Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on August 17, 2020, 10:16:19 PM
I'd go with a Giulia if I got a sport sedan. The stories I've read about it say it's as dialed in and engaging as a Miata - but much more comfortable, and hell of a lot faster. :rockon:

I've never driven one myself, but based on all the reviews it would certainly be at the top of the list of cars to test drive (if I was OK with an automatic).

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 18, 2020, 05:44:06 AM
So I've been thinking, infotainment systems age like dogs. So you may buy a perfectly nice three-year-old off-lease CPO vehicle; the car itself is fine but, in terms of development, usability & relevance, its infotainment system is now like an old 2G cell phone.  Base models are more desirable: they don't put up the barriers that frustrate buyers' access to their smartphones.

I think Apple CarPlay and Android Auto were hoping to resolve this conundrum.

For myself I mainly do rely on CarPlay for my in-car entertainment, but of course for car specific things (driver settings, for example) I have to use the cars system.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 18, 2020, 06:03:35 AM
I think Apple CarPlay and Android Auto were hoping to resolve this conundrum.

For myself I mainly do rely on CarPlay for my in-car entertainment, but of course for car specific things (driver settings, for example) I have to use the cars system.

And what happens when the latest version of Carplay or AA are no longer compatible with the hardware in your 5-6 year old car?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I'd go with a Giulia if I got a sport sedan. The stories I've read about it say it's as dialed in and engaging as a Miata - but much more comfortable, and hell of a lot faster. :rockon:

It is all that and more
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

I'd go with a Fiesta 1.0 eekobewst for a sports sedan. The stories I've read about it say it's basically a hum drum Fiesta with a stupid little turbo engine that is still slower than a stock NB Miata after tuning and bolt on parts.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 17, 2020, 07:28:51 PM
They are great looking cars and initially got good reviews.  The XF is a different class than the XE and, with the optional V6, would be a bomb to drive.  Jaguar is defined by elegance, and the XF would be a fitting car for you.  Of course, there are many other options including a couple from Alfa Romeo.

Thanks.  I may try a test drive to compare with the new Audisa.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

NomisR

Seriously, i almost got one.  When I test drove it, i definitely wanted one.. the only thing that really stopped me was the reliability issue and the traffic.  But now that there's no traffic and I don't really need to go into work every day, I'm thinking about getting one once the Bolt's lease expires.  As much as I love the instant torque, the roaring engine sound is just as good.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 18, 2020, 05:44:06 AM
So I've been thinking, infotainment systems age like dogs. So you may buy a perfectly nice three-year-old off-lease CPO vehicle; the car itself is fine but, in terms of development, usability & relevance, its infotainment system is now like an old 2G cell phone.  Base models are more desirable: they don't put up the barriers that frustrate buyers' access to their smartphones.

All I want is a basic headunit with bluetooth and aux input. And a good place for a magnetic phone mount if I need to pull up a map.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on August 18, 2020, 09:56:10 AM
Seriously, i almost got one.  When I test drove it, i definitely wanted one.. the only thing that really stopped me was the reliability issue and the traffic.  But now that there's no traffic and I don't really need to go into work every day, I'm thinking about getting one once the Bolt's lease expires.  As much as I love the instant torque, the roaring engine sound is just as good.

Reliability is surprisingly good especially after the first model year
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on August 18, 2020, 06:42:56 AM
And what happens when the latest version of Carplay or AA are no longer compatible with the hardware in your 5-6 year old car?

That would be pretty bad if the hardware is out of date that quickly. My car is 4 years old now and it still works just fine with CarPlay, I suspect it will be fine for 2 more years (and probably longer).

NomisR

Quote from: r0tor on August 18, 2020, 11:42:57 AM
Reliability is surprisingly good especially after the first model year

Great.. now i'm looking at it for possibly 2021.. Guilia Ti Sport.. what the hell is a Carbon model?

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on August 18, 2020, 12:34:31 PM
Great.. now i'm looking at it for possibly 2021.. Guilia Ti Sport.. what the hell is a Carbon model?

If your kid scratches a panel with his bike, the whole bodywork explodes into sharp fragments.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: NomisR on August 18, 2020, 12:34:31 PM

Just a Ti Sport with nicer mirrors, side skirts, and trim...

Make sure you get the performance package... That what really counts - lsd and adjustable suspension

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on August 18, 2020, 06:02:24 PM
Just a Ti Sport with nicer mirrors, side skirts, and trim...

Make sure you get the performance package... That what really counts - lsd and adjustable suspension

With enough LSD, everything is adjustable, baby.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on August 18, 2020, 07:19:31 PM
With enough LSD, everything is adjustable, baby.

I want to hear your opinion about the Jag.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 18, 2020, 12:28:36 PM
That would be pretty bad if the hardware is out of date that quickly. My car is 4 years old now and it still works just fine with CarPlay, I suspect it will be fine for 2 more years (and probably longer).

That assumes that the hardware in the 5-6 year old car was the latest and greatest 5-6 years ago.  A 5-6 year old car may have hardware that is actually 9-10 years old, if you bought a model year that was later in the design cycle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on August 18, 2020, 06:42:56 AM

Yea... Like Android auto is now capable of filling up a widescreen format like car play - but unlike car play it needs hardware that is programmed to do it and OEMs largely don't care enough to update preexisting infotainment systems.

Morris Minor

Car and Driver is so thin it's now useless as shiterature. You can read cover-to-cover in less time than it takes a turd to drop from arse to water.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 19, 2020, 09:22:53 AM
Car and Driver is so thin it's now useless as shiterature. You can read cover-to-cover in less time than it takes a turd to drop from arse to water.

And it's probably 50% ads, as it always was.

With the direction the market is going, maybe they should rebrand as "SUV and Autopilot".  They can have a 1-2 page monthly column called "Car and Driver" where they can cover any news pertaining to car-shaped vehicles that require human intervention to navigate roadways.
Needs more Jiggawatts

r0tor

C&D was improving.... But pretty much the entire automotive industry is on hold so what's left to even report on?

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on August 19, 2020, 11:02:29 AM
C&D was improving.... But pretty much the entire automotive industry is on hold so what's left to even report on?

Also true.  Car shows canceled, press drive events curtailed, many motorsports have been put on hold...
Needs more Jiggawatts

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on August 19, 2020, 11:02:29 AM

Boner pills and Weathertech's Amerigasms.

RomanChariot

My brother is a used car salesman in a small town in Nebraska. He recently picked up a one owner, garage kept 1992 Lexus LS400 with 20,000 original miles. The owner was moving and was planning to take the car with him so he had just had new tires put on it and had it inspected and serviced. My brother convinced him to sell it rather than move it.

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on August 18, 2020, 07:28:28 PM
I want to hear your opinion about the Jag.

I like them.  The XE seems beneath your financial station, but I think it looks fantastic.  I think they used to come with a manual but don't anymore, but I don't think that'll affect you either way.  Modern 4s have come a long way and are much smoother than they used to be with a lot more power, but at your age, I would think the smoothness of at least a 6 cylinder would be more your preference.  The XF is another great looking car and the Sportbrake (British for wagon) is achingly gorgeous.  It's probably not as good a car as the Audi A6, but it's certainly just as stylish.  In its class, I'd only buy it or the A6. 

I generally like Jags, have for a long time.  I mean, the F-Type V6S manual is one of my top choices to replace my Z4. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Bleh, I drove an F Type V6S on the track... Sounded good but that was about it as far as positives.   It was rather boring and uninspiring to drive and the cockpit felt tight (which seems like a jaguar trend in all of their cars).

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2020, 11:57:27 AM
I like them.  The XE seems beneath your financial station, but I think it looks fantastic.  I think they used to come with a manual but don't anymore, but I don't think that'll affect you either way.  Modern 4s have come a long way and are much smoother than they used to be with a lot more power, but at your age, I would think the smoothness of at least a 6 cylinder would be more your preference.  The XF is another great looking car and the Sportbrake (British for wagon) is achingly gorgeous.  It's probably not as good a car as the Audi A6, but it's certainly just as stylish.  In its class, I'd only buy it or the A6. 

I generally like Jags, have for a long time.  I mean, the F-Type V6S manual is one of my top choices to replace my Z4.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  So you wouldn't consider the BMW 5-series?  Aside from the Jag, Audi and Alfa Romeo, what else should I be looking at?  I haven't been keeping up with things the way I used to.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

r0tor

Quote from: dazzleman on August 19, 2020, 05:11:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  So you wouldn't consider the BMW 5-series?  Aside from the Jag, Audi and Alfa Romeo, what else should I be looking at?  I haven't been keeping up with things the way I used to.

What are you really looking for?

Audi is the best all around
Alfa easily the sports car off sedan
BMW is now luxury and tech
Merc is more of a softer sophisticated muscle car
Jag... A worse Merc

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on August 19, 2020, 05:11:05 PM

I mean, back in the before times, I used to see dozens of luxury cars everyday, but the 5 series became increasingly rare after the E60.  To be honest, I can't even picture the current 5 series in my mind right now.  I think that's a bad sign--I know more and more people are getting SUVs instead of midsize sedans, but of the midsizers, I do see A6s more than E classes or 5ers. 

The E class is kind of dumpy looking.  I feel like they've been playing it too safe since they dumped the quad headlight design.

My mom just recently got an A6 3.0 and it's everything you want in a luxury sedan.  It's plenty quick, it's comfortable, it's easy to get in and out of, the styling is conservative but not boring, and it's not too big for its size class.  I've driven it a couple of times and it's really quite nice. 

The XF is still really nice, but I think my dollars would go to the A6 or the Alfa first.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2020, 05:35:33 PM
I mean, back in the before times, I used to see dozens of luxury cars everyday, but the 5 series became increasingly rare after the E60.  To be honest, I can't even picture the current 5 series in my mind right now.  I think that's a bad sign--I know more and more people are getting SUVs instead of midsize sedans, but of the midsizers, I do see A6s more than E classes or 5ers. 

There's a reason you can't recall seeing the current 5er. BMW's playing it too safe.