New Jeep Cherokee is kicking ass

Started by veeman, August 07, 2014, 01:13:24 PM

Galaxy

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 11:22:27 AM
What's not to like? :-)

The fact that it will send you crashing against the wall at 20mph while some wimpy economy car has come to a stop in time.  I would love to rent a Wrangler one day, and I hope that ChryslerFiat will not water down the successor, but as an everyday car for the street there are better vehicles.

Catman

Quote from: Galaxy on August 09, 2014, 02:21:46 PM
The fact that it will send you crashing against the wall at 20mph while some wimpy economy car has come to a stop in time.  I would love to rent a Wrangler one day, and I hope that ChryslerFiat will not water down the successor, but as an everyday car for the street there are better vehicles.

:lol: 

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 09, 2014, 01:48:59 PM
Ppl down here love Wranglers. Its like a good ol boy X5 or something. I dont get it, esp if you're not offroading (which most people here with them arent)

The car very often cross-shopped with Wranglers -> Mustangs.  It's a reaction against the reality that one is a domesticated husband and is more socially acceptable and easier than joining a Fight Club.  It's a stronger reaction than buying a Grand Cherokee but less of a reaction than buying a Harley.

Rupert

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 08, 2014, 09:06:52 PM
I don't think the concept of a tent on a car is a good idea anyway.

Eh, there are better ways to sleep in your car/truck in comfort, sure, but then concept of sleeping in your car/truck in comfort is a great idea. I do it whenever I take the Explorer camping. So nice.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 11:22:27 AM
What's not to like? :-)

OMG, so much. Have you ever driven one at speed? For a long distance? Around a corner a little fast? Around some debris that  a semi threw off at 60 mph?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on August 09, 2014, 12:37:32 PM
I've been toying with the idea of selling the Explorer and getting a Wrangler Unlimited.

What year Explorer? Sub-model and miles? Cost? :lol:

Mine is a piece, I want a newer one.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Quote from: Catman on August 09, 2014, 07:56:42 PM
Trailhawk is pretty damn capable

Hammering the Anvil: 2014 Trailhawk(KL) on Hell's Revenge

I'm impressed. On the other hand, the Wrangler had a much easier time, and the Cherokee never would have come away undamaged without the rock guards, decent driving, and good spotting.

I will say that I'm gradually changing my preference from truck-based suspension to fully independent with good diffs and skid plates. My folks have a late-aughts Explorer with open diffs that is perfectly capable for just about anyone's practical needs.

Catman

The Wrangler had a much shorter wheelbase and more clearance.

Catman

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2014, 02:15:56 PM
OMG, so much. Have you ever driven one at speed? For a long distance? Around a corner a little fast? Around some debris that  a semi threw off at 60 mph?

Understanding what you are driving can help with those expectations.

Rupert

You mean a piece of 1940s technology?

Rupert

Quote from: Catman on August 10, 2014, 04:37:16 PM
The Wrangler had a much shorter wheelbase and more clearance.

Yes, and full lockers, better tires, solid axles, presumably better gears...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2014, 04:41:48 PM
You mean a piece of 1940s technology?

I've driven a '40s Jeep. 

Trust me, they've come a long way.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Catman

I have two friends at work that have unlimited and they are pretty damn comfortable in my opinion.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 10, 2014, 05:17:22 PM
I've driven a '40s Jeep. 

Trust me, they've come a long way.

Yeah, yeah...

Other than the image and the no-doors thing, there is nothing fun about driving them, unless you're into anachronism.

MrH

I'm with Rupert. I don't understand the fascination with them. You can get something much more comfortable, better driving, more utility, more luxury, and nearly the same off road performance.

What's with all these spinners wanting one all of a sudden?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Catman

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2014, 05:27:16 PM
Yeah, yeah...

Other than the image and the no-doors thing, there is nothing fun about driving them, unless you're into anachronism.

My boss has one and told me he loves driving it.  Most fun vehicle he's owned. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: MrH on August 10, 2014, 05:29:27 PM
I'm with Rupert. I don't understand the fascination with them. You can get something much more comfortable, better driving, more utility, more luxury, and nearly the same off road performance.

They look cool.

Same reason I have my car.

2o6

I've driven a few Wranglers on road.

They suck.

Soup DeVille

Yeah, yeah...

Last weekend, I seriously considered buying a B model Mack,
If that answers your question.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Oh, also other Wrangler drivers wave to you, so there's that.

Rupert

Quote from: Catman on August 10, 2014, 05:29:36 PM
My boss has one and told me he loves driving it.  Most fun vehicle he's owned.

He's clearly never owned a vehicle where the engineers ever thought about driving dynamics, then.

Actually, I take that back. When they designed the current Wrangler, they spent a huge amount of effort on driving dynamics. It was the only way such a ridiculous suspension and steering setup might survive the modern market.

Catman

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2014, 06:28:01 PM
He's clearly never owned a vehicle where the engineers ever thought about driving dynamics, then.

Actually, I take that back. When they designed the current Wrangler, they spent a huge amount of effort on driving dynamics. It was the only way such a ridiculous suspension and steering setup might survive the modern market.

He drives a Charger most of the time but loves driving the Wrangler. Says he always has fun driving it.

SVT32V

Yeah, yeah...

Eh, there is nothing fun about driving an understeering fwd alfa either.

Driving in the wrangler is fun, top off, open view, much like an MGB was slow as shit but still fun to drive. Not everything has to hit apexes at ludicrous speed to be fun.

Soup DeVille

Both my Wranglers were fun; and those were a CJ7 and a YJ; and the new ones are light years ahead of them in the driving dynamics department.

SVT32V

Quote from: veeman on August 10, 2014, 09:34:52 AM
The car very often cross-shopped with Wranglers -> Mustangs.  It's a reaction against the reality that one is a domesticated husband and is more socially acceptable and easier than joining a Fight Club.  It's a stronger reaction than buying a Grand Cherokee but less of a reaction than buying a Harley.

Unlike the harleys that just make noise the iconic, the mustang and wrangler are actually good vehicles for their niche.

As for the psychobabble about socially acceptable-fight club nonsense, should I take that to mean that buying a VW beetle is just a socially acceptable way for a domesticated husband to compensate in light of wanting to live an alternative lifestyle?

SVT32V

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 10, 2014, 08:07:25 PM
Both my Wranglers were fun; and those were a CJ7 and a YJ; and the new ones are light years ahead of them in the driving dynamics department.

I agree, they are fun to drive, the 4dr unlimited are really tame in comparison to the old ones, they ride quite nice for their capability.

Also, if you want something with room and an bit of capability and a manual transmission, besides the wrangler there is none.

SVT32V

Quote from: MrH on August 10, 2014, 05:29:27 PM

OK, in its price range what else holds a candle to the JK?