck. Post 2010 idrive is done really well imo

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on June 20, 2014, 04:59:59 PM
I've decided that these turbo 4s are a lot like the bigger displacement, low output motors that the US domestics were putting in cars in the late 80s and early/mid 90s (like Ford using the Vulcan V6 and GM using the 3100 V6 as their base motor in their midsizers instead of a ~2.4L I4 like the Japanese carmakers).  Gobs of low end grunt, but they fall flat on their faces as RPMs climb.  And they don't sound very good.
When I worked for the utility I had a Chevy Venture. The low end grunt was intense. Really made me think the thing was a lot faster than it actually was. The absence of a tachometer helped reenforce that (maybe it had a tach, I don't remember.)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 20, 2014, 05:43:08 PM
Have you used a recent iDrive? This is nothing like the system before 2010. I tried both. Last week.

I used it in 2011 or 2012, just before my brother bought his S4.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 20, 2014, 07:13:16 PM
Was older iDrive a version of Windows CE or am I delusional

You are correct. My E90 runs Windoze.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on June 21, 2014, 12:09:00 PM
I used it in 2011 or 2012, just before my brother bought his S4.

I guess familiarity plays a good part in preference. You drive the S4 frequently.

In my opinion, there isn't much between those two systems. The Mercedes one I found less atractive and the Cadilac Cue needs no further comment.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

CALL_911

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 21, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
You are correct. My E90 runs Windoze.

My dad had an '08 535xi, that car's infotainment system was hilariously unrefined.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi