I drove an RX-8 Today

Started by 2o6, July 15, 2014, 05:27:01 PM

MrH

I love RX-8s and rotaries in general.  I'm just very hesitant about maintenance from previous owners.  I tried to buy one of the last remaining R3 versions, but couldn't agree on a price before it sold.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 16, 2014, 11:27:18 AM
I'd gush over shit I'm never going to buy all day if I got paid to do it.

Sadly the rear seats and doors of the RX8 didn't translate into broader market appeal. They would have been better making it smaller and lighter without the seats, in the end I don't think it would have altered the history(sales and profit) wise but would have been true to being a RX7 successor.
It's not a successor to the RX-7. It's more of a successor to the other Rotary cars Mazda has made in the past. And I'm ok with that.

I'm not so sure I ever want another RX-7 again. Oh they can make a rotary sports car and call it an RX-9 or whatever. But they will never make a better car then the last RX-7 so I don't see the point.

FlatBlackCaddy

I don't believe that(can't make a better rx7). I hope mazda doesn't either. Put the right people on the project and they could make something that would eclipse even the mighty RX7.

Onslaught

I'm sure they could make one that's faster. And seeing that the RX-8 had a better chassis and handling then the RX-7 it's a no brainier that it be better there too.
But it wouldn't look as good. Not even close seeing that the FD is one of the best looking Japanese cars of all time. And because it probably be based off the Miata
it wouldn't be as purpose built as the FD was. That car was 100% the best Mazda could do at making a pure sports car.  A Miata coupe with a rotary in it won't be in
the same ball park to a car like that.

Raza

I still love these. I think about picking one up all the time. But the engine scares me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

A lower mileage 2011 R3 can be had for $18K. That's cheap.  Almost worth all the oil I would have to put in it every day before I leave the house int he morning.

:lol:

Onslaught

I think you can get one for less then that. And the series II really are nicer cars even if I don't like all the exterior changes as much.  Most of the time when manufactures say they "improve" cars over time I think most of what they claim is just blowing smoke up our asses. But there really are some differences in a 08 vs 09 RX-8. And for the record I only look under my hood every 2-3 weeks to see if it needs any oil. Depending on how I've been driving I get a different answer every time.

r0tor

I check my oil half way before its time for an oil change
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

I just cant, after spending a ton of time with a similarly torqueless/heavyish S2000. I would do one maybe as a track car, but for the street I've discovered I need straight line brutality.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on July 17, 2014, 05:31:14 AM
I check my oil half way before its time for an oil change

I buy one extra quar when I change my oil. That last me to the next change at 3k miles.
That's less oil then my girlfriends 2000 civic burns.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2014, 07:53:36 AM
I just cant, after spending a ton of time with a similarly torqueless/heavyish S2000. I would do one maybe as a track car, but for the street I've discovered I need straight line brutality.

But you drive a 350z.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on July 17, 2014, 08:44:18 AM

But you drive a 350z.

350Z is a lot faster than an RX-8. (Not that the RX-8 is slow)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2014, 09:21:23 AM

Significantly more torque which gives a lot of low end grunt. It probably is the better street car for that reason. What Z's lack in refinement they make up for in their value/speed ratio. Plus the history and heritage aspect is there. :lol:

12,000 RPM

IMO if you have to really search and scour for a road to enjoy your car, it's a bad match. And that has been my experience with high revving street cars.

The more and more I commute the more I appreciate low/midrange grunt. That combined w/riding in my boss' car... I think my next car will be an x35i. But thats another thread in a few years.....

SVT666

That's why I am such a MUstang fan.  No matter where you drive it, it's fun.

Onslaught

Strange, I've never had a hard time having fun in high rev cars. Never had problems driving them in traffic or any other place.  Never had to look for roads to use them on too.

r0tor

Quote from: Raza  on July 17, 2014, 09:21:23 AM

What's a lot?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on July 17, 2014, 01:01:55 PM
What's a lot?

Yeah, my good friend had a 350 and his was faster. But I wouldn't say it was "a lot" faster.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on July 17, 2014, 01:01:55 PM
What's a lot?
3/4s through the quarter, 2s on 5-60

The 5-60 is most telling

Most people dont have a touge commute. Cars like the RX8, S2K, Miata etc are great there and great important cars in the philosophical sense but IMO a PITA in the real world.

2o6

At it's worst, an rX8 curb stomps my Yaris.

I don't understand what you're talking about.

Onslaught

Driving an RX-8 in the real/normal world is easy. Anyone who says it isn't is nuts. I'm sure the S2000 is fine too.

12,000 RPM

It's not dangerous. But where it excels doesnt line up with street driving.

r0tor

...yea, I need to get out of my car and push it up most hills...

I find it odd one of the resident manual tranny Nazis has a problem with a downshift now and then...

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: r0tor on July 17, 2014, 05:03:37 PM
...yea, I need to get out of my car and push it up most hills...

I find it odd one of the resident manual tranny Nazis has a problem with a downshift now and then...

That's why they kept the curb weight low, so when you are by yourself you can still push it.

I'm always getting stuck behind RX8's. Poor guys are just rowing the shit out of the gears trying to get up to the speed of traffic. A real road hazard IMO.

Rupert

Oh for...

I can have fun in anything that's smallish and lightish in almost any kind of setting, so long as traffic isn't heavy. If y'all can't, that's ya'alls' faults.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

I have been thinking about one of these as a replacement for the Z. I like the 4 seats, and they're cheap so I wouldn't feel guilty about turbocharging one. Then I'd get a Civic or something for a DD.

hotrodalex

I hope you and H aren't the same way with women as you are with cars. Always wanting to replace the one in the garage.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2014, 09:40:23 AM
I have been thinking about one of these as a replacement for the Z. I like the 4 seats, and they're cheap so I wouldn't feel guilty about turbocharging one. Then I'd get a Civic or something for a DD.
Why would you buy an RX-8 and DD a POS Civic?  RX-8 would be a perfect DD...well, except for having to put oil in it every day.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on August 13, 2014, 10:13:12 AM
Why would you buy an RX-8 and DD a POS Civic?  RX-8 would be a perfect DD...well, except for having to put oil in it every day.

Maybe he could invent an oil plug-in. Teslas charge over night, RX-8 oils up.