Dash Cam

Started by veeman, August 19, 2014, 07:28:43 AM

veeman

Any of you use a dash cam?  On my way from work while getting ready to stop for gas, I saw a guy back up into a car waiting behind him at the pump.  This asshole then proceeds to argue with the guy he backed up into that he was the one who was rammed from behind. 

I was thinking a dash cam might help prevent this kind of bullshit. 

Speed_Racer

Quote from: veeman on August 19, 2014, 07:28:43 AM
Any of you use a dash cam?  On my way from work while getting ready to stop for gas, I saw a guy back up into a car waiting behind him at the pump.  This asshole then proceeds to argue with the guy he backed up into that he was the one who was rammed from behind. 

I was thinking a dash cam might help prevent this kind of bullshit. 

I've heard a lot of good things about this one, you can't beat it for the price. It's on my list of things to buy for the car, but since I ride my motorcycle more I'm probably going to get a helmet cam first.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-G1W-1920x1080-Dashboard/dp/B00FONBG1A

Tave

I'd be really worried about the potential civil and criminal exposure. Remember, it records everything you do wrong too.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

hotrodalex

Seems like one of those things that would be unused 99% of the time. Might be that 1% of the time where it's nice to have, but personally I'd rather take the risk than deal with the dash cam. Unless I move to Russia.

Laconian

Quote from: Tave on August 19, 2014, 03:01:32 PM
I'd be really worried about the potential civil and criminal exposure. Remember, it records everything you do wrong too.
Throw away the SD card if you're in the wrong. :huh: You don't have to testify against yourself.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

What if you're in a serious accident that is probably your fault? Doesn't the cam footage become evidence before you can smash it (assuming you're in the hospital)?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 19, 2014, 08:02:55 PM
What if you're in a serious accident that is probably your fault? Doesn't the cam footage become evidence before you can smash it (assuming you're in the hospital)?

No, it would be your property that would need a search warrant or other legal course of action to sieze. Not to say that it still couldn't be taken from you, but it can't be done just willy-nily.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I would guess a search warrant would be pretty easy to get if there were serious injuries or someone died.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 19, 2014, 08:08:58 PM
I would guess a search warrant would be pretty easy to get if there were serious injuries or someone died.

Probably, but that's also assuming the police know the dash cam footage even exists; which, depending on the installation can be a pretty iffy situation.

I mean, all airbag equipped cars ran around with event recorders on them for more than a decade before the authorities realized that data could be accessed for their purposes.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

I thought about getting one for the brz. This is the brand every one on the brz forums use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B4E9764?cache=d5ba993119b91be73ee1f59e048396af&pi=SX200_QL40&qid=1408501575&sr=8-1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Hardwire it in, and put it up behind the review mirror. No one even notices. Constantly records when driving. Automatically starts recording when parked if motion or shock to the camera. It's a pretty slick setup.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Thanks for replies. 

I'm not worried too much about me being at fault (ego) but I am worried about scammers.  Not really worried about them but more ... This would be a cool thing to have just in case.  Almost everyone gets in a fenderbender and more than one.  How often does the guilty party try to bullshit their way out of it?  Dash cam would be a very cool thing to have. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

I've been considering one of these myself! After I was given a ticket for STOPPING too far past a stop sign I wished I had video evidence.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2014, 07:47:11 PM
Throw away the SD card if you're in the wrong. :huh: You don't have to testify against yourself.

Assuming you're conscious, of course now you've exposed yourself to even further criminal liability. You can also be compelled to produce it civilly, or the jury might be instructed that you destroyed it and they're allowed to assume whatever was on it was damaging to your case.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Just buy a gun, file the serial numbers off, and keep it in your car.  I guarantee you won't have any problems with a guy back into you at the gas station. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on August 20, 2014, 10:07:52 PM
Just buy a gun, file the serial numbers off, and keep it in your car.  I guarantee you won't have any problems with a guy back into you at the gas station. 

Noob. Why not just tattoo "arrest me" on your forehead?

Don't file the serial numbers off. Buy a 9mm Glock. Then, at a gun store, in cash, but a conversion .40 S&W barrel. If anything happens, scrap the barrel, and put the stock one back in.

280Z Turbo

Again, I must say, your knowledge of illegal acts is impressive. :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 20, 2014, 10:55:09 PM
Again, I must say, your knowledge of illegal acts is impressive. :lol:

I assure you, its all theoretical.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 20, 2014, 10:42:44 PM

Don't file the serial numbers off. Buy a 9mm Glock. Then, at a gun store, in cash, but a conversion .40 S&W barrel. If anything happens, scrap the barrel, and put the stock one back in.

Woah.  That's actually brilliant.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

Sounds like a bunch of Anarchist's Cookbook stuff from back in the day.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on August 20, 2014, 11:29:10 PM
Sounds like a bunch of Anarchist's Cookbook stuff from back in the day.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

Rupert

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on August 19, 2014, 03:01:32 PM

Definitely a concern. To be truly mitigate these issues it'd have to be completely hidden and have real-time (wireless) cloud storage. 

I've thought about it (like today, after tangling with a bro in a POS lifted truck) but thinking about it utility is pretty low. Accident investigation is pretty solid these days and I predict that at any time any sort of private media will be effectively inadmissible in court owing to the inability to prove integrity courtesy of the picture and video editing software readily available to the public.

Pretty much the need for a dash cam is almost completely mitigated by not being an asshole, avoiding conflict and having good insurance.

GoCougs

If he bought it retail there will be record that it was once a 9MM. If he bought it private property there will still be evidence that it was recently fired and that he had recently fired a weapon.

Just destroy or hide it forever. Cheap insurance. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on August 21, 2014, 12:28:13 AM
If he bought it retail there will be record that it was once a 9MM. If he bought it private property there will still be evidence that it was recently fired and that he had recently fired a weapon.

Just destroy or hide it forever. Cheap insurance. 

Yes, you'll have records that you are a legal owner of a 9mm handgun. You can inspect it at your leisure; so there is no way you could have shot him with a .40.

(You just scrap the .40 barrel, and have no reason to explain why your gun is missing)

Gotta-Qik-C7

:clap:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2014, 12:54:05 AM
Yes, you'll have records that you are a legal owner of a 9mm handgun. You can inspect it at your leisure; so there is no way you could have shot him with a .40.

(You just scrap the .40 barrel, and have no reason to explain why your gun is missing)

Nailed it.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on August 21, 2014, 12:23:34 AM
Definitely a concern. To be truly mitigate these issues it'd have to be completely hidden and have real-time (wireless) cloud storage. 

I've thought about it (like today, after tangling with a bro in a POS lifted truck) but thinking about it utility is pretty low. Accident investigation is pretty solid these days and I predict that at any time any sort of private media will be effectively inadmissible in court owing to the inability to prove integrity courtesy of the picture and video editing software readily available to the public.

Pretty much the need for a dash cam is almost completely mitigated by not being an asshole, avoiding conflict and having good insurance.

Seriously what do you do to piss off other drivers on a monthly basis

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 24, 2014, 10:35:04 AM

Monthly basis seems quite a good record to me. I don't think I can go a full month before pissing someone off.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 24, 2014, 10:35:04 AM

Drives "correctly"...
Will