Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on May 19, 2020, 05:29:08 AM
If you can find one, a good new Mini 1st gen S is an absolute hoot.

I thought the 2nd gen S was a total ball, too.

I prefer the stickshift and clutch of my Miata though, by a longshot. I think the Minis are cursed with that BMW clutch delay valve.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Not terribly surprised. People want anything and everything to be "connected" and online.

I mean, people have been putting those State Farm/other car insurance company electronic dongles in their cars for a time now, too.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 19, 2020, 06:00:15 PM
Now your car is spying on you :(...Your car knows secrets about you. Here's how to protect yourself

And people say I'm paranoid for driving old cars and using three different burner phones...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 19, 2020, 06:35:40 PM
And people say I'm paranoid for driving old cars and using three different burner phones...
You got that many secrets?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

One does not have to have secrets to appreciate privacy. Such a fallacy.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 19, 2020, 07:09:47 PM
One does not have to have secrets to appreciate privacy. Such a fallacy.
True, I will try to contain my waggish remarks.

Laconian

Always fun to climb into a rental car that's pre-paired with "Kaylee's IPhone", populated with her address list, and has subject lines for 20 of her last text messages.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 19, 2020, 07:17:15 PM
True, I will try to contain my waggish remarks.

No, no. I knew you were being facetious. I was more just kind of saying that to...the universe.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on May 19, 2020, 07:23:05 PM
Always fun to climb into a rental car that's pre-paired with "Kaylee's IPhone", populated with her address list, and has subject lines for 20 of her last text messages.

:lol:
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 19, 2020, 07:51:49 PM
No, no. I knew you were being facetious. I was more just kind of saying that to...the universe.
Just amusing myself.  I mean no slight to anyone...well, maybe just Trump.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on May 19, 2020, 12:31:10 PM
I thought the 2nd gen S was a total ball, too.

I prefer the stickshift and clutch of my Miata though, by a longshot. I think the Minis are cursed with that BMW clutch delay valve.

Easy enough to remove. I had mine taken out years ago.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 19, 2020, 06:35:40 PM

"I am so completely off the god-damn grid it's not a question of addressing me, it's 'what do these symbols under the dresser mean'."
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on May 19, 2020, 09:31:34 PM
"I am so completely off the god-damn grid it's not a question of addressing me, it's 'what do these symbols under the dresser mean'."

Oh no, you can't go off-grid. That'll getcha red flagged immediately.

cawimmer430

Drove my dad's B-Class today for the first time. He's only got 800 km on it so there was no hard driving until the engine etc. are properly broken in.

It's based on the same platform as my A-Class, but it drives and feels totally different. For one the suspension is very soft and comfortable and the steering feedback is rather light, not vague, but light. Totally comfort-oriented.

The engine is a gem. It's the 1.33-l turbo 4-cylinder with 163-horsepower and it feels eager and torquey. Very smooth (even when cold), very quiet and economical (I managed 5.5 L / 100 km). The Start-Stop system is smoother here than in my A250 with the engine restarting very smooth (my A250 has a little noticeable "jolt" when the engine restarts).

Handling is probably the "weak spot" of this car if you drive fast around hard corners because you can feel the higher center of gravity. Despite this "flaw", the car feels incredibly RELAXING to drive. It's very, very comfortable and quiet and it puts you at ease.

It's basically a car for senior citizens or anyone who wants something comfortable in a compact premium car. My dad is very happy with it, especially because of the good fuel economy he's getting (best result so far was 4.5 L / 100 km (52 mpg)).

Interior layout and operation is 99.9% similar to my A-Class, though his MBUX system is more advanced and I am jealous that he's got another digital tachometer option called "Progressive" (Which my car does not have). Also, I love the interior cockpit lighting and the various different color and multi-color options you can select. I kinda regret not having ticked that option for my car, but then again I probably would get bored of it quickly and never use it much anyway.

Once again, same platform as my A-Class (and the new CLA, GLA and GLB), but feels and drives like a completely different car. It's a relaxing car to drive, not really fun like my car, but very relaxing. It's like a comfortable sofa you sit yourself on, sink in, and never want to leave.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on May 19, 2020, 07:23:05 PM

More fun to leave in the system a pairing with some creative name..
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on May 20, 2020, 10:59:35 AM
More fun to leave in the system a pairing with some creative name..

My phone name looks like something Cthulu would say. I like testing headunits' ability to render extended Unicode.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 20, 2020, 11:21:51 AM
My phone name looks like something Cthulu would say. I like testing headunits' ability to render extended Unicode.

Wouldn't that be just a series of four number codes beginning with 00?

Laconian

Usually the failure mode is displaying boxes, which means UTF-8 was decoded but the font lacks a glyph for the character.

But sometimes you get a lazy developer who assumes US-ASCII. Then it's just a bunch of garbage, since the UTF-8 multibyte sequences aren't meant to be printable one by one.

veeman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 20, 2020, 10:11:23 AM
Drove my dad's B-Class today for the first time. He's only got 800 km on it so there was no hard driving until the engine etc. are properly broken in.

It's based on the same platform as my A-Class, but it drives and feels totally different. For one the suspension is very soft and comfortable and the steering feedback is rather light, not vague, but light. Totally comfort-oriented.

The engine is a gem. It's the 1.33-l turbo 4-cylinder with 163-horsepower and it feels eager and torquey. Very smooth (even when cold), very quiet and economical (I managed 5.5 L / 100 km). The Start-Stop system is smoother here than in my A250 with the engine restarting very smooth (my A250 has a little noticeable "jolt" when the engine restarts).

Handling is probably the "weak spot" of this car if you drive fast around hard corners because you can feel the higher center of gravity. Despite this "flaw", the car feels incredibly RELAXING to drive. It's very, very comfortable and quiet and it puts you at ease.

It's basically a car for senior citizens or anyone who wants something comfortable in a compact premium car. My dad is very happy with it, especially because of the good fuel economy he's getting (best result so far was 4.5 L / 100 km (52 mpg)).

Interior layout and operation is 99.9% similar to my A-Class, though his MBUX system is more advanced and I am jealous that he's got another digital tachometer option called "Progressive" (Which my car does not have). Also, I love the interior cockpit lighting and the various different color and multi-color options you can select. I kinda regret not having ticked that option for my car, but then again I probably would get bored of it quickly and never use it much anyway.

Once again, same platform as my A-Class (and the new CLA, GLA and GLB), but feels and drives like a completely different car. It's a relaxing car to drive, not really fun like my car, but very relaxing. It's like a comfortable sofa you sit yourself on, sink in, and never want to leave.  :ohyeah:

I'm glad your father and you are happy with the purchase and it looks like the car suits your father very well.  These types of cars are a hard sell in the U.S. because they're more expensive than mainstream brand alternatives.  There's no mainstream brand alternative for a Mercedes E class but there are a lot for these smaller FWD architecture cars/hatches. 

My Dad would love driving your Dad's new car.  It's soft and roomy but with a small footprint making it easy to maneuver and drive.   

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on May 20, 2020, 12:03:56 PM
I'm glad your father and you are happy with the purchase and it looks like the car suits your father very well.  These types of cars are a hard sell in the U.S. because they're more expensive than mainstream brand alternatives.  There's no mainstream brand alternative for a Mercedes E class but there are a lot for these smaller FWD architecture cars/hatches. 

My Dad would love driving your Dad's new car.  It's soft and roomy but with a small footprint making it easy to maneuver and drive.   

I find it hilarious that BMW & Mercedes are so "upscale" here but run of the mill there. Not that ALL of the German cars are run of the mill- but they sell cheaper versions there that wouldn't sell here.
Will

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 20, 2020, 12:53:29 PM
I find it hilarious that BMW & Mercedes are so "upscale" here but run of the mill there. Not that ALL of the German cars are run of the mill- but they sell cheaper versions there that wouldn't sell here.

Same reason Toyota, Nissan, and Honda had to create new brands to sell their more premium models in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Yeah but even the cheap versions of Mercedes, Audi, and BMW they sell in Europe are more expensive than equivalently sized FWD architecture mainstreamer brand cars/hatches.  I'm sure they're better to drive and sit in than the mainstreamer brands but mainstreamer brands have really upped their game in the US in the last two decades. 

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 19, 2020, 06:27:24 PM
Not terribly surprised. People want anything and everything to be "connected" and online.

I mean, people have been putting those State Farm/other car insurance company electronic dongles in their cars for a time now, too.

State Farm.has never offered me one of those trackers, but if they did, I would refuse it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 20, 2020, 12:53:29 PM

I have to agree with Veeman, BMW and MB are still premium brands. Even the "base" models from BMW and MB and Audi are more expensive than the Ford, VW, Opel, and other brands.

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on May 20, 2020, 02:58:26 PM
State Farm.has never offered me one of those trackers, but if they did, I would refuse it.

They promote them during football games etc.

2o6

"Insurance startup", Root Insurance is based here in Columbus OH, and they create your premium based upon you using that device for 30 days.

I've also heard that premiums with that company skyrocket after one year, too.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: veeman on May 20, 2020, 01:23:16 PM
Yeah but even the cheap versions of Mercedes, Audi, and BMW they sell in Europe are more expensive than equivalently sized FWD architecture mainstreamer brand cars/hatches.  I'm sure they're better to drive and sit in than the mainstreamer brands but mainstreamer brands have really upped their game in the US in the last two decades. 

Here they are.

In Germany they are taxis and police cars.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 20, 2020, 09:37:11 PM
Here they are.

In Germany they are taxis and police cars.

...and executive cars, and supercars...