Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

12,000 RPM

CTR vs G70 is an interesting comparo. If not for the looks I'd def do the CTR
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CALL_911

Quote from: Xer0 on November 06, 2018, 11:11:22 AM
Yup, they have always seemed great on paper but criminally under-delivered.  That 2.0T has been a disappointment since inception not backing up its performance or fuel economy promises in anything they've put it in.  But man, as a package the G70 just works.  Here's to hoping reviews are solid.

Yeah, I'm hoping its as good as it sounds (and looks)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

G70 = incandescent blinkers = ginormous fail. But they're getting the infotainment right - no joystick or touch pad nonsense (just buttons and touchscreen).

12,000 RPM

Control wheels are good

But truthfully steering wheel controls rule all. Thats the only saving grace of MFT2

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 06, 2018, 06:02:56 PM
What is a CTR?

Civic Type R, I think.

I dunno what MFT2 is though.

12,000 RPM

Yes

MFT2 = My Ford Touch 2, in the MKX

FoMoJo

The Genius Way They're About to Reinvent the Camshaft

Another approach to a camless valve train, 'digital valve train'.  Interesting read.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Driving and maintaining a 54 year old vehicle gives me a unique perspective on just how far automotive technology has come in a half century. Emissions, performance, durability, fuel economy, safety.....It's huge.
Still like old cars, though. There's a little old lady owned '62 Rambler I'm currently lusting after.  :nutty: :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: shp4man on November 07, 2018, 09:28:39 AM
Driving and maintaining a 54 year old vehicle gives me a unique perspective on just how far automotive technology has come in a half century. Emissions, performance, durability, fuel economy, safety.....It's huge.
Still like old cars, though. There's a little old lady owned '62 Rambler I'm currently lusting after.  :nutty: :lol:

I love the simplicity of old cars. And old thing in general. Digital things are great, but the ingenuity behind analog problem solving is cool to see.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 07, 2018, 10:21:03 AM
I love the simplicity of old cars. And old thing in general. Digital things are great, but the ingenuity behind analog problem solving is cool to see.
The sounds, the smells, the feel.  Air sucking through the carburetor, that mix of raw gasoline combined with hot oil and those vibrations on the pedals, shift lever, steering wheel and the seat of your pants.  Just a greater visceral experience.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Engine Masters did a video comparing carbs vs fuel injection to see which made more HP. Carbs win. :praise:

(carbs have a huge benefit of cooling the air charge vs port injection)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 07, 2018, 11:14:13 AM
The sounds, the smells, the feel.  Air sucking through the carburetor, that mix of raw gasoline combined with hot oil and those vibrations on the pedals, shift lever, steering wheel and the seat of your pants.  Just a greater visceral experience.
Yup.....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 07, 2018, 10:21:03 AM
It's cool when new cars have a kind of old simplicity. My Civic was like that. G37 was not. Optima is :lol:

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 07, 2018, 11:26:26 AM
Engine Masters did a video comparing carbs vs fuel injection to see which made more HP. Carbs win. :praise:

This was a thing when motocross bikes started to transition to fuel injection.  A guy who was good at dialing in carb jetting could get more power out of a carb'ed bike, but they were far less adaptable and as races moved from locale to locale, things like altitude, temperature, and relative humidity would all require the mechanics to have to re-jet the carbs, whereas the FI machines are largely left to their own devices.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on November 07, 2018, 07:31:17 PM
This was a thing when motocross bikes started to transition to fuel injection.  A guy who was good at dialing in carb jetting could get more power out of a carb'ed bike, but they were far less adaptable and as races moved from locale to locale, things like altitude, temperature, and relative humidity would all require the mechanics to have to re-jet the carbs, whereas the FI machines are largely left to their own devices.

computers are amazing!!
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 07, 2018, 11:26:26 AM

Absolutely love Engine Masters, but a lot of their tests are sorta bogus. Which heads make more HP? Uh, you don't test that by using the same short block and cam. It's a holistic approach - different heads begat different cams, compression rations, etc. Same with FI vs. carbs. The primary benefit of FI is it enables higher compression ratios - finer atomization = less prone to detonation.

cawimmer430

Two things.

First - Holy shit! A Lexus GS with Austrian plates!

Second - I finally spotted one of these elusive Jaguar Z Type-R's!

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Whyyyyy do people do such things? 

Yeah, let's put a Jaguar badge and a Type R badge on my Nissan Z...makes total sense!  :nutty:

cawimmer430

I have no idea. It looks STUPID:tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Morris Minor

Quote from: shp4man on November 07, 2018, 09:28:39 AM
I can always tell when there's an old car somewhere close... by the aroma of unburnt hydrocarbons.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Galaxy

They are really cranking out different variants of MQB.

Apparently good for loading 2200lbs.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 08, 2018, 10:12:09 AM
Whyyyyy do people do such things? 

Yeah, let's put a Jaguar badge and a Type R badge on my Nissan Z...makes total sense!  :nutty:

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 08, 2018, 10:14:56 AM
I have no idea. It looks STUPID:tounge:

That combination of badges on that car makes so little sense that I guarantee you they did it just to bother random internet people. Mission accomplished, I guess. :lol:

Galaxy

An Ed Roth custom.

Not my cup of tea at all, but beautifully executed.

FoMoJo

Weird setup.  I wonder if it's driveable.

A couple of Ford FE engines each connected to a separate differential?  Must be fun if it works.

MX793

Paralleling engines like that has certainly been done before (tractor pull rigs may have 4 V8s linked together).  A former neighbor who has a Leno-esque collection of cars has/had some kind of custom, pre-war Rolls/Bentley hybrid with a "U16", which was two straight 8s paralleled together to a single driveshaft.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 09, 2018, 10:44:59 AM
Weird setup.  I wonder if it's driveable.

A couple of Ford FE engines each connected to a separate differential?  Must be fun if it works.

Yes, it runs. And if I recall correctly, its all controlled by a single joystick.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 09, 2018, 10:59:43 AM
Paralleling engines like that has certainly been done before (tractor pull rigs may have 4 V8s linked together).  A former neighbor who has a Leno-esque collection of cars has/had some kind of custom, pre-war Rolls/Bentley hybrid with a "U16", which was two straight 8s paralleled together to a single driveshaft.

He has a Bugatti-King Moteurcanon?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 09, 2018, 11:07:27 AM
He has a Bugatti-King Moteurcanon?

I don't believe so.  The whole car was somebody's custom build and I'm pretty sure the engine was a pair of automotive straight-8s paralleled through a gearbox.  Been probably 10 years since I saw it, so my memory is a little hazy.
Needs more Jiggawatts

12,000 RPM

Man shit is grim for domestics.... 97% of FCA's global profits came from its NA operations (aka RAM and Jeep); Ford dropped to 1 notch above junk status.

Planet Money has an interview with Jim Hackett.... I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but so far he is kind of the idiot everyone is proclaiming him to be. I'm about 1/3 in and he's going on and on about developing a "Vehicle Operating System".... hopefully at some point soon in the next 2/3rds he'll explain how Ford is going to survive between now and then, whenever then is. Because the bridge is looking shakier by the minute.