Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

r0tor

I really want to go to the NY Autoshow their year as I have missed it since COVID happened... Only problem is there are no cars left to actually look at  :lockedup:

It looks like 2 of the 3 halls have now been converted from cars to EV test drives    :facepalm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rich

I was thinking about going until you said that
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2023, 10:20:09 AM
I really want to go to the NY Autoshow their year as I have missed it since COVID happened... Only problem is there are no cars left to actually look at  :lockedup:

It looks like 2 of the 3 halls have now been converted from cars to EV test drives    :facepalm:

wtf man :lockedup:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Test driving is more fun than just looking, but I'm sure you won't go more than 3 mph so it's not a real test drive
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

I don't even see Mazda, Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Cadillac, Audi, and mini mentioned in the website!!  Nor Tesla, Polestar, Rivian, or any of those types
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 20, 2023, 12:53:08 PM
Test driving is more fun than just looking, but I'm sure you won't go more than 3 mph so it's not a real test drive

Yeah, a walking-speed "test drive" with a salesperson blabbing away about features and stats in your ear the whole time (keeping you from just exploring a vehicle on your own at your own pace) sounds like approximately zero fun.

Soup DeVille

Electric vehicles open up so many more possibilities when it comes to form factor, that its a damned shame we aren't seeing any crazy assed concept cars.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2023, 03:04:42 PM
Electric vehicles open up so many more possibilities when it comes to form factor, that its a damned shame we aren't seeing any crazy assed concept cars.

How about this

https://youtu.be/Qq5Q1qKW-1g

Laconian

I saw that. I'm sure I would hate that guy IRL but he is certainly creative with his chaos.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

I swear I could be more creative and more functional if I had that infinite youtube money.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on March 20, 2023, 03:27:15 PM
I saw that. I'm sure I would hate that guy IRL but he is certainly creative with his chaos.

Whistlin Diesel?

Yeah, you'd hate pretty much everything about him
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2023, 04:23:29 PM
Whistlin Diesel?

Yeah, you'd hate pretty much everything about him

I am barely able to stand him. I usually mute him unless there are engine noises.

giant_mtb

I like some of his videos because the ideas themselves are fun...but then his douchebaggy personality often saps out most of the fun.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 20, 2023, 04:41:05 PM
I like some of his videos because the ideas themselves are fun...but then his douchebaggy personality often saps out most of the fun.

I've only watched it on mute :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2023, 03:04:42 PM

Tons of possibilities, but the generic skateboard architecture ensures almost all of them are crossover or geriatric height  :frown:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 20, 2023, 05:07:04 PM
Tons of possibilities, but the generic skateboard architecture ensures almost all of them are crossover or geriatric height  :frown:

But that was the job of concept cars- to throw new ideas out to the public and gauge their reaction.

We should be getting insane Luigi Colani and Sid Meier sci-fi looking stuff. Instead we get something about as exciting as the washer/dryer aisle at Home Depot.

Morris Minor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 20, 2023, 04:46:14 PM
I've only watched it on mute :lol:
Terminal video fails usually show up in the first 30 seconds:
Presenter yelling.
Presenter opening with, "What's up....???!!!
Presenter with hat on backwards.
Bad upbeat music.
Bad swirly opening graphics.
Also... bad overdubbed music track throughout drowning out voices.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 20, 2023, 07:05:58 PM
But that was the job of concept cars- to throw new ideas out to the public and gauge their reaction.

We should be getting insane Luigi Colani and Sid Meier sci-fi looking stuff. Instead we get something about as exciting as the washer/dryer aisle at Home Depot.

What else can you do though when the floor is 8" thick?  You plop a box on top of a box

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 21, 2023, 05:37:26 AM
What else can you do though when the floor is 8" thick?  You plop a box on top of a box

Why would one build a concept using standardized power modules?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 21, 2023, 06:50:39 AM

Standardization is the concept. The modules are the build.
? :huh:

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 21, 2023, 06:50:39 AM

So you don't become Subaru who routinely made concept cars that could never be built and then produced a shitty looking production car.

Eye of the Tiger

This is the most car any member of the proletariat should be allowed to own, by law.

https://youtu.be/TrtgzKfrEcc

Change my mind.

r0tor

The new C&D is actually showcasing the Yugo and pointing out they are now selling for upwards of $8k for a pristine version.  First of all, what is a pristine Yugo.  It's a Yugo.  Secondly, the only thing that ever made them desirable was the companies figuring out how to recycle them.

$8k.... For a Yugo.... The brown eye of the automotive world

Eye of the Tiger

I'd rather have a Lada

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on March 21, 2023, 06:29:57 PM
The new C&D is actually showcasing the Yugo and pointing out they are now selling for upwards of $8k for a pristine version.  First of all, what is a pristine Yugo.  It's a Yugo.  Secondly, the only thing that ever made them desirable was the companies figuring out how to recycle them.

My Fiat Uno had that same 55 hp 1,100 cc engine. It was only a couple of years old, but its exhaust fell off when my wife & were driving her parents to the airport for their trip back home to the US. She told me much later that that, & seeing our home, had prompted them to very gently start planting the seed, suggesting we might move to the US, & afford something better.

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 22, 2023, 07:41:59 AM
My Fiat Uno had that same 55 hp 1,100 cc engine. It was only a couple of years old, but its exhaust fell off when my wife & were driving her parents to the airport for their trip back home to the US. She told me much later that that, & seeing our home, had prompted them to very gently start planting the seed, suggesting we might move to the US, & afford something better.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-fiat-uno-2/

!!!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on March 21, 2023, 06:29:57 PM

They're- unique, and therefore interesting. It also has to be really rare to find one in good condition.

Not my cup of tea, but I can see why people would want them.

AutobahnSHO

Fiats were very popular in Argentina in the mid-90s, along with Peugeots. Not many Japanese cars!

Will

Morris Minor

FoMoJo

Is this the normal way to change a bulldozer tire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Dc4bWVleg
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."