Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 03, 2023, 07:22:48 PM
If they don't throttle hydro it can be too much power in the grid, or just wasted power.

They'll throttle down the other producers first for the most part.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2023, 08:43:00 PM
They'll throttle down the other producers first for the most part.

I would hope so!
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 01, 2023, 01:52:45 PM
One of my neighbors just traded in his Q7 for a BMW X7. I can barely show my face around here with my lowly CX-5 & old Obama-era Infiniti.
He opted to pick it up at the BMW performance driving school in South Carolina. They took him out in one of their track vehicles & went through all the braking, stability & skid prevention goodies. Had a blast.

His five-year-old Q7 was quiet - he said the X7 is pretty well silent.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Nice...Ford Explorer Men's Only Edition Celebrates Women In Auto Industry

The Explorer Men's Only Edition isn't what you think, though – it's definitely not a macho or manly special edition. As weird as it may sound, it's the exact opposite – a mid-size SUV celebrating the significant role women have played and will continue to play in the auto industry.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Coming soon: caveman only edition!

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Women's Only Edition, to celebrate men's contribution to inventing the automobile:

Soup DeVille

Okay, so what they did was remove items from the vehicle that women had a role in developing. Kinda weird; because they included GPS as a woman's invention. And I'm sure there were many women who helped develop it into what it is today, but like all complex systems, it was developed over an extended time and took the cooperation of thousands.

A good attempt maybe, but in the end a mixed message.

And really it ends up highlighting that there's still most of a vehicle there...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 08, 2023, 03:41:50 PM
Okay, so what they did was remove items from the vehicle that women had a role in developing. Kinda weird; because they included GPS as a woman's invention. And I'm sure there were many women who helped develop it into what it is today, but like all complex systems, it was developed over an extended time and took the cooperation of thousands.

A good attempt maybe, but in the end a mixed message.

And really it ends up highlighting that there's still most of a vehicle there...
I believe this is who they're referring to...Gladys West
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

What about the trans-intersex-asexual-lizard people edition? Assholes. :lockedup:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 08, 2023, 04:29:22 PM
What about the trans-intersex-asexual-lizard people edition? Assholes. :lockedup:
It's not their month.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 08, 2023, 04:44:27 PM
It's not their month.

There aren't enough months for everyone who isn't a straight white male. :erjerbs:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 08, 2023, 04:46:37 PM
There aren't enough months for everyone who isn't a straight white male. :erjerbs:
It seems that Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Pride Month (April/June) get a lot of months.  Maybe they can squeeze in a week or so for the Trans-intersex-asexual-lizard people.  Don't know how big a group they might be, but they might have to organize some marches or parades to get a little more publicity; though I'm not sure if the lizard people want to be recognized.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 08, 2023, 04:29:22 PM

I blame them for the GM reverse lights that light up when the car is not in reverse.

Morris Minor

What? Just an indiscriminate blanket buyout offer to any white collar employee who'll take it?
I can't believe that they'd risk losing the most marketable talent they need for move forward (EVs, electrical engineers, vehicle automation, software.)
If this is true, the cream of the crop will leave, and they'll be left with the legacy folks.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/03/09/gm-offers-voluntary-buyouts-to-majority-of-u-s-salaried-workers.html

r0tor

That looks like a pretty pathetic buyout - max of 12 months salary and having a ridiculously overpriced COBRA healthcare option?  The only takers will be people who were already set to retire or quit in the near future
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 10, 2023, 08:39:01 AM
That looks like a pretty pathetic buyout - max of 12 months salary and having a ridiculously overpriced COBRA healthcare option?  The only takers will be people who were already set to retire or quit in the near future

Or looking to move to another job already.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 10, 2023, 05:39:31 AM
What? Just an indiscriminate blanket buyout offer to any white collar employee who'll take it?
I can't believe that they'd risk losing the most marketable talent they need for move forward (EVs, electrical engineers, vehicle automation, software.)
If this is true, the cream of the crop will leave, and they'll be left with the legacy folks.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/03/09/gm-offers-voluntary-buyouts-to-majority-of-u-s-salaried-workers.html

Like Big Tech, GM no doubt sees sustained tough times on the horizon (confirmed by the near implosion of Silicon Valley Bank this week, which is approaching Lehman Brothers signposting). Ford and Stellantis will announce similar in the coming days or weeks.

Plus, I'm a firm believer in the principal that the number of employees doing most the work is the square root of the number of employees. As one can see, the larger the corporation, the more prominent the effect, so there will be a prominent self-selection which will only benefit GM.

The deal is actually quite good: 1 month of pay + 1 month of COBRA reimbursement per year of service. Employees are quite unlikely to do as well in a layoff or bankruptcy restructure.

A portion of the talent you mention is already outsourced (same as at Ford and Stellantis).

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on March 10, 2023, 09:52:08 AM
Like Big Tech, GM no doubt sees sustained tough times on the horizon (confirmed by the near implosion of Silicon Valley Bank this week, which is approaching Lehman Brothers signposting). Ford and Stellantis will announce similar in the coming days or weeks.

Plus, I'm a firm believer in the principal that the number of employees doing most the work is the square root of the number of employees. As one can see, the larger the corporation, the more prominent the effect, so there will be a prominent self-selection which will only benefit GM.

The deal is actually quite good: 1 month of pay + 1 month of COBRA reimbursement per year of service. Employees are quite unlikely to do as well in a layoff or bankruptcy restructure.

A portion of the talent you mention is already outsourced (same as at Ford and Stellantis).

It's already dead.   Full implosion.  That was crazy quick.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

I found another article - looks like the offer is only going out to people with five or more years of service. So maybe the more recent hires have skills more aligned with where they want to go.
Wild guess: Close down Buick and drop the GMC clones?

Maybe they should rationalize the model variants - for example there are boatloads of permutations of the big SUVs.

GoCougs

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 10, 2023, 11:06:00 AM
I found another article - looks like the offer is only going out to people with five or more years of service. So maybe the more recent hires have skills more aligned with where they want to go.
Wild guess: Close down Buick and drop the GMC clones?

Maybe they should rationalize the model variants - for example there are boatloads of permutations of the big SUVs.

Unions have a huge lock on shutting down brands. Plus, Chevy + GMC trucks outsell Ford trucks, so the ramp up of Chevy manufacturing capacity will take extensive time and effort (to also include union headaches).

As much as I am dour on the future of EVs, Tesla, Rivian and Lucid staying the f*ck away from unions will only help them as tough times (including bubbles) keep coming.

Morris Minor

Yup. I  don't know how the unions deal with the move to what are essentially robot-assembled rechargeable laptops on wheels.

My uncle used to work for a telecoms company in Liverpool. It was a big unionized shop where they assembled electromechanical telephone exchanges. Solenoids, springs, stepping motors, relays.

Then computerized electronic switching came along. No moving parts. It was brutal because old skills were irrelevant.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

That looks cumbersome

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 10, 2023, 11:06:00 AM

New hires make less. They can pick the slack when all the experience leaves, right?

IF the company can navigate re-inventing itself, they could do ok when those youngsters get into the swing of things. Then of course they'll get asked to leave later in their careers....... And the cycle starts over again!
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 10, 2023, 07:14:19 PM
New hires make less. They can pick the slack when all the experience leaves, right?

IF the company can navigate re-inventing itself, they could do ok when those youngsters get into the swing of things. Then of course they'll get asked to leave later in their careers....... And the cycle starts over again!
GM's problem is that it's still learning how to produce EVs at scale. They've produced about 1,000 Lyriqs since production started a year ago; they aim to produce  about 36,000 this year. (Last year Tesla sold around 252,000 Model Ys.)

r0tor

GM has lots of issues ... Too much engineering talent is probably not one of them though.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Just outside of the town near us is a fenced gravel lot.  Vaguely remember driving past before & there was just some some & road construction equipment & few utility company-type trucks parked there. Anyway, now it's packed with new Jeeps of all kinds. Friend of a friend hearsay but I heard also there's a parking deck somewhere in Athens GA full of unsold Stellantises. [cough]Interest rates![/cough]

Also:
https://youtu.be/coO5atvPwkw

AutobahnSHO

Will