Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

I'll pass a cop as long as I'm doing no more than ~8 over. But I'm white and don't drive rice rockets, so they'll leave me alone 99% of the time anyway.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 29, 2018, 05:31:25 AM
Fuck that. I got a ticket for passing a cop. Lawyer got it tossed but it still cost me. I will ride in their lane behind them though for brave folks like you :lol:

And that's fine. Just annoying when somebody pussyfoots around and blocks the passing lane.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
OH!  And the other day...got on the highway, and there was a State Boy in the right lane.  He was going about 60 in a 55.  An out-of-state Audi Q7 got in the left lane to pass him...and just sat in his blind spot...meanwhile I was trying to get by, because I knew I wasn't gonna get pulled over for 62, and would have accepted it if he did.  This fucking Audi sat in the cop's blind spot for 3 miles and eventually slowed down and moved in behind him.  So I passed them all.  Didn't get pulled over...cop turned into the State Police post right off the highway.  The Q7 tailed me the rest of the way. :rolleyes:

I can't stand people that won't pass cops...especially if they create a traffic jam over it.

Fuck that shit.  Every cop knows they set the speed limit when they get on the road.  I'm not trying to pass one and give them an excuse to pull me over and put me on the news as another tragic incident.  I can be five minutes later than I expected.

I won't hang about next to them though, for any longer than I have to.  I'll get in behind them when I can, and, if possible, let other cars in between me and him.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

And this is a perfect example of how the makers of premium performance cars in the past understood how to do smaller engines right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Rh8os40Ts

If you have to go smaller to meet ever more stringent emissions and fuel economy standards, fine.  But please please please don't reduce the cylinder counts.  The 718 Cayman/Boxster should have gotten a sweet 2.0/2.5L H6, not a lumpy H4.  A BMW _20i or _30i with a 2.0L I6 instead of a 4-banger?  Yes, please.  Especially for the base Z4.

Turbo-4s are now ubiquitous.  Can be found in Civics and Fusions and Accords and any number of cute-utes.  Premium cars need to offer more, even in their base trims.  Give me something under the hood that I can't get at my local Ford or Honda store.  If you have to go 2.0T to meet some draconian regulations, at least give it some more cylinders so that it can feature a more upscale character.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

X3 vs Q5 vs XC60

These three were so lucky a CR-V was not invited....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDjkvlfLy_E
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

shp4man

Giving some serious consideration to buying a decent 1st generation Miata. Need a fuel efficient little commuter, don't have kids at home any more. Good parts availability, fun little ride with some personality, still cheap, plus this:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2013/11/19/Mazda-Miata-turns-25

"Happily, to the collector car market, early Miatas are still just used cars to which the unkind rules of depreciation still apply. But probably not for long. Rich Pennington (www.miatasportscars.com) may be one of the only dealers in the U.S. specializing in first-generation Miatas (1990-97). "They look, sound and feel like a sports car. They're bouncy, simple, low to the ground and you can put the top up with one hand. It carries on from the MG and Austin-Healey and Triumphs of the '60s, except they start and they're really nice on the inside, with A/C and heat that work. I genuinely like the style of car."

Here's one. Even the interior looks nice.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/na-miata/6542119194.html

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on March 31, 2018, 12:36:00 PM
Giving some serious consideration to buying a decent 1st generation Miata.

They are AMAZING little cars. You don't notice the lack of engine HP unless you're drag-racing people. I floored mine every stoplight from 0-55mph on my way to work and never got less than 28mpg. And they're so much fun at low speed like that.

I can't wait to get another.

I would prefer a newer model, I didn't care for the popup headlights. I LOVE the ND and would like an NC since that's pretty expensive. If I got an NA I would modify the turn signals to put some kind of LED daytime run lights or something in there (there's empty space).

They're amazing little cars.
Will

Laconian

Dialed-in fun, no bullshit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

dazzleman

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2018, 10:17:48 PM
OH!  And the other day...got on the highway, and there was a State Boy in the right lane.  He was going about 60 in a 55.  An out-of-state Audi Q7 got in the left lane to pass him...and just sat in his blind spot...meanwhile I was trying to get by, because I knew I wasn't gonna get pulled over for 62, and would have accepted it if he did.  This fucking Audi sat in the cop's blind spot for 3 miles and eventually slowed down and moved in behind him.  So I passed them all.  Didn't get pulled over...cop turned into the State Police post right off the highway.  The Q7 tailed me the rest of the way. :rolleyes:

I can't stand people that won't pass cops...especially if they create a traffic jam over it.

People who have no balls annoy the piss out of me on the road.  I was behind somebody like that yesterday, who was too afraid to turn left out of the mall exit even though there was plenty of room before any cars were coming.

I have no issue passing cops if they're doing at or below the speed limit, and I'm a little bit over.  What's the worst that can happen?  And if you're too afraid to pass a cop, then you should get in the right lane behind him.

My most fun experience with a cop was the time I was on the Merritt Parkway and a cop came blowing by me at a pretty high speed (about 85 mph).  Sensing an opportunity, I moved into the left lane behind him, and followed him at a discreet distance going the same speed he was.  The great thing about it was the he cleared the left lane, since anybody seeing a statie behind them quickly moved over.  I followed him as far as I could until he got off, and he never bothered me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

ifcar

Quote from: shp4man on March 31, 2018, 12:36:00 PM
Giving some serious consideration to buying a decent 1st generation Miata. Need a fuel efficient little commuter, don't have kids at home any more. Good parts availability, fun little ride with some personality, still cheap, plus this:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2013/11/19/Mazda-Miata-turns-25

"Happily, to the collector car market, early Miatas are still just used cars to which the unkind rules of depreciation still apply. But probably not for long. Rich Pennington (www.miatasportscars.com) may be one of the only dealers in the U.S. specializing in first-generation Miatas (1990-97). "They look, sound and feel like a sports car. They're bouncy, simple, low to the ground and you can put the top up with one hand. It carries on from the MG and Austin-Healey and Triumphs of the '60s, except they start and they're really nice on the inside, with A/C and heat that work. I genuinely like the style of car."

Here's one. Even the interior looks nice.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/na-miata/6542119194.html

One thing that will probably keep used values in check is that all the subsequent generations remained great. You don't have to buy an old Miata to get the classic flavor. But they are going to be desirable for a long time, and you'll have a blast whether it appreciates or not.

Laconian

NAs and NBs are essentially interchangeable with the exception of those popup lights.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 31, 2018, 09:53:03 AM
X3 vs Q5 vs XC60

These three were so lucky a CR-V was not invited....

CR-V would have automatically won. VTEC is that badass. No contest.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2018, 11:16:08 AM
NAs and NBs are essentially interchangeable with the exception of those popup lights.

I hadn't realized. I see very few NBs though.
Will

12,000 RPM

I still miss the "speed limiter" control from all the rentals we had in Europe. Basically the opposite of cruise control. Would keep you from going above a certain speed. Would be great to be able to set it to like 20% above the posted limit and leave it.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 12, 2018, 12:53:32 PM
So my mom was in a fender bender last week and her car (2004 Acura TSX) was totaled by the insurance company. Still drivable FWIW, I think they just figured its not worth fixing a car that old.

Anywho she needs another car and since my brother recently started working at Subaru the timing seemed to work out. Unfortunately it turns out the employee pricing program from Subaru isn't as simple as showing up to a dealership and getting that price. They actually have you order it directly from them (Subaru) and you take delivery at their head office here in South Jersey. Wait time on getting the car is 8-12 weeks. Very reasonable if if is a pre-planned purchase, tough to do in an emergency.

She did test drive a bunch of cars with my brother and she liked the Crosstrek the best (only downside for her was leather was only available in black or black/gray). She had them price out a fully loaded model and with the discount it is like ~26k. Not bad IMHO. She is driving an insurance rental for now but if/when they cut her a check for her totaled Acura we suspect they will cancel the rental as well so she is trying to see if she can find a car to borrow for a few months.

My brother did order his Impreza, he is expecting delivery some time in April.

So my mom did end up buying a Crosstrek.

She ended up getting a slightly used (5k miles) employee trade in. Its a 2017 model, white exterior and beige/black interior. I took it for a spin yesterday (she bought it last Wednesday) and it was a pretty nice car. Felt a little bigger than I expected but it actually had decent power. The CVT worked well but it feel weird how it revs up and then sort of tries to imitate the gears of a normal automatic. It changes the RPM's but it doesn't feel the same. That being said if you use the paddle shifters it does actually feel like a normal geared automatic, so there is that. I am guessing my mom will never use them and couldn't care less about gears.  :lol:

I thought the interior was pretty nice, essentially on par with my Golf. Whoever was leasing it from Subaru had tinted the windows (rear windows really dark, very minor tint to the fronts) so that is actually kind of nice for my mom. She likes the tint but never would have done it herself.

The rear hatch area was sort of interesting. Not sure if it was an option/accessory, but it has a removable plastic/rubber lining that will make it nice for loading plants/mulch (my mom does like to tend her little vegetable garden). It doesn't have a shelf that closes in the rear compartment when the hatch is closed. I thought that would be standard. Driving without that shelf makes my Golf a little boomier. I'll have to see if there is something for my mom to buy aftermarket because I think she'd like the quieter ride.

All things considered its a nice little CUV. Personally I think I'd just stick to an Impreza hatch thought.

cawimmer430

Are there any features on your car which you never use?

Today for the first time in months I used my sunroof - and only to take snapshots of a classic Honda S600/S800 parked at the side of a road on a busy street (pics coming later).

I never use this feature because I'll either be driving with A/C (in the summer) or with heating (in the winter) or have my windows rolled slightly down during Spring. A sunroof is an option/feature that I would never pay for in a car. I just don't use it - so why have it?

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Honda S800 Roadster, spotted today.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 02, 2018, 07:23:35 AM

Today for the first time in months I used my sunroof - and only to take snapshots of a classic Honda S600/S800 parked at the side of a road on a busy street (pics coming later).

I never use this feature because I'll either be driving with A/C (in the summer) or with heating (in the winter) or have my windows rolled slightly down during Spring. A sunroof is an option/feature that I would never pay for in a car. I just don't use it - so why have it?

I used the A4's sunroof a decent amount. Not much at first, as I was suuuuper anal about keeping the interior clean, but after a couple years I didn't mind so much, and some passengers like a sunroof when their own car doesn't have one.  Nice to have cruising around town.

On the Taco...um, the 120V outlet in the bed.  I think I've used it twice. Once for a lamp at a music festival and another time to blow up an air mattress while camping with the gf.  Cool to have, though.

Soup DeVille

The airbag.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 02, 2018, 09:29:29 AM
I used the A4's sunroof a decent amount. Not much at first, as I was suuuuper anal about keeping the interior clean, but after a couple years I didn't mind so much, and some passengers like a sunroof when their own car doesn't have one.  Nice to have cruising around town.

On the Taco...um, the 120V outlet in the bed.  I think I've used it twice. Once for a lamp at a music festival and another time to blow up an air mattress while camping with the gf.  Cool to have, though.

I think the reason why I don't use my sunroof is because I am usually listening to the radio or my music and an open sunroof just means extra noise.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Have yet to use the line lock and probably never will.  Haven't used launch control either since it's intended for drag strip use, not Auto-x.  I've never used the CD player in the Mustang since I can either plug in a flash drive full of music or link to my phone.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: MX793 on April 02, 2018, 10:36:20 AM
Have yet to use the line lock and probably never will.  Haven't used launch control either since it's intended for drag strip use, not Auto-x.  I've never used the CD player in the Mustang since I can either plug in a flash drive full of music or link to my phone.

I haven't used launch control on the M5 either. In my case because I don't want to shorten the SMG´s clutch life. However, if you set it in max attack mode and simply mash the throttle it will rev up and the drop the clucth anyway. That I have done a few times.

The M5 has a CD AND a separate DVD player. I haven´t used either. Bluetooth pill through aux in is my audio solution.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

I think I used the navigation in the G once, and then realized it was hilariously outdated... entire sections of highway missing :lol:

Why o why manufacturers insist on developing infotainment in the context of smartphone ubiquity is truly beyond me.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Quote from: MX793 on April 02, 2018, 10:36:20 AM
CD player

:hesaid:

I've used my CD player precisely twice in 8.5 years.

Quote from: 2o6 on April 02, 2018, 10:38:37 AM
AM radio.

I often don't listen to anything at all while I'm driving, but I do make use of both FM and AM. Around town I listen to traffic reports on the news stations, which are generally AM, and occasionally listen to a comedy station because it's the only thing worth listening to at the moment. Out of town, often AM stations are the only ones with reception, if any.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 02, 2018, 11:56:25 AM
I think I used the navigation in the G once, and then realized it was hilariously outdated... entire sections of highway missing :lol:

Why o why manufacturers insist on developing infotainment in the context of smartphone ubiquity is truly beyond me.

+1

Modularity is my life motto. If something breaks or is outdated, I want to be able to replace one part instead of the whole thing.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 02, 2018, 10:33:29 AM
:lol:

The Land Cruiser has a front seat only DVD player; but it only works in park with the parking brake on. Its about he most useless feature I've ever seen.
The rear climate control buttons are in a really weird place and the kids can't be trusted to use them anyways.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator