My Alternative Lifestyle Wagon

Started by 68_427, August 07, 2014, 10:31:19 AM

68_427

Here it is.  Gonna hit 74K miles today.  It's a base 1999 Outback with 5MT.  It's rust free and I payed $4500 after taxes which I'm pretty damn happy about. 

Outback front by CaleDeRoo, on Flickr

Outback FR 34 by CaleDeRoo, on Flickr

Outback side by CaleDeRoo, on Flickr

outback interior by CaleDeRoo, on Flickr

Unlike my 2000 which revved to 6K pretty freely, this one just begs me to upshift after 4500rpm, so that might be the first thing I dig into.  Then after winter I'm going to lower it a bit since what I really wanted was a Legacy GT.   :tounge:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

That looks super clean, especially compared to the car it replaced.

My only complaint - It bothers me how the wheelbase doesn't seem to fit the wheel arches. Maybe it's just the picture.

68_427

The wide angle lens doesn't help that fact
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Seems pretty pricey but maybe not, I don't know the market.

This generation looks so much better than the second one.

mzziaz

Don't lower it, you idiot.

Oh, and congrats.
Cuore Sportivo

68_427

Quote from: TBR on August 07, 2014, 11:11:27 AM
Seems pretty pricey but maybe not, I don't know the market.

This generation looks so much better than the second one.

It's a bit different here in NY.  :tounge:
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Wait, is 68_427 our first openly lesbian forum member...?

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

TBR

Quote from: 68_427 on August 07, 2014, 11:44:17 AM
It's a bit different here in NY.  :tounge:

Well then when it comes time to sell mine I am going on a road trip :tounge:

68_427

Quote from: TBR on August 07, 2014, 12:16:42 PM
Well then when it comes time to sell mine I am going on a road trip :tounge:

Rust free Subaru from Texas?  Yeah it might be worth your while.
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Those things have aged so well. Your car is super clean. Congratulations, and buy it an EJ205

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colin

Looks good, Cale.

Boy do you guys have to pay through the nose for cars of that age, though.......... In UK (and the rest of Europe), you'd pick up a car like this for a three figure sum (in £), £1000 tops.

MX793

Quote from: Colin on August 09, 2014, 05:22:38 AM
Looks good, Cale.

Boy do you guys have to pay through the nose for cars of that age, though.......... In UK (and the rest of Europe), you'd pick up a car like this for a three figure sum (in £), £1000 tops.

Finding a car of that age in good knick in NY is very difficult.  The long winters and generous use of road salt take a heavy toll on vehicles here.  About a year ago, a friend of mine picked up an '02 WRX for I believe ~$5K and in the 8 months he owned it, had to drop a significant amount of money into it due to corrosion-related failures.  The radiator ruptured within the first 2 weeks of ownership, having rotted through.  This was followed by the fuel tank splitting a seam a month or so later.  When he took it to a shop to see about replacing the fuel tank, the first place he went to told him that the car was so rusted underneath that they didn't want to even attempt to pull the fuel tank.  He found someone to replace the tank and got rid of it shortly after that (sold to some WRX fan-boy who didn't care that the car was falling apart).  My Mazda went to the scrap yard on a tow-truck after it succumbed to the red death in only 10 years (and less than 100K miles), and not for lack of being cared for.  A friend with the same model and year traded his in last year said he had discovered a hole rusted through the floor pan beneath his carpet just before he traded it in.  My grandparents' Lincoln wouldn't pass the annual safety inspection after 12 years due to corrosion damage.  A co-worker, who kept a complete record of every repair he made to his car, was telling me that on his previous car (that he'd kept for something like 18 years), his repair expenses really spiked after year 10 and most of the added expense was dealing with corrosion issues.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Looks great man. What kind of camera did you use? Judging by the vignetting it looks expensive.

And I think you should lower it. We talked about this in another thread. They look and handle great lowered.

This is a little too much but you get the gist.

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Lol just another NEX user here.  The interior and full side shot were 16mm with wide angle adapter, the other two were just the pancake since the polarizer doesn't go onto the adapter :(

That's what I'm going for^  but without fancy wheels cus I can't afford that.
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on August 09, 2014, 07:10:17 AM
Finding a car of that age in good knick in NY is very difficult.  The long winters and generous use of road salt take a heavy toll on vehicles here.  About a year ago, a friend of mine picked up an '02 WRX for I believe ~$5K and in the 8 months he owned it, had to drop a significant amount of money into it due to corrosion-related failures.  The radiator ruptured within the first 2 weeks of ownership, having rotted through.  This was followed by the fuel tank splitting a seam a month or so later.  When he took it to a shop to see about replacing the fuel tank, the first place he went to told him that the car was so rusted underneath that they didn't want to even attempt to pull the fuel tank.  He found someone to replace the tank and got rid of it shortly after that (sold to some WRX fan-boy who didn't care that the car was falling apart).  My Mazda went to the scrap yard on a tow-truck after it succumbed to the red death in only 10 years (and less than 100K miles), and not for lack of being cared for.  A friend with the same model and year traded his in last year said he had discovered a hole rusted through the floor pan beneath his carpet just before he traded it in.  My grandparents' Lincoln wouldn't pass the annual safety inspection after 12 years due to corrosion damage.  A co-worker, who kept a complete record of every repair he made to his car, was telling me that on his previous car (that he'd kept for something like 18 years), his repair expenses really spiked after year 10 and most of the added expense was dealing with corrosion issues.

Did you seriously scrap your Mazda 3?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on August 09, 2014, 07:10:17 AM
U guys need anode kitz

That sucks balls

Rupert

Lowering an Outback is about the same as lowering a Power Ram. It's like buying a red CRV and then painting it silver, as if silver is impossible to find. Like buying a Prius an putting a V8 in it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

68_427

Lol not really.  Up here you take what you can get.  If I waited for a LGT wagon in the same shape as my car I may never get a new car.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2014, 02:31:41 PM
Lowering an Outback is about the same as lowering a Power Ram. It's like buying a red CRV and then painting it silver, as if silver is impossible to find. Like buying a Prius an putting a V8 in it.
No

Where are the stock lowered Power Rams

An Outback is just a raised Legacy. Lowering an Outback is like lowering a G35 (the Z is just a lowered SWB G).

CALL_911

In a vacuum, I'd say Rupert's dead right. However, I get Cale's sentiment.

With that said, I wouldn't lower the thing given Rochester's winters.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

Guise.  I'm just planning on putting Legacy suspension on it.  Legacies do fine in winter here.  I think I'll be ok.
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Ground clearance is always nice in winter, that's all I says. No one said anything about the Legacy being shit

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Stop being a pussy and pony up for the STI wheels

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

I read this thread before bed a few nights ago and have been toying with ideas of selling the GTI and buying one of these (a shittier example than this one) and an AP1 S2000. Won't happen, but it doesnt hurt to dream right

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

68_427

I'm not doing this until after winter anyways.  And If I'm under the car swapping suspension I may as well swap in an LSD as well.  So plans much excite wow
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 10, 2014, 03:20:31 PM
I read this thread before bed a few nights ago and have been toying with ideas of selling the GTI and buying one of these (a shittier example than this one) and an AP1 S2000. Won't happen, but it doesnt hurt to dream right

Then you'd have two cars that rev over 3500rpm at 75mph lol
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Dont care. I'm at ~3k at 75 in 6th in the GTI. I actually like it quite a bit because it's quite responsive on the highway. I'll take the responsiveness over solitude any day

2004 S2000
2016 340xi