Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2020, 05:41:20 PM
There's a reason you can't recall seeing the current 5er. BMW's playing it too safe.

Seems to be going around.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

You can say that again!

Eye of the Tiger

The Lexus GS F is pretty nifty. Put a couple of Flowmasters on it, and it'll rip.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Isn't the Alfa much smaller than the others?

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2020, 05:41:20 PM
There's a reason you can't recall seeing the current 5er. BMW's playing it too safe.
A couple of people here have 540is with the M goodies but the BMWs are overwhelmingly X3s & X5s. My neighbor is a big Audi fan: beautiful A7 & a Q7. They're really nice.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

SJ_GTI

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2020, 05:35:33 PM
I mean, back in the before times, I used to see dozens of luxury cars everyday, but the 5 series became increasingly rare after the E60.  To be honest, I can't even picture the current 5 series in my mind right now.  I think that's a bad sign--I know more and more people are getting SUVs instead of midsize sedans, but of the midsizers, I do see A6s more than E classes or 5ers. 

The E class is kind of dumpy looking.  I feel like they've been playing it too safe since they dumped the quad headlight design.

My mom just recently got an A6 3.0 and it's everything you want in a luxury sedan.  It's plenty quick, it's comfortable, it's easy to get in and out of, the styling is conservative but not boring, and it's not too big for its size class.  I've driven it a couple of times and it's really quite nice. 

The XF is still really nice, but I think my dollars would go to the A6 or the Alfa first.

I've never been a particular fan of Mercedes.  They always seemed a bit geriatric to me.

As a bigger question - Do you think I should consider an SUV rather than a mid-sized sedan?  I really haven't been a big SUV fan and I don't really need one.  I think a well engineered sedan would be more fun to drive.  What do you think?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Morris Minor

Quote from: dazzleman on August 20, 2020, 08:53:25 AM
I've never been a particular fan of Mercedes.  They always seemed a bit geriatric to me.

As a bigger question - Do you think I should consider an SUV rather than a mid-sized sedan?  I really haven't been a big SUV fan and I don't really need one.  I think a well engineered sedan would be more fun to drive.  What do you think?
If you enjoy the dynamics of driving, and you don't need the space or the ground clearance, and you're physically fit enough to get into and out of the car with its lower hip height... I'd go for the sedan.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Dave, what do you need a sedan for?  You're retiring.  Get a 911
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Being on the verge of retiring, you may get into some hobbies that would involve transporting materials, etc. whereby a stylish and well appointed mid-size SUV would be handy.

A possible option...

Guaranteed, fun to drive.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Spotted today.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Honestly, there's no reason not to look at them.  You have a dog, you're getting older.  I don't know if you have any particular ailments or issues, but some of these more car-like SUVs (like the Q5/X3) are really easy to get into and out of and are relatively fine to drive.  They won't be as fun as a lower, lighter sedan with a sportier suspension, but they may fit your life better.  I mean, where I am in my personal car journey, if given the choice between an automatic sedan and an automatic SUV that are comparable, I would personally choose the SUV because I feel like I'm already taking a big hit in my driving enjoyment by driving a big, closed roof car without a manual, I might as well maximize comfort and utility.  But that's just how I look at it. 

I had to practically fight with my mom to get her to look at SUVs and ultimately she decided against getting one, but there was no reason for it to be a big just for her to get into one and check it out.  Many of the best looking cars on the road these days are SUVs.  Maybe that means I'm getting older, but something like the Jaguar F-Pace appeals to me a lot more than most midsize sedans not because it's sexier or more fun than something like a Giulia, but rather that I'm already taking a big enjoyment in going from a manual sports car to an automatic sedan, I would rather have something that can fit my friends and family comfortably and the further loss of fun is marginal.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 20, 2020, 10:39:51 AM
Spotted today.  :praise:

Is that a DeTomaso Pantera, a BMW Z1, and a pagoda SL?  Damn, is Grand Tour filming near you?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

shp4man

Dave, how tall are you? Under 5'10"?  If so, you know what "is always the answer".

I actually look forward to my commute because of that car.  :ohyeah:

Laconian

How about the Jaguar i-Pace? If you want comfort and speed, then high end EVs are most certainly where it's at.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on August 20, 2020, 11:20:12 AM
Dave, how tall are you? Under 5'10"?  If so, you know what "is always the answer".

Get the Fiat one : :lol:

Laconian

C8 Vette. Midengine supercar. Live a little.

dazzleman

Quote from: shp4man on August 20, 2020, 11:20:12 AM

I'm not under 5'10".
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2020, 11:20:49 AM
How about the Jaguar i-Pace? If you want comfort and speed, then high end EVs are most certainly where it's at.

I'm not willing to get an all electric car yet.  The infrastructure isn't there yet and there are too many potential issues with having that as my only car.

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza  on August 20, 2020, 11:07:51 AM
Honestly, there's no reason not to look at them.  You have a dog, you're getting older.  I don't know if you have any particular ailments or issues, but some of these more car-like SUVs (like the Q5/X3) are really easy to get into and out of and are relatively fine to drive.  They won't be as fun as a lower, lighter sedan with a sportier suspension, but they may fit your life better.  I mean, where I am in my personal car journey, if given the choice between an automatic sedan and an automatic SUV that are comparable, I would personally choose the SUV because I feel like I'm already taking a big hit in my driving enjoyment by driving a big, closed roof car without a manual, I might as well maximize comfort and utility.  But that's just how I look at it. 

I had to practically fight with my mom to get her to look at SUVs and ultimately she decided against getting one, but there was no reason for it to be a big just for her to get into one and check it out.  Many of the best looking cars on the road these days are SUVs.  Maybe that means I'm getting older, but something like the Jaguar F-Pace appeals to me a lot more than most midsize sedans not because it's sexier or more fun than something like a Giulia, but rather that I'm already taking a big enjoyment in going from a manual sports car to an automatic sedan, I would rather have something that can fit my friends and family comfortably and the further loss of fun is marginal.

I don't have any ailments or issues.  I want something that is fun to drive.

shp4man

Well then go the safe route and buy some fully loaded Lexus luxo-boat.  Or a Raptor truck. Your choice.    :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on August 20, 2020, 11:59:56 AM
I don't have any ailments or issues.  I want something that is fun to drive.

Ford F-350 King Ranch diesel dually  :devil:

Laconian

With the dealer-installed QAnon sticker package.

FoMoJo

Seems the ideal choice to liven up a vintage Ford Country Squire and Mercury Marquis wagon10 Reasons You're Better Off With a Big-Block Ford

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 20, 2020, 12:50:32 PM
Seems the ideal choice to liven up a vintage Ford Country Squire and Mercury Marquis wagon10 Reasons You're Better Off With a Big-Block Ford

I feel this is aimed at me.

I'm staying small block with the wagon; and the only real question is 302 or 351. I don't need 900 HP. Hell, I even find it hard to make a logical case for any more than the 180 it has now.

But what I really want is a motor that looks like it could have come out of a later Fox Body Mustang Cobra and puts out somewhere between 300-350 Hp, and still gets decent mileage.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 20, 2020, 12:56:47 PM
I feel this is aimed at me.

I'm staying small block with the wagon; and the only real question is 302 or 351. I don't need 900 HP. Hell, I even find it hard to make a logical case for any more than the 180 it has now.

But what I really want is a motor that looks like it could have come out of a later Fox Body Mustang Cobra and puts out somewhere between 300-350 Hp, and still gets decent mileage.
Yes, I was thinking of you when I read the article.

I love the small block Ford, especially the 289 HiPo.  302s are great as well and easily capable of 300 plus bhp.  A 351 Cleveland would be ideal, but it seems they're rather scarce.  A 429 would be overkill, but a mild version would provide effortless cruising.

What made the 289 such a great race motor was the excessive over square bore/stroke 4:00/2.87.  Great revving engine but not a lot of low end torque.  302s may be a bit better but still over square.  351 Windsor was a good truck engine.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 20, 2020, 01:17:40 PM
Yes, I was thinking of you when I read the article.

I love the small block Ford, especially the 289 HiPo.  302s are great as well and easily capable of 300 plus bhp.  A 351 Cleveland would be ideal, but it seems they're rather scarce.  A 429 would be overkill, but a mild version would provide effortless cruising.

What made the 289 such a great race motor was the excessive over square bore/stroke 4:00/2.87.  Great revving engine but not a lot of low end torque.  302s may be a bit better but still over square.  351 Windsor was a good truck engine.

I mean, if I wanted a hot rod, I'd start with something else- like a Cadillac.

Anyways, what I want from the wagon is a good highway cruiser with some oomph, and not a straight tire-shredder.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Isn't that wagon a family truckster from the 90s? If you were in CA, you'd have to keep the original motor.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on August 20, 2020, 01:44:50 PM
Isn't that wagon a family truckster from the 90s? If you were in CA, you'd have to keep the original motor.

It is, I'm not (and it isn't).