Former BRZ owner reviews 350Z

Started by 12,000 RPM, August 13, 2014, 04:27:49 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

Took one look at who made the video and turned it off. That guy is awful. Huge attention whore on all subaru forums, trying to make a name for himself in the YouTube car review scene by purposely being controversial.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

What is with the fucking intro music, this isn't Ultra here

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

I'm sorry, but did he call the tachometer, a "tock" at 3:28?

r0tor

I saw the name and turned it off... 90% of wrx owners in my area are utter douchebags and this one seemed similar
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

GoCougs

Jesus, tough crowd.

It's fine - he's just a regular guy. They're great cars. Agree about the interior (and Nissan/Infiniti interiors in general) - they don't wear well.

Rupert

Meh, most YouTube reviewers are complete idiots.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

MexicoCityM3

The review wasn't bad. Quite thorough IMO and he sure loved your car.

If the steering is anything like the G37S I drove I can see why.

Also, inevitably ended up seeing his E90 M3 review. In comparison it was meh to him.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Xer0

I've seen a couple of his reviews.  Honestly, he isn't bad, but his vocabulary is very limited.  He'll repeat a handful of words and it will just annoy you.  Otherwise, its nice to see someone relatively young do decently thorough reviews instead of just talk about how crazy fast the car is (or isn't) for 5 minutes and call it a day.  Also, he doesn't try to be Jeremy Clarkson, which is nice.

CALL_911

Aside from the guy being kinda strange, the review itself was fine

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on August 13, 2014, 05:10:06 PM
Took one look at who made the video and turned it off. That guy is awful. Huge attention whore on all subaru forums, trying to make a name for himself in the YouTube car review scene by purposely being controversial.
Wat has he done thats "purposely being controversial"

Disagreed with you? :lol:

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 14, 2014, 07:20:23 AM
Wat has he done thats "purposely being controversial"

Disagreed with you? :lol:

Naw, he shamelessly spammed his shit across BRZ forums to try and get a response out of people.  He's like a self promoting carny.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Wow, that interior is beat to shit for a car that's the same age as mine, isn't exposed to the elements, and has 70K fewer miles.  I've seen cars with 150K miles in the same price bracket and cheaper when new and they've held up better.

I mean, the clutch and shifter are awful, it doesn't really let you forget the heft, but it's still a car I love.  It looks fantastic, and he's right in that it feels every bit as quick as the 370Z, which didn't move the game on and came out with ugly styling.   

Just goes to show you how different people experience things differently.  I felt that it was fast, but I didn't like the controls and I thought it was a bit dull in the corners.  Still, even though I didn't particularly like driving it, I often find myself drifting back to the 350Z, and then reminding myself that I didn't really like driving it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on August 14, 2014, 07:57:51 AM
Naw, he shamelessly spammed his shit across BRZ forums to try and get a response out of people.  He's like a self promoting carny.
What's wrong with self-promotion?  That's how you build your brand.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SVT666 on August 14, 2014, 09:54:53 AM

What if your shit stinks?

12,000 RPM

I like his reviews. I'm subscribed to his channel. He is a little bit of a weirdo, and I can see how spamming a board would turn people on it off. But his reviews are pretty good. He is like a really poor man's Alex Dykes.

Quote from: Raza  on August 14, 2014, 08:00:39 AM
Wow, that interior is beat to shit for a car that's the same age as mine, isn't exposed to the elements, and has 70K fewer miles.  I've seen cars with 150K miles in the same price bracket and cheaper when new and they've held up better.

I mean, the clutch and shifter are awful, it doesn't really let you forget the heft, but it's still a car I love.  It looks fantastic, and he's right in that it feels every bit as quick as the 370Z, which didn't move the game on and came out with ugly styling.   

Just goes to show you how different people experience things differently.  I felt that it was fast, but I didn't like the controls and I thought it was a bit dull in the corners.  Still, even though I didn't particularly like driving it, I often find myself drifting back to the 350Z, and then reminding myself that I didn't really like driving it. 
You don't really notice the interior while you are driving. The materials are ass, but ergonomically it's perfect. I hated the clutch/shifter at first... it takes time; you get used to it. I still don't love it; it's nowhere near something like the S2000's shifter. But it's light years ahead of the shifter in my mid 90s Maximas, or in the Benzes I drove in Ghana. It could be a lot worse. At the absolute limit in the corners it understeers like a pig, and the traction control is coarse as fuck. But it gives you a lot of leeway, feels buttoned down enough with a nice amount of lean, and has a shitload of mechanical grip. The LSD in the rear end is a nice touch too, it really digs in, provides feedback and rewards good throttle control.

It was never meant to be a precision machine.... but it gets the job done, and puts a smile on your face when you get it on the right road, or an onramp, or w/e. Its not like an old Mustang, which is just all go and a Crown Vic on stiff springs in the corners. It's somewhat balanced. That you have unprompted fond thoughts of it and have to "remind yourself" you don't like it is probably its highest endorsement :lol:

MexicoCityM3

You have a fun car.  :ohyeah:

That's what counts after all.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 14, 2014, 09:57:08 AM
What if your shit stinks?

Exactly.  His reviews are pretty awful.  I watch Clarkson and Harris because they're entertaining and insightful and are driving exotics I'll never get a chance to experience.  This is just some schmuck driving mundane cars I've driven all myself anyways. :huh:

Any Joe Schmoe enthusiast could get a go pro and make similar, if not better, video reviews.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

12,000 RPM

Clarkson insightful lmao. Now Ive truly heard it all

MrH

Hey, I said Harris and Clarkson are entertaining and insightful.  Clarkson definitely is more entertaining than insightful, Harris probably the opposite.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

He doesn't like the Miata. Unforgivable.

12,000 RPM

I dont think Ive ever come away from a Top Gear review with a meaningful sense of how a car drove. Its all fancy cinematography and the hosts personality/chemistry, with cars as a convenient backdrop. Which is fine, but makes for shit "reviews".

Harris is hit or miss... I watch his review of the 991 GT3 probably 3-4 times a year... but a lot of times, it's the same "drifting around a 'circuit' for 10 minutes" crap. I'm realizing more and more I'm more concerned with what a car is like to live with and drive on the street, how it sounds, what little cool technical details it has, etc, than how it looks going sideways, or how it would fare in a race down a mountain against an Olympic skiier. That shit is kinda played out.

r0tor

Harris doesn't actually drift, no matter what he claims... Even his video on "how to drift" should be labeled "how to power slide"
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

There's promoting oneself, and there's self-promotion. Cougs promotes himself; H engages in self-promotion. :lol: