Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

12,000 RPM

https://jalopnik.com/man-dies-after-crash-in-home-built-honda-civic-based-ka-1825681533

Weld a kart out of exhaust pipe and drive it on the street, bros.
Die in a minor fender bender as a result, bros.
Do it for the 'gram, bros.

Stupid fucker had a kid :facepalm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Laconian

Called it the Death Kart
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

I couldn't find anywhere where it said what grade of tubing he used.

The after-crash photos have it looking relatively intact; I assume he wasn't buckled in though.

Whatever, I think the glee some are showing over his death is a bit childish.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2018, 12:30:33 PM
Called it the Death Kart

"DeathKart" is kinda a generic term for these, and they've become somewhat commonplace. C5 deathkarts are a thing too.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 02, 2018, 12:57:57 PM
I couldn't find anywhere where it said what grade of tubing he used.

The after-crash photos have it looking relatively intact; I assume he wasn't buckled in though.

Whatever, I think the glee some are showing over his death is a bit childish.

comments seem to think it wasn't the right kind of tubing, and the welds broke, and the angles/ joint plates weren't there (that should have been).

Sad situation, and it should never have been registered.  Some guy with a welding torch can't expect to come close to federal-mandated crash engineering and testing.
Will

Laconian

He admitted in that listing that the welding job was bad.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 02, 2018, 01:28:58 PM
comments seem to think it wasn't the right kind of tubing, and the welds broke, and the angles/ joint plates weren't there (that should have been).

Sad situation, and it should never have been registered.  Some guy with a welding torch can't expect to come close to federal-mandated crash engineering and testing.

Comments seem to be talking out of their ass. Yeah, the cage doesn't look great, nor do the welds;

Were those the cause, or was he just unbuckled?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 02, 2018, 01:36:06 PM
He admitted in that listing that the welding job was bad.

He admitted they weren't pretty, yes. Ugly welds can hold too.

He was thrown; did it happen because the belts broke off, or was he just unbelted?

Soup DeVille

What I'm saying is that even though this doesn't look like a great fab job, its not clear that it failed and killed him.

Any time you modify a car you risk making it less safe. I'm sure there are a number of deaths every year caused that could have been avoided if the car just hadn't been on performance tires in the rain, or if the owners tweaks to the rear alignment hadn't lead to a spin out, or if the lowered suspension hadn't failed after hitting a pothole, or if the car was just too fast.

And as guys who have all at one time or another done one or more of those things, its a bit hypocritical to be so glib about this dude's death- that's all.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 02, 2018, 12:28:46 PM
https://jalopnik.com/man-dies-after-crash-in-home-built-honda-civic-based-ka-1825681533

Weld a kart out of exhaust pipe and drive it on the street, bros.
Die in a minor fender bender as a result, bros.
Do it for the 'gram, bros.

Stupid fucker had a kid :facepalm:

That's what you get in a state with no annual safety inspection.  According to someone from the VA DMV, that vehicle shouldn't have been registerable because it had been too heavily modified from the Honda Civic it had started out as (and was registered as).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 02, 2018, 02:05:06 PM
What I'm saying is that even though this doesn't look like a great fab job, its not clear that it failed and killed him.

Any time you modify a car you risk making it less safe. I'm sure there are a number of deaths every year caused that could have been avoided if the car just hadn't been on performance tires in the rain, or if the owners tweaks to the rear alignment hadn't lead to a spin out, or if the lowered suspension hadn't failed after hitting a pothole, or if the car was just too fast.

And as guys who have all at one time or another done one or more of those things, its a bit hypocritical to be so glib about this dude's death- that's all.
On the scale of 1 to 10 of modifications, new tires is like a 1.5. This kit was like a 15.

Various forums and commenters analyzed the welds from the videos and pictures. A lot of the welds failed, and it seems the cause of death was him being ejected. Thing is, he was probably buckled in, and whatever his seat/harness was fastened to had its welds fail.

You are right that it's shitty to find glee in his death. I wasn't. But it's a reminder to do things right.

Speaking of which, you guys are probably going to laugh. Here is the end result of my track day.

Had 2 really good sessions, was flying on the last... VSC light went solid, spun it on the next turn.  Watching the video, I did counterspin, but IDK that I gave it gas. Raza will be happy to know the AT was so disobedient it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. Glad I wasn't braking for turn 1 off the oval, but yea. Not a good day. Thankfully no airbags deployed, hopefully I will just need a new front clip. But now with the baby and all I'm thinking maybe it's not worth pressing my luck. Could have been so much worse.

giant_mtb

Ouch.  Glad you're alright. 

12,000 RPM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

shp4man

Damn Sporty, hope it gets better, seriously. Unseriously, time for a CR-V?  :lol: :hammerhead:

12,000 RPM

All jokes aside, maybe.

68_427

Even the Nascar drivers (who are actually pretty good at turning right too) said this new Roval layout is very unforgiving.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Soup DeVille

Glad you're OK.

How pissed is the wife?

12,000 RPM

She's not too pissed. At least she wasn't yesterday. We'll see when the final bill comes. She was more relieved than anything. I've had to make the "yea, so something speed related" happened call a few too many times. She said she doesn't want the next time to be a call or visit from someone else. I don't blame her.

Karting + sim racing are much cheaper + safer and not much less exciting for me anyway (mainly for those reasons). What I think I'm really going to miss is the motorcycle.

AutobahnSHO

Dude!!!     :mask:

That sucks, sorry to hear about the car but glad you're alright!!

I figure the lower the speed the less likely death. So
Miata > higher HP car
bicycle > motorcycle

:huh:  :thumbsup:

Did you ever sell Civic? or how are you commuting now?
Will

MX793

That sucks.  I'll stick with Auto-x.  On-the-limit driving with practically no  risk.  Cones don't do more than leave easy-to-buff-out scuffs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 02, 2018, 08:54:00 PM
On the scale of 1 to 10 of modifications, new tires is like a 1.5. This kit was like a 15.

Various forums and commenters analyzed the welds from the videos and pictures. A lot of the welds failed, and it seems the cause of death was him being ejected. Thing is, he was probably buckled in, and whatever his seat/harness was fastened to had its welds fail.

You are right that it's shitty to find glee in his death. I wasn't. But it's a reminder to do things right.

Speaking of which, you guys are probably going to laugh. Here is the end result of my track day.

Had 2 really good sessions, was flying on the last... VSC light went solid, spun it on the next turn.  Watching the video, I did counterspin, but IDK that I gave it gas. Raza will be happy to know the AT was so disobedient it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. Glad I wasn't braking for turn 1 off the oval, but yea. Not a good day. Thankfully no airbags deployed, hopefully I will just need a new front clip. But now with the baby and all I'm thinking maybe it's not worth pressing my luck. Could have been so much worse.

Was your ESC on and then faulted/failed to off, or was in off and then turned back on due to a fault?
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on May 03, 2018, 06:27:29 AM
That sucks.  I'll stick with Auto-x.  On-the-limit driving with practically no  risk.  Cones don't do more than leave easy-to-buff-out scuffs.

+1

Hit up an SCCA event Sporty.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on May 03, 2018, 08:56:33 AM
Was your ESC on and then faulted/failed to off, or was in off and then turned back on due to a fault?
On and faulted off.

2o6

I think buying a cheap G35 or similar is a good way to go, tbh.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 03, 2018, 10:02:05 AM
On and faulted off.

I am sorry this happened to you. Silver lining is that was an extremely light accident by HPDE crash standards.

If the ESC deactivating made you crash it is likely that the spin could've been avoided with better driving technique. Also, you were driving "too fast" relying on the ESC system to save you. A school would fix that, make you safer, and let you continue to enjoy an activity you like. Don't feel like shit, you're not the first nor last person to make a mistake like that. Learn, fix, move on, enjoy what you like.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Gotta-Qik-C7

This is why I won't track my GS. Plus insurance won't cover wrecks that occur on a racetrack.

Quote from: MX793 on May 03, 2018, 06:27:29 AM
That's better....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 02, 2018, 08:54:00 PM

Yikes. Glad you're alright, man.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.