Timing Belt + Valve Job

Started by TBR, November 29, 2005, 11:02:20 AM

TBR

I saw an ad in the paper for a $550 '89 Celica GT, but it needs a valve job and a new timing belt. About what would those two things cost? Any other comments on the car would be appreciated.

FlatBlackCaddy

Depends on the parts you use and if you can find a good head shop that will do the job for cheap(just doing the head work), then the assembly would be up to your.

It really can be a big range, i'd say 500 to 1200 dollars, once again depending on how you do it.

I had a T belt go on my 84 Z(which is probobly what happened to this car) and I did all the labor myself(sent the heads out, 400 bucks for the pair to be decked and have the bent valves replaced) and used all nissan OEM parts(water pump, belt, tensioner, seals, gaskets, also did a tune up/ plugs, rotor, wires). My job was a just alittle over 1000 dollars. If i paid a shop it could have been as much as 2000-2500(and probobly wouldn't have been done as well as i did it).  

TBR

Wow, that was a quick response. I guess it is at least worth finding out more about the car if the work could cost less than $800. On the otherhand, according to msn autos anyway, the GT was auto only :(

FlatBlackCaddy

You'd probobly get the motor going only to realize the tranny is junk.

TBR

Well, according to the EPA (fueleconomy.gov) a manual was available with the 115hp engine.

SaltyDog

QuoteWell, according to the EPA (fueleconomy.gov) a manual was available with the 115hp engine.
'82 Celica GTs could come with a manual...

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

TBR

TBR

I left a message with the lady selling it about an hour ago but haven't heard back yet. She must be at work.

SaltyDog

QuoteIt is an '89, not an '82
I know.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TBR

About how much would it cost to get the clutch replaced?

SaltyDog

QuoteAbout how much would it cost to get the clutch replaced?
'89=fwd I think.  $4-800?

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

TBR

Well, if the people selling the car knew a thing about it (she had to go look to see what kind of transmission it had!) I might go for it. But, the possibility that the clutch might go out has scared me away, at under $1200 all said and done this car looked pretty good, but throw in    another repair and it just doesn't.  

280Z Turbo

QuoteI had a T belt go on my 84 Z(which is probobly what happened to this car) and I did all the labor myself(sent the heads out, 400 bucks for the pair to be decked and have the bent valves replaced) and used all nissan OEM parts(water pump, belt, tensioner, seals, gaskets, also did a tune up/ plugs, rotor, wires). My job was a just alittle over 1000 dollars. If i paid a shop it could have been as much as 2000-2500(and probobly wouldn't have been done as well as i did it).
That's one of the many reasons why I'm not a fan of the VG30. It's an OK motor, but I prefer the bulletproof L28.

I wouldn't buy a car that needs something to run. For one thing, there may be other problems and the owner's diagnosis may even be wrong. It could be something worse than they think (or want to tell you).

TBR

Supposedly they bought it to fix and her room mate is a mechanic, but you never really know.  

L. ed foote

I prefer the previous generation, anyway...
Member, Self Preservation Society