Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

12,000 RPM

I wonder if Ford Racing is coming out with some cams for it. That would give it some top end, and in my experience help the sound too. But yea, as is, no way. GM had the hierarchy right with the Camaro.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 07, 2017, 05:25:07 PM
I wonder if Ford Racing is coming out with some cams for it. That would give it some top end, and in my experience help the sound too. But yea, as is, no way. GM had the hierarchy right with the Camaro.

From what I understand, the EB Mustang's limitations are a small turbocharger and a restrictive intercooler.  Freer flowing intercooler is one of the first mods a lot of EB tuners make.  Even then, when they dial up the boost with the stock turbo, the motor still falls off early because the compressor simply can't keep up at higher RPMs.  The Focus RS gets a different turbocharger (it's a twin scroll for sure, not sure if it's larger) and a larger/freer-flowing intercooler than the EB Mustang, which is part of why the power characteristics are different (more power/torque, peaks at higher RPMs).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 07, 2017, 11:16:51 AM
Why would you make that drive voluntarily??! It's so fucking boring, I have to keep the windows open during that stretch or I'll fall asleep.
Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 07, 2017, 11:29:45 AM
I think that's his run to pick up/drop off the kids.

yup, did it again today. It's actually 2hrs less than when I lived in SC. And I-95 is stupid congested and obnoxious and flat and trees so even more boring.

Today was passed by a Maserati, saw a red Astin Martin vert on a car carrier, and counted 7 cayennes. 3 had roof cargo carriers.

Done till April.
Will

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Yup. I see them pop up in FB from time to time because a couple of friends want them, but....

Vaporware!!
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 08, 2017, 01:48:37 PM
Yup. I see them pop up in FB from time to time because a couple of friends want them, but....

Vaporware!!

When I heard about it, I was interested. When I looked into it, and realized that every single page on their website redirects you to their reservations page for anywhere from $500 to $1000, I knew it was a scam.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

I love the Elio Owners Forum. If you try and explain to them how it cannot work and is doomed to fail, even if you're nice about it, you get banned and your posts removed. Happened to me 3 years ago.  :lol:

I go back every now and then for a laugh. Most optimistic lot on the web, I reckon.

AutobahnSHO

Just cracks me up how the release date keeps changing with the same spiel and so many of them just hang on to hope. They haven't even improved the prototypes, they haven't gotten anything done at the plant, just keep saying they'll be out "next year".....
Will

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

you should see the q8.  so fucking disgraceful.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 05, 2017, 09:13:33 PM
Engines aren't complicated enough already. Let's do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rn-gZNJBIU

It's all mechanical though - if they get it right, which they should be able to do, it should be a solid solution (akin to pooprod vs. DOHC - equally reliable and will last the life of the engine if done correctly).

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on January 07, 2017, 12:06:29 PM
The EB Mustang would be more appealing if it had the Focus RS's state of tune and exhaust note.  It still won't sound as good as the V8, nor even the V6, but the FoRS is a lot better to listen to than the EB Mustang.  And the extra 40 hp would actually justify it over the V6 in the food chain rather than relying on withholding options from the V6 trim to drive people "up" to the 4-banger.  Though that's kind of moot now since the V6 is gone starting MY18.

It's a relatively big and heavy car and thus, with more boost so goes increased lag and prototypical turbo sensitivity to decreased mpg in typical driving.

Raza

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 10, 2017, 03:01:44 PM
WHY?? :confused:

My brother is actually looking at the S5 sportback to replace his S4 now.  I think it's a better fit than the S6 (I mean that literally; the S6 is really tight in our garage).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Quote from: Rockraven on January 08, 2017, 02:47:52 PM
I love the Elio Owners Forum. If you try and explain to them how it cannot work and is doomed to fail, even if you're nice about it, you get banned and your posts removed. Happened to me 3 years ago.  :lol:

I go back every now and then for a laugh. Most optimistic lot on the web, I reckon.

An old co-worker has a deposit of one.  I tried to explain to him the 3 wheel design was done to try and skirt all safety regs - but he never believed that and said it was some advanced aero feature
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza  on January 10, 2017, 05:16:28 PM
My brother is actually looking at the S5 sportback to replace his S4 now.  I think it's a better fit than the S6 (I mean that literally; the S6 is really tight in our garage).

You should tell him to hold out for an RS3. It doesn't look like much unfortunately, but with the I5 it will probably walk all over the S4 (and maybe even the RS4). Plus it would fit a lot easier in any garage.  :lol:

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 11, 2017, 06:31:50 AM
You should tell him to hold out for an RS3. It doesn't look like much unfortunately, but with the I5 it will probably walk all over the S4 (and maybe even the RS4). Plus it would fit a lot easier in any garage.  :lol:

It'll be too small and too downmarket for him, unless he gets the SQ5 or something similar. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 10, 2017, 03:01:44 PM
WHY?? :confused:

I'm getting really tired of everyone copying each other's hex face.
Will

SJ_GTI

I may be biased, but I think the "hex face" is a pretty natural evolution from the horse collar grill. Audi has been steadily "sharpening the edges" the grill with each new model. In this instance its also not like this grill is any bigger than the grills they have been using for a decade already...its just a slightly different shape.

That being said I do wonder if/when Audi will start moving back to smaller grills. I kind of like the "grill-less" face on Tesla's.

SJ_GTI

Here is an old picture of my prior car, which itself was the second generation to use the horse collar grill:

giant_mtb

I prefer that over the hex. The hex bulges just make it look huge. Needlessly.

giant_mtb

I think my dash cam picks up other people's radios or FM transmitters or something.  I was just watching some of my footage from today and sometimes when I go by vehicles, I start to hear music in the video, even though I didn't have the radio or anything on.  I was watching it and all of a sudden some rap song starts playing and I'm like WTF I wasn't listening to that??

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 11, 2017, 11:37:42 AM
I think my dash cam picks up other people's radios or FM transmitters or something.  I was just watching some of my footage from today and sometimes when I go by vehicles, I start to hear music in the video, even though I didn't have the radio or anything on.  I was watching it and all of a sudden some rap song starts playing and I'm like WTF I wasn't listening to that??

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 11, 2017, 11:37:42 AM

Wrap the camera wires in foil.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Parked next to a new Ridgeline (blue) today. Pretty different than the previous. Looks much smaller, looks more truck in the back but more car in the front.

I like it. Don't love it.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on January 11, 2017, 12:28:18 PM
Wrap the camera wires in foil.

It's a self-contained unit.

Only wire is the power wire running up to the roof liner, across the windshield, down the A-pillar, under the steering column, and to the 12V outlet.  Can't really wrap it.

It's on its way out, anyways.  It struggles to record consistently.  It's set to record upon motion detection and then do 5 minute cyclic recording, but it hardly detects motion/starts recording and most of the videos I get are only like 5-10 seconds long and then it stops.  Then maybe a couple minutes later I'll get another 5-10 second video.  Occasionally I'll get a 2-3 minute segment where it decided to work.  It is like 3-4 years old, though, and has been through a lot of hot and cold cycles...it's got a battery instead of capacitors, so that doesn't help either.  And it was like $30, so I'm surprised it's lasted this long. :lol:

Raza

Saw this last night:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

68_427

Raza you need a Cappuccino or Beat
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no