Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on December 13, 2016, 09:03:08 PM
Dude, I'm not MrH. 

Right now the purchase plan is to
1. Either add an SUV to share with my brother (SQ5/Discovery/RR Sport/F-Pace) or an AWD manual wagon for myself (if these still exist)
2. Replace Z4 with Z4M Roadster. 

Should be within the next 2 years. I need a winter drivable car first, unless I get a job in the city where I can just Uber to work.  After those two car purchases, I think I'm done.  Z4M for daily driving, SUV for snow/hauling/friends/family (not my own, since I refuse to have children)/Home Depot trips/et al.  Maybe when I have more space I'll pick up a classic 911 cabriolet or targa for top down road trips and the like, but that's about it.  Modern cars suck.  I'll probably replace the SUV on a semi-regular basis, because, I mean, what's the point?  They're all the same, it's just about what looks cooler.
Your ability to rationalize capitulation.... it's a gift :lol:

"Modern cars suck"..... "Im going halfsies on the defining modern car paradigm (small luxury CUV) with my as yet unidentified brother"

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2016, 11:32:55 AM
Your ability to rationalize capitulation.... it's a gift :lol:

"Modern cars suck"..... "Im going halfsies on the defining modern car paradigm (small luxury CUV) with my as yet unidentified brother"

As yet unidentified? He's been my brother my whole life....and I live in his house.....

I need space once in a while and I'm not going to sacrifice a good daily driving experience. You don't even like cars anymore, I don't know why you're so up my ass about getting a second car that's more practical than my sports car. You traded a 350Z, the SUV of GTs for a regular Civic because the soft ass 350Z was too harsh for you. Your house is glass as fuck, homes.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on December 15, 2016, 11:40:18 AM
As yet unidentified? He's been my brother my whole life....and I live in his house.....

I need space once in a while and I'm not going to sacrifice a good daily driving experience. You don't even like cars anymore, I don't know why you're so up my ass about getting a second car that's more practical than my sports car. You traded a 350Z, the SUV of GTs for a regular Civic because the soft ass 350Z was too harsh for you. Your house is glass as fuck, homes.
Hey man no need to come at me bro, I am just trying to understand you. You claim modern cars suck but then want to go halfsies on a CUV? :confused: Why not an A4 Allroad or any used German wagon? F30 328i came in stickshift + AWD if I recall correctly. Golf R works too (and doesn't suck). Just seems a bit... convoluted.

And there's no need for the revisionism; the Z was great until I had to commute 400 miles a week in it which I've said many times. It had its flaws dynamically but those aren't what pushed me to sell.

Eye of the Tiger

AWD is overrated, and so are wagons. Versa S with a Harbor Freight trailer can do it all, and more.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  on December 15, 2016, 11:40:18 AM

:lol:

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 15, 2016, 11:51:35 AM
Hey man no need to come at me bro, I am just trying to understand you. You claim modern cars suck but then want to go halfsies on a CUV? :confused: Why not an A4 Allroad or any used German wagon? F30 328i came in stickshift + AWD if I recall correctly. Golf R works too (and doesn't suck). Just seems a bit... convoluted.

And there's no need for the revisionism; the Z was great until I had to commute 400 miles a week in it which I've said many times. It had its flaws dynamically but those aren't what pushed me to sell.

So, here's what you're not getting. You actually think something like a 328i is good to drive (and no, I don't believe they're available in AWD and stick). Golf R would make a great, AWD, practical daily driver compromise, but I'm not looking for a daily driver compromise. Isn't this the same forum that thought a Miata and a Focus RS are too similar to own both?

With an SUV--something like an RR Sport, Discovery, or SQ5 (which isn't my preference compared to the other two, but my brother loves it)--I maximize the utility to the point I'm willing to go (obviously I won't buy a van of some sort), while still having an open top sports car as a daily driver. Because, as much as I've fit into my Z4, there are things that just don't fit. And that includes stuff that won't fit in my brother's S4, like our desk chairs (which fit in my car one at a time as long as it didn't rain). Why get something like a two door hatch that's just going to sit for the better part of 9 months a year and not be practical enough when I need it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Eh fair enough. I just thought it was funny that you said "modern cars are awful", but then are shopping for the most modern car of the moment. Obviously they can't be that awful then

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 16, 2016, 07:33:57 AM
Eh fair enough. I just thought it was funny that you said "modern cars are awful", but then are shopping for the most modern car of the moment. Obviously they can't be that awful then

Ah, the thing is that I've accepted their awfulness, but SUVs were never good to drive to begin with. It's less disappointing than when a car that's supposed to be fun isn't.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on December 16, 2016, 06:57:20 PM
Ah, the thing is that I've accepted their awfulness, but SUVs were never good to drive to begin with. It's less disappointing than when a car that's supposed to be fun isn't.

I thought my 4Runner was fun to drive. :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: Cookie Monster on December 16, 2016, 07:45:28 PM
I thought my 4Runner was fun to drive. :huh:

Maybe fun in a different way?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on December 16, 2016, 06:57:20 PM
IDK man. GTI? Rustang/Camaro? Miata? TT? 911 C2S? I feel like there are a lot of legitimately good and fun cars.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 17, 2016, 08:34:16 PM
IDK man. GTI? Rustang/Camaro? Miata? TT? 911 C2S? I feel like there are a lot of legitimately good and fun cars.

Mustang and Camaro are really quite heavy to be feel all that special on the street. Miata, sure, but I already have a sports car (and one that's more fun to drive and faster). 911 C2S, perhaps. GTI has a whole lot of fixed roof for me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

4k clutch dropped the Civic to 60 in GPS confirmed 7.1s

On bald tires and quasi damp roads... Flat ground though. This is a high 6s car as far as I'm concerned. I knew I wasn't that crazy. Boy do I wish we had a 1/4 strip here. Civic Nation!

giant_mtb

I think my 1996 Monte Carlo Z34 was maybe half a second slower to 60. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 18, 2016, 11:38:03 AM
I think my 1996 Monte Carlo Z34 was maybe half a second slower to 60. 

My 1991 Skylark 3.3 V6 could have given your Monte a run for its money.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

Local dealer has a Hyper Blue 2017 Camaro 1LE :wub:  looks so good
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Buy it.

One of my neighbors has a 5th gen 1LE. Not sure what exhaust he put on it, but it gives you an eargasm every time he drives down the street.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Meh. I doubt I'll get into one of those, but they're intriguing. It's a lot of car for the money. It's basically an M4 kind of car for half the price.

But for what a SS 1LE costs, you could also get a low mileage, 2014 Z51 corvette.

Performance is actually about a wash. They lap almost the exact same times around the track. The C7 still looks really exotic to me. Probably more storage space too, but no back seats.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MrH on December 18, 2016, 08:17:03 PM
Meh. I doubt I'll get into one of those, but they're intriguing. It's a lot of car for the money. It's basically an M4 kind of car for half the price.

But for what a SS 1LE costs, you could also get a low mileage, 2014 Z51 corvette.

Performance is actually about a wash. They lap almost the exact same times around the track. The C7 still looks really exotic to me. Probably more storage space too, but no back seats.
I'd take the C7 every time.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

FWIW Camaro has no back seats either.... I'd def go C7 too. GM needs to close the loop with a Chevy branded LT-1 engined Alpha platform 4 door though.

Raza

The C7 doesn't really look like a Corvette to me; as you said, it looks really exotic. I'd take it over a Camaro every time. If I wanted to know what looking out of a gunslit is like, I'd ask my friend who used to work in a tank.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Oddly, the Corvette provides better visibility and cargo space than the 4 seat coupe.  Seems backwards, the sports car is supposed to be less practical.

The problem with corvettes is they are so customizable from the factory.  To find a used one the way you like it for a good price is really tough.  Damn near 2/3s of them have chrome wheels.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

GoCougs

I'd totally go with the Camaro; IMO looks better, it's more practical, and the C7 has had some prominent build and quality issues. I'd ditch the black hood though.

MrH

At the end of the day, I'd still have a hard time ever pulling the trigger on a monster car like that.  Are they really drastically more fun than a miata?  The consumables alone as so much more on those, it's hard to justify unless you're going to track it constantly.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 19, 2016, 08:36:35 AM
At the end of the day, I'd still have a hard time ever pulling the trigger on a monster car like that.  Are they really drastically more fun than a miata?  The consumables alone as so much more on those, it's hard to justify unless you're going to track it constantly.

It's prolly more comfortable and easier to pretend it's your only car.

MrH

If it's a second car though, I feel like an ND miata is just such a better value.  $18k cheaper than the camaro.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 19, 2016, 08:45:33 AM
If it's a second car though, I feel like an ND miata is just such a better value.  $18k cheaper than the camaro.

I remember my old dealer somehow financing a (then new) 1LE, for a customer who had shit credit, and no money down. The price was well over $1000 per month for that car.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 19, 2016, 08:45:33 AM

To me, "fun" is looks/style, speed/power, sound, driving experience, livability (particularly, ride and NVH).

If you try to couch it all on "value" you'll never get there. Get one 1-2 years old and you'll save 25% at least.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on December 19, 2016, 08:47:43 AM

I remember my old dealer somehow financing a (then new) 1LE, for a customer who had shit credit, and no money down. The price was well over $1000 per month for that car.

:confused:

I get sick just thinking about people spending $500-700/month on a car. It's a huge amount of money, unless one is making that per day...
Will