Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Laconian on January 05, 2023, 02:40:01 PM
I just wasn't aware of that name.

Who knows, maybe I am crazy and just made it up in my own head.  :lol:

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/andretti-and-cadillac-announce-formula-1-entry-plans-/10417484/

If anyone saw an Andretti Cadillac F1 team coming - please send me the winning mega millions numbers as well
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

normally called dash-to-axle
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on January 05, 2023, 03:33:21 PM
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/andretti-and-cadillac-announce-formula-1-entry-plans-/10417484/

If anyone saw an Andretti Cadillac F1 team coming - please send me the winning mega millions numbers as well
Why not stick with Chevy.  It would relate better to the population.  They already have a relationship with Ilmor, so engines would not be a problem.  Producing a competitive chassis might be a problem though, unless they partner with an existing team.  Anyways, F1 needs a US team, or two (Ford has also been mentioned) seeing that the interest in F1 is growing in the US.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 05, 2023, 02:23:19 PM
Is this not common knowledge? Its the gap between the back of the front wheel well and the fron of the front door.
Can also refer to the upper thigh air gap of ladies who lay off cookies cake & pies.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 05, 2023, 12:55:16 PM
Not sure it merits its own thread, but has anyone seen the latest BMW concept? Supposedly signals a new direction in BMW design, hopefully away from the runaway upsizing of grills. The paint looks weird because it is also showing some type of e-ink that can change and be customized I think.

I like the overall design. Very concepty so will be more curious to how it looks on a "real car."
Echoes of the Iso Grifo. Hope it pulls BMW out of its dire styling nadir.

cawimmer430

So appaerently there are only 5 still existing (registered) 1976–1978 Mitsubishi Galants in Germany. My parents owned one of these back in the day (IIRC they had the base 1.6-l engine) until the mid-1980s - it was white and I remember thinking as a kid how its design was pretty cool-looking. Looking back at the design - it looks good for a 1970s car.  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Will

Rich

It actually looks good, which shocks me. 

The rest is questionable, I'm sure, but at least they got one thing right. 

giant_mtb

Detailing the interior on a BRZ...wah, tiny ass sports coupes are some of the toughest interiors to work on. Everything is so tight.  And I thought a Challenger or Mustang was a challenge...fuckin a, BRZ wins. The rear seats are hilarious. I assume they're there basically just for classification/insurance type purposes.

MrH

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 13, 2023, 01:09:02 PM
Detailing the interior on a BRZ...wah, tiny ass sports coupes are some of the toughest interiors to work on. Everything is so tight.  And I thought a Challenger or Mustang was a challenge...fuckin a, BRZ wins. The rear seats are hilarious. I assume they're there basically just for classification/insurance type purposes.

It's just a storage shelf mostly.

No joke, I had a midget do the window tinting for my 1st gen BRZ :lol:  He said it was one of the hardest cars he's ever done.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on January 13, 2023, 01:14:27 PM
It's just a storage shelf mostly.

No joke, I had a midget do the window tinting for my 1st gen BRZ :lol:  He said it was one of the hardest cars he's ever done.

I believe it. This one's a first-gen, too, manuf. August 2013...sorta forgot how long these things have been around.  Has about 72k miles, so it's at least not a garage queen. Friend of mine just bought it this past summer...he's got Blizzaks on it for winter. He said "if it's not a snow storm, I'm driving that thing, my Tacoma is for everything else."

giant_mtb

Also, popped the hood on it out of curiosity...goddamn I nearly ripped the hood of the hinges it's so light. Must be Al You Miniyum.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 13, 2023, 01:28:36 PM
I believe it. This one's a first-gen, too, manuf. August 2013...sorta forgot how long these things have been around.  Has about 72k miles, so it's at least not a garage queen. Friend of mine just bought it this past summer...he's got Blizzaks on it for winter. He said "if it's not a snow storm, I'm driving that thing, my Tacoma is for everything else."

noice

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 13, 2023, 01:41:47 PM
Also, popped the hood on it out of curiosity...goddamn I nearly ripped the hood of the hinges it's so light. Must be Al You Miniyum.

Yup, easy way to save some weight.
Will

CaminoRacer

I assume the BRZs are similar to ND Miata's - only steel for the unibody and doors. Bumpers are plastic, while the hood, front fenders, and trunk are aluminum. Suspension has a lot of aluminum.

Nice for rust prevention.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

I looked up DirtFish rally school pricing. The 3 day program is $5k. :mask: Maybe I'll save up for the 1 day program. $2k for that.

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 13, 2023, 08:02:47 PM
I assume the BRZs are similar to ND Miata's - only steel for the unibody and doors. Bumpers are plastic, while the hood, front fenders, and trunk are aluminum. Suspension has a lot of aluminum.

Nice for rust prevention.

First gen was only an aluminum hood.  2nd gen is aluminum hood, roof, and front fenders.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2023, 02:03:04 PM
I looked up DirtFish rally school pricing. The 3 day program is $5k. :mask: Maybe I'll save up for the 1 day program. $2k for that.

Haha I live there! Can Hear the cars sometimes echo throughout the valley if the atmo conditions are right.

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2023, 02:03:04 PM

I've considered it too.  $5k is a lot, but for 3 days, that's a lot of beating on a car.  And I like that you can do it in a BRZ too and not just an AWD subaru.

Likely not in the cards for this year for me.  Too many home improvement things eating up cash.  Might it'll be a treat to myself after bonus pay out next year.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on January 16, 2023, 07:55:20 AM
I've considered it too.  $5k is a lot, but for 3 days, that's a lot of beating on a car.  And I like that you can do it in a BRZ too and not just an AWD subaru.

Likely not in the cards for this year for me.  Too many home improvement things eating up cash.  Might it'll be a treat to myself after bonus pay out next year.

The 3 day program definitely looks like the best, since you get to do some of the full tracks they have. I'd also do the BRZ since my cars are RWD.

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2023, 08:16:15 AM
The 3 day program definitely looks like the best, since you get to do some of the full tracks they have. I'd also do the BRZ since my cars are RWD.

Seems like the best way to learn car control and translate well to non-gravel too.  Skid pad work on gravel in a BRZ is probably a lot easier than wet skid pad in a GT3 :lol:  That was tough.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on January 15, 2023, 06:17:26 PM
Haha I live there! Can Hear the cars sometimes echo throughout the valley if the atmo conditions are right.
There's an F1-style track exactly 5½ miles away as the crow flies. When they have a big meet, you can hear them from here.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 16, 2023, 10:35:42 AM
There's an F1-style track exactly 5½ miles away as the crow flies. When they have a big meet, you can hear them from here.

The community raised a bit of a stink about it after it first opened up. AFAIK, not much happened and they're still at it. I actually can't hear it at my house, but can if I'm on the right trail. TBH, it doesn't look like much, but that's maybe I grew up here, and used to raise hell on the property (an abandoned lumber mill) as a ute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Yz4jQYiog

Laconian

About six years ago my friend (and now the husband of my cousin) did Dirtfish as a farewell before he became a father. He said it was a dream come true. The Dirtfish sticker on his WRX is a sad reminder of his long-lost adult life.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

RomanChariot

Quote from: GoCougs on January 16, 2023, 10:59:41 AM
The community raised a bit of a stink about it after it first opened up. AFAIK, not much happened and they're still at it. I actually can't hear it at my house, but can if I'm on the right trail. TBH, it doesn't look like much, but that's maybe I grew up here, and used to raise hell on the property (an abandoned lumber mill) as a ute.

What's a ute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu8tX2BAD1k

GoCougs

This is a ute.

Not a great rally car but she made do on those roads many moons ago (c. 1989):

Morris Minor

Morris Minor

Nearly got stuck in the G37 today - an uphill hairpin right on an absolutely crazy incline... up inside the clouds on a wet road.
Traction broke on the inside wheel and that was it. I had to back down and take another run on a wider arc on the wrong side of the road. Even then I only just made it.
Fastish RWD car, no option to start in 2nd gear in the auto transmission, & no traction control. A 20 year-old Outback would have shrugged it off. I would not want this car if I lived up there. I'd need a legit 4WD.

Rich

how does a 2010 g37 with auto transmission not have traction control