I drove an RX-8 Today

Started by 2o6, July 15, 2014, 05:27:01 PM

2o6

6-speed, 98K. only $5900.

I want it, even though I'm pretty sure it's going to need a new motor very soon.

I fucking love this car. It's like a RWD Civic Si.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MX793

The RX-8 still ranks as one of the best cars I've driven.  Steering felt perfectly weighted and was communicative, suspension was taught but not harsh, shifter was very good, the engine note was great, the sight-lines were good...  If the rear seats had folded flat to expand the tiny trunk space, I'd probably have one now instead of the Mustang.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on July 15, 2014, 05:35:38 PM
The RX-8 still ranks as one of the best cars I've driven.  Steering felt perfectly weighted and was communicative, suspension was taught but not harsh, shifter was very good, the engine note was great, the sight-lines were good...  If the rear seats had folded flat to expand the tiny trunk space, I'd probably have one now instead of the Mustang.

It's like a RWD Civic Si. It's not very fast, but it's very effortless. And the rear seats real people.

I really like this car a lot

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on July 15, 2014, 07:38:17 PM

It's like a RWD Civic Si. It's not very fast, but it's very effortless. And the rear seats real people.

I really like this car a lot

It didn't have quite the thrust of my Mustang, but it was brisk enough to be entertaining.  The torque curve was pretty flat, as I recall.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

The rotary would make me a bit nervous. I should drive one, though.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

"I'm pretty sure it's going to need a new motor very soon."

What makes you say that? If something seems wrong then have it looked at before buying. If something is wrong then walk the fuck away and find another one. The one good thing if your'e an RX-8 fan is most other people aren't. So finding a great condition used one for dirt cheap is easy.

Speed_Racer

r0tor

An engine compression test would reveal everything you need to know.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

They only want $5990 for it

2o6

At 98K, and 2006MY, does this mean it's just barely still in that 100K warranty?

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 16, 2014, 07:02:33 AM
They only want $5990 for it

Sounds about right. If the engine is sound it's a good deal. I'd also be wary of the engine with 100,000 miles on it, but like the experts said, a compression test and a good inspection is all that's needed. I know of at least one (2005) RX-8 in the area with 260,000 km (160,000 miles) on it, original engine.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 16, 2014, 07:05:35 AM
At 98K, and 2006MY, does this mean it's just barely still in that 100K warranty?

Wasn't it 100k or 5 years? If so, then no warranty.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on July 16, 2014, 08:08:36 AM
Wasn't it 100k or 5 years? If so, then no warranty.

Eight years

Onslaught

Take it to mazda or a rotary shop and have the test done.
But really, cheap RX-8 are very easy to find. So easy I'm thinking
Of getting one as a track car one day.

FlatBlackCaddy

I've always like the RX cars, the 8 is a fantastic bargain. I wouldn't give it such a backhanded comment by comparing it to a Civic Si.

Onslaught

Miata with a roof, back seats and trunk is more like it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2014, 09:10:34 AM
Miata with a roof, back seats and trunk is more like it.

I don't care for back seats in a sports car. So all that equates to is extra weight. I'd prefer a miata with a roof and a rotary.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 16, 2014, 09:12:10 AM
I don't care for back seats in a sports car. So all that equates to is extra weight. I'd prefer a miata with a roof and a rotary.
The RX-8 isn't a sports car. It's a sports sedan. Some people, like me need the extra room but still want the sport part.

But yes, a coupe miata based RX-7 would be perfect.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2014, 09:29:42 AM
The RX-8 isn't a sports car. It's a sports sedan. Some people, like me need the extra room but still want the sport part.

But yes, a coupe miata based RX-7 would be perfect.

"Sports sedan", you must sleep with that PR release under your pillow. It was a poor attempt at taking an impractical car and making it slightly more practical while alienating it's core(historic) customers and other sports car customers. IMO.

Onslaught

Actually Mazda calls it a sports car. But it's not a sports car because it has 4 doors and useable back seats. So it's impossible for it to be a sports car in my book. The only thing it can be then is a sports sedan.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2014, 10:07:34 AM
Actually Mazda calls it a sports car. But it's not a sports car because it has 4 doors and useable back seats. So it's impossible for it to be a sports car in my book. The only thing it can be then is a sports sedan.

I agree, they should have made it an actual sport car without rear seats.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2014, 10:07:34 AM
It's a sports coupe.  It's not a sedan by any means, and it's definitely not a sports car.

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on July 16, 2014, 10:14:45 AM
It's a sports coupe.  It's not a sedan by any means, and it's definitely not a sports car.
Don't see why it's not a sedan. It has just as much rear leg and head room as many sedans I've been in. Even more head room then some.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 16, 2014, 10:11:36 AM
I agree, they should have made it an actual sport car without rear seats.

It made more people happy. But then I'd be driving around in a G37 S or BMW now.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2014, 10:20:43 AM
Don't see why it's not a sedan. It has just as much rear leg and head room as many sedans I've been in. Even more head room then some.

Doesn't the old definition of coupe/sedan have to do with a solid/fixed B pillar. I guess since the 8 lacks that it would be considered a coupe.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2014, 10:25:41 AM
It made more people happy. But then I'd be driving around in a G37 S or BMW now.

I recall at the time it made alot of RX7 fans unhappy, so I don't know who it would have made happy. Probably the non buying media reviewers. I always thought all the mazda fans wanted a 2 door 2 seater, guess I misunderstood that for all these years.

r0tor

Quote from: Onslaught on July 16, 2014, 10:25:41 AM

Same here
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Automobile magazine put it best I think.

"You'll never forget the one that broke your balls (FD RX-7) but the RX-8 is the one you marry.

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd gush over shit I'm never going to buy all day if I got paid to do it.

Sadly the rear seats and doors of the RX8 didn't translate into broader market appeal. They would have been better making it smaller and lighter without the seats, in the end I don't think it would have altered the history(sales and profit) wise but would have been true to being a RX7 successor.