Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

GoCougs

Hmmm. Yes, I'd check that out - may not be working. Mine had traction control, and it was not shy in the least (and "disabling" it only did so partially - could never fully defeat it since traction and stability control were one and the same). Sadly, the only G37s available with LSD were the Sport models with 6 M/T (not mine).

MrH

S2000 money finally cleared escrow.  The BRZ should be here in the next few weeks.  Excited for that to come in, even though I probably won't be able to drive it much until the spring.  Getting it at invoice too, thanks to VIP pricing because I donate to a nature clean up org :lol:  Killer deal in this market.

I need to test drive a Bolt EUV.  No gas bill + super cruise sounds appealing as a daily.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on January 19, 2023, 08:11:02 AM
I need to test drive a Bolt EUV.  No gas bill + super cruise sounds appealing as a daily.

I'm looking forward to the Equinox EV 2LT FWD. Ultium battery, 150 kw charging, but probably no SuperCruise unless you bump up to a higher trim than that? Maybe if I'm lucky it'll be an option. I like the 2LT since I think that's the lowest trim with the highest range.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 19, 2023, 09:31:30 AM
I'm looking forward to the Equinox EV 2LT FWD. Ultium battery, 150 kw charging, but probably no SuperCruise unless you bump up to a higher trim than that? Maybe if I'm lucky it'll be an option. I like the 2LT since I think that's the lowest trim with the highest range.

We're still 1+ years off from that.  I'm afraid it's going to be pretty expensive when it's all said and done.  Same with the Blazer.  The appeal of the Bolt is that it's available now and dirt cheap.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on January 18, 2023, 07:27:59 PM
Hmmm. Yes, I'd check that out - may not be working. Mine had traction control, and it was not shy in the least (and "disabling" it only did so partially - could never fully defeat it since traction and stability control were one and the same). Sadly, the only G37s available with LSD were the Sport models with 6 M/T (not mine).

Easiest/simplest way to fully disable those systems...just pull the ABS fuse.  Piece of black tape over whatever nanny lights show up on the dash.  Done!

Granted, with newer vehicles...that pretty much doesn't fly.  Tried pulling the ABS fuse on New Taco...no dice.  Just about every light imaginable in the gauges lit up and even the infotainment screen gave me a dirty warning about getting to the dealership ASAP.  Not worth it.  Luckily, if I press/hold the TC button for five seconds, it fully disables TC and whatever stability control things it has so I can at least whip shitties in the snow...but it still has ABS for braking.  Was much easier on the '05 Taco to just do what I said above (not that that truck even had TC/SC, but ABS sucks in the winter and off-roading).

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on January 19, 2023, 11:34:08 AM
We're still 1+ years off from that.  I'm afraid it's going to be pretty expensive when it's all said and done.  Same with the Blazer.  The appeal of the Bolt is that it's available now and dirt cheap.

Yeah, depends on your timeline I guess. I think the Blazer might get pricey but I'm hoping the Equinox is only a bit more than the Bolt

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on January 18, 2023, 07:27:59 PM
I stand corrected & am going to have to RTFM: the stability & traction control defeat buttons illuminate the right lights dash warnings. So I dunno.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Well I read the manual and am none the wiser: the vehicle stability control includes traction control & self-checks on startup. It can be switched off (resets to  default 'on' at next engine restart,) but doing so still leaves the traction control component on. It just brakes the slipping wheel so the diff can divert torque to the other side.

r0tor

Not sure if it's the case with the Infinity, but by old RX8 traction control system would basically disable traction control under 10mph, probably to avoid bogging down in snow
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

This is interesting...GM Spending $854 Million to Build New Small-Block V-8

I wonder if it will be a push-rod.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

I'm curious what the difference will be over the Gen V LT's. Maybe adding dual injection to avoid carbon buildup? And some other small general upgrades.

Unless they're gonna go full Skyactiv with the combustion chambers or something.

r0tor

I'd imagine they are repackaging to allow for better hybrid tech stuff
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

They announced $918 million: $854M for the 6th-gen V8 & $64M for electric vehicle component manufacturing at their Defiance & Rochester facilities.

https://www.gm.com/stories/investment-trucks-v8

100% commitment to our green and carbon-free future, where the birds sing, the flowers grow, and GM's dealers dance around their oil change and transmission flush equipment.

AutobahnSHO

Two passenger side tires on van were flat this morning. I went to the "convenience center" (trash, recycling, and yard debris dropoff) last Saturday. Left it at tire shop, we'll see what's up tomorrow.. 😑
Will

Morris Minor

One of the folks here just replaced their 4Runner with a Macan S, in the gorgeous $3,000 chalk color. It's debadged.
Super nice.

Rich

Since when did chalk become gorgeous. Or a color :-p
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

Today, after 10 years of ownership, I realized that the Infiniti's hood is made of aluminium.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 28, 2023, 11:52:16 AM
Today, after 10 years of ownership, I realized that the Infiniti's hood is made of aluminium.

Haha, wow, I had no idea either, and that after 9 years.

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on January 29, 2023, 10:15:22 PM
Haha, wow, I had no idea either, and that after 9 years.
What depressed me was how long it took for the penny to drop when the magnet base of the flashlight failed to attach. "Duuh what's wrong with this thing."
Senility beckons.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 30, 2023, 11:29:31 AM
What depressed me was how long it took for the penny to drop when the magnet base of the flashlight failed to attach. "Duuh what's wrong with this thing."
Senility beckons.

:thumbsup:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Well I was this many years old before I learned aluminum can conduct electricity- it's used as the 12v battery on the hybrid Ford Maverick. Which is causing problems as some of the connectors weren't fully finished right and some trucks have been having issues.....
Will

r0tor

My old power plant used aluminum bus duct on the 500KV  system... A section of it was corroded from road salt to we replaced it, sent it to a recycler, and had a mega summer picnic

WookieOnRitalin

In a bit of somewhat exciting news, I will be picking up a new ride. The Maxima will be moving to antique status shortly thereafter.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

WookieOnRitalin

More to come. In short, 2006 Turbo. Auto. 96k miles. Leather package.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 04, 2023, 09:32:49 PM

DROOOOOOL!!!!

I've kept my eye on those for years! Solid platform with a rare bonus bed... :thumbsup:

You scored one without the bad stuff- the weird grey plastic, and love the turbo option. Looks a little lifted?
Congrats!
Will

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 05, 2023, 07:25:07 AM
DROOOOOOL!!!!

I've kept my eye on those for years! Solid platform with a rare bonus bed... :thumbsup:

You scored one without the bad stuff- the weird grey plastic, and love the turbo option. Looks a little lifted?
Congrats!

Not lifted, BUT in '05 they lifted the Turbo models up to 8.4" of ground clearance. By comparison, the Santa Cruz and AWD Maverick have 8.6" of ground clearance.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 05, 2023, 10:31:52 AM
Not lifted, BUT in '05 they lifted the Turbo models up to 8.4" of ground clearance. By comparison, the Santa Cruz and AWD Maverick have 8.6" of ground clearance.

Interesting. Seems I've seen mostly older ones in person then.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 06, 2022, 04:03:51 PM
I've always struggled with smudged windshields (inside) that never that never get fully clean. At best, one just ends up moving the smudges around. It's a PITA in the PNW where for 6 months of the year it's rainy and dark from ~4 pm to ~8am. Simple, and probably should have thought of it, but here's the hack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p0JxZTFjsM
I finally got some clement weather, & washed the Infiniti yesterday, & got to use the particular squeegee he recommended. Followed instructions, and it works like a treat.

CALL_911

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 04, 2023, 09:32:49 PM

Oh that is fucking awesome

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 05, 2023, 07:25:07 AM
DROOOOOOL!!!!

Congrats!

Got the Baja inspected today and it DOES have a lift kit on it. Not sure how I feel about it, but I do like the additional ride height and stance. It currently has the factor 16" alloys and brand new Milestar MS932 tires.

The report came back fairly positive. Needs a new front axle and the rear struts are shot. Should be around 2k worth of investment, but everything else checks out. I am going to get it washed and I'll take some more pics.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo