Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 18, 2022, 08:43:13 AM
A fake Ferrari with no engine.  I don't get it.

It's a historic movie prop.  It's pretty simple.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 18, 2022, 08:43:13 AM
A fake Ferrari with no engine.  I don't get it.

It's a fun movie, fun piece of memorabilia. I wouldn't pay over $10k for it though- IF I had some place to display it. Like a garage with a glass wall overlooking a forest.... :thumbsup:
Will

giant_mtb

Wow are modern cars getting more and more annoying. Detailing a '22 Traverse today...went to pull it into the garage. Gearshift won't budge out of park...look down at the screen in the gauge cluster..."Buckle Seatbelt to Shift."

Wanna move your car 12 feet? Too bad, bitch, you better buckle up for that!

r0tor

Eh, my father's grand Cherokee won't shift out of park unless all the doors are closed - including the back hatch because god knows there is never the occasion when you might want to use a utility vehicle for utility type things.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Yeah, a lot of newer vehicles have all sorts of safety features like that built in.

"Excuse me sir, did you just open the door while in Drive to check where your tire's at? Let me just slam on the electric parking brake and stop you there."

giant_mtb

Shit, I tried pulling the ABS fuse on the New Taco (ABS in the winter is annoying as fuck, and also off road) and the gauge cluster and infotainment screens lit up like a Christmas tree.

Gone are the days when you could pull a fuse and just put a little piece of electrical tape over the ABS light to keep it out of your eyes.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 20, 2022, 04:49:39 PM
Yeah, a lot of newer vehicles have all sorts of safety features like that built in.

"Excuse me sir, did you just open the door while in Drive to check where your tire's at? Let me just slam on the electric parking brake and stop you there."
My wife has the annoying habit of opening the door before the car has come to a complete stop.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 20, 2022, 06:06:43 PM
My wife has the annoying habit of opening the door before the car has come to a complete stop.

:lol:

I had to work on training mine to not throw it into gear before I had both feet inside....   :mask: 
Will

cawimmer430

Totally enjoying my 1974 Dodge Monaco in Liberty City (GTA IV).  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

This thing is actually pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/3CWCqJl0BEs

Morris Minor

I just got back from a 2,200-mile road trip in the CX-5: Atlanta to Austin TX & back. Its torque and power are great for charging up hills and passing slowpokes on the interstates, but...

... it lacks interior the interior storage room & cubby holes you see on more recent designs. Also its compact wheelbase and firm suspension are not ideal for loping along on anything other than smooth roads. Another minus is the small seat size & their short squabs.
The G37 would have been a better bet, but we took the Mazda because we needed the space for possessions we were taking to our daughter.

There are not too many near-luxury roomy sedans on the market now that the Avalon is gone. On the freeways silence, comfort & elbow room take center stage. Also, when you are traveling at speed their low frontal area gives them a good fuel economy advantage.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

The Ioniq6 looks like the champion of latter day near-luxury wafters.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 30, 2022, 03:44:16 PM
I just got back from a 2,200-mile road trip in the CX-5: Atlanta to Austin TX & back. Its torque and power are great for charging up hills and passing slowpokes on the interstates, but...

... it lacks interior the interior storage room & cubby holes you see on more recent designs. Also its compact wheelbase and firm suspension are not ideal for loping along on anything other than smooth roads. Another minus is the small seat size & their short squabs.
The G37 would have been a better bet, but we took the Mazda because we needed the space for possessions we were taking to our daughter.

There are not too many near-luxury roomy sedans on the market now that the Avalon is gone. On the freeways silence, comfort & elbow room take center stage. Also, when you are traveling at speed their low frontal area gives them a good fuel economy advantage.

A new Prius is calling your name
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Wagons weren't "cool" enough so we get "too-tall-wagons" = SUVs.
Will

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 30, 2022, 03:44:16 PM

V6 Chrysler 300.  This is the last year for them. 

Morris Minor

Chrysler 300 would be a good one: reasonably priced, generously sized, bugs ironed out long ago.
It was reinforced to me this morning when I drove the Infiniti to the gym - its bigger seats with decent thigh support count for a lot.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

veeman

V6 takes regular gas and highway gas mileage is great (30 mpg).   

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Or dude just get a CPO 530i or E350

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

cawimmer430

Today at the local Benz dealer.. the new SL43, 4-cylinder turbo with 396-hp. Love the yellow color. So far red and yellow are my favorite colors for this car. Gray and black are the worst. Dark blue is so-so. Have not seen it in white and light blue yet.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Not sure it merits its own thread, but has anyone seen the latest BMW concept? Supposedly signals a new direction in BMW design, hopefully away from the runaway upsizing of grills. The paint looks weird because it is also showing some type of e-ink that can change and be customized I think.

I like the overall design. Very concepty so will be more curious to how it looks on a "real car."

cawimmer430

"OMG FWD proportions on a BMW!" - The Internet  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 05, 2023, 12:58:54 PM
"OMG FWD proportions on a BMW!" - The Internet  :thumbsup:

Its more EV proportions.

The prestige gap used to indicative of a RWD platform (with a good size space for an engine behind the front axle). With EV's they don't need much of a front end anymore, so even with a small front overhand you still can have a small prestige gap.

Laconian

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2023, 02:13:46 PM
Prestige gap?!

Is this not common knowledge? Its the gap between the back of the front wheel well and the fron of the front door.

Expensive:

Cheap:

Laconian

I just wasn't aware of that name.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV