New Jeep Cherokee is kicking ass

Started by veeman, August 07, 2014, 01:13:24 PM

veeman

http://www.freep.com/article/20140801/BUSINESS0104/308010038/Auto-sales-Ford-GM-Chrysler

No matter what souce you look at, it's clear the new Jeep Cherokee is kicking ass in the sales department.  There were and are many naysayers that hate it, especially on this forum, but its selling real well.  Jeep took a chance alienating its base, but its worked out for them.  You know its selling well too because of its styling, not despite it.   Plenty of other SUVs ride better, and few people off road in them as opposed to the Wrangler.

68_427

I love these things.  Then again I love the Juke too.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

I wouldnt mind it so much if it weren't so heavy....

The whole FCA C segment platform is overweight, but undersized. It's bizarre.

Glad it's doing well though, Chrysler needs a hit bad.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SVT666

It looks so much better in the metal than in pictures. I really dig it.

hotrodalex

That picture actually looks decent.

Haven't seen any in person.

2o6

I've seen quite a few in person.

I've the front end, but not much else.

280Z Turbo

Well the Jeeptards still think Chrysler owes them a shitty old box on wheels with solid axles and a coarse AMC straight six. They'll never get over it. For the rest of us, we realize that Jeep needs to bring in profits.

Most of them can't afford a new car anyway. :lol:

r0tor

Imagine how well it would sell if it weren't butt ugly
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on August 07, 2014, 02:57:10 PM

Imagine how well it would sell if it weren't butt ugly

Nah, that it's ugly is what's making it sell.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 07, 2014, 02:11:44 PM
Most of them can't afford a new car anyway. :lol:

Have you see Jeep prices? Used ones are as much as new ones.

Payman

I see tons of these on the road. I like the styling... it's grown on me.

MexicoCityM3

Saw my first TrailHahwk V6 version yesterday. I liked it.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on August 07, 2014, 03:08:18 PM

Nah, that it's ugly is what's making it sell.

Exactly. Distinctive is distinctive, no matter the reason. That's why I see Jukes everywhere when they're vomit-inducing.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on August 07, 2014, 03:56:49 PM
Exactly. Distinctive is distinctive, no matter the reason. That's why I see Jukes everywhere when they're vomit-inducing.

Nahhh.  If that were so, the Aztek would have sold well.  There's a difference between distinctive and cool looking and distinctive and ugly. 

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: veeman on August 07, 2014, 05:19:06 PM
Nahhh.  If that were so, the Aztek would have sold well.  There's a difference between distinctive and cool looking and distinctive and ugly.

Agreed. Even the latest TL was a flop, probably for that reason

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MrH

A coworkers girlfriend has a trail hawk version that he brings in sometimes. Looks good in dark Grey, with the red tow hooks on the front.

Most of them look like crap though IMO
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT32V

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 07, 2014, 01:27:35 PM
Glad it's doing well though, Chrysler needs a hit bad.

Jeep has done well by Fiat-Chrysler.
The grand cherokee, wrangler and cherokee will all sell ~150K/yr vehicles or past it.
Which isn't camry or F-150 numbers, but all of those numbers are a hit.

Catman

I think they are pretty cool.  Would rather have a Wrangler Unlimited though.

Raza

Times have changed. People have become more used to these ugly newer cars and therefore the ugliest ones are becoming oddly attractive to those so afflicted.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

The Aztek, like everything GM of that era, was a shitbox.  A horribly designed car put together by the lowest common denominator of employable people. 

Everyone I know who has a GM product built from 1990 - 2005 should have bought something - anything - else. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

Tell that to 565 or anyone with a GMT800

(but no, by and large you're right)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

280Z Turbo

I wouldn't mind a C5, even if the interior is horrible and the exterior styling is blob-like.

veeman

Quote from: Raza  on August 07, 2014, 08:54:11 PM
Times have changed. People have become more used to these ugly newer cars and therefore the ugliest ones are becoming oddly attractive to those so afflicted.

I agree with you that there is something appealing to just being different that wasn't there in the past.  I think it has to do with pedestrian crash safety rules and homogeneity among different models of the same make.  All cars have this bulbous rounded front and all audis, bmws, mercs, etc. are looking more and more similar across their entire product line. 

This jeep looks good though, especially with big thick tires.  In higher v6 trim I'd take one any day over a rav4, crv, escape, equinox.  The only car of this type I'd take over the jeep would be a subie outback/forrester.

hotrodalex

It should be a crime to put anything other than fat off road tires on a Jeep.

12,000 RPM

Aztek was ahead of its time, and would have did well had its concept translated to production better.

I think classic beauty is cool but I also don't think it's good to stifle creativity. People dumped on Bangle's (really Van Hoonyk or whatever the fuck his name is) designs... but IMO, the Bangle Butt 6 and 7 series' cars are among BMW's best designs of all time. And the E60 is aging better than its conservative contemporaries (again IMO). Lot of folks hated the Z4... poster child for "flame surfacing".... but now its on its way to being a classic

So I don't see problems with cars like the Juke or Cherokee... people like + buy them and they add variety. Everything isn't for everybody, but more choice is never a bad thing.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 08, 2014, 06:15:37 AM
Aztek was ahead of its time, and would have did well had its concept translated to production better.

Why do people say this.

The Aztek was not a problem with styling - although ugly - it was a problem with extreme cost-cutting measures enacted by GM that made the end product utter shit.

The Aztek was a SWB Venture van with funky styling. It looked like one (tall, narrow), and it drove like one. It even had that same solid axle on FWD models, and the same not that competitive 3.4L and 4AT that GM put in every car of that era.

Besides, the Concept was ugly as hell

hotrodalex

Nah I'm pretty sure it was the styling. Most people were too busy puking to realize how lame it was underneath the skin.

SVT666

The Aztek was ugly and oddly proportioned.  The new ugly cars are still proportioned well.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on August 08, 2014, 09:33:06 AM

Why do people say this.

The Aztek was not a problem with styling - although ugly - it was a problem with extreme cost-cutting measures enacted by GM that made the end product utter shit.
Lol this is what I just said. Nowhere did I say the Aztek was good looking, but it was the translation from concept to production that really killed it.