Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 09, 2018, 11:27:50 AM
Man shit is grim for domestics.... 97% of FCA's global profits came from its NA operations (aka RAM and Jeep); Ford dropped to 1 notch above junk status.

Planet Money has an interview with Jim Hackett.... I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but so far he is kind of the idiot everyone is proclaiming him to be. I'm about 1/3 in and he's going on and on about developing a "Vehicle Operating System".... hopefully at some point soon in the next 2/3rds he'll explain how Ford is going to survive between now and then, whenever then is. Because the bridge is looking shakier by the minute.

A guy who spent his career in the office furniture industry talking about turning cars into operating systems...  Terrifying.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

I listened to that interview yesterday.  It was interesting.  And I'd like to give him - and Ford - the benefit of the doubt.  However, it just sounds like mumbojumbo to me.  Catchy words!  Technology!  The cloud!  Operating system!

Meanwhile the company decides to abandon sedans...and then shortly after decide to maybe bring them back and call them all Mustangs?  Wtf, yo.

Laconian

Ford should be hedging its bets with autonomous/fleet efforts but they shouldn't bleed into their Actual Car business the way they have been.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

They bought some outfit that shares electric scooters :ohyeah:...Ford buys electric scooter sharing company Spin

It's time for Bill Ford to step back in until they find someone qualified to run the company.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Nah. HP and MPG are so last century. Nowadays all millenials care about is the blockchain hashrate of their transportation solutions.

2o6

As we've said before, Ford not being able to profitably sell car shaped things sounds like Ford has issues with design and production efficiency, rather than a "no one buys cars anymore". Ford literally sold more Focuses and Fiestas than Mazda sells in its entire lineup.

Thin profits are better than no profits. I don't understand how all of it's competitors don't seem to be having this issue. The Japanese competition's cars are the best they've ever been; same with GM. Saying "no one wants cars" is a cop out. 500k+ people wanted Ford branded cars.

AutobahnSHO

Those Union pensions!!!

Plus Donald's "you can't build in Mexico!"
Will

Laconian

My guess is that the CEO is impatient for major YoY growth, and isn't happy with just incremental gains or steady marketshare.

The solution is clearly Blockchain.

AutobahnSHO

Wife wanted to take Odyssey today and have me take Impreza.
What a hassle- we'd both have to adjust the seats and mirrors and steering wheels. Then we'd both have to adjust them back next time we take them. (She likes to have the side of the car in the mirrors  :confused:  :nono: ) and the seat too far forward and the steering wheel point up at her face).

I countered and we both drove 'our' cars. She says she likes the comfort and uprightness of Odyssey. I suggested looking for a CR-V or Rav4. She isn't too opposed.  I mean, Impreza is ok but it's uncomfortable for my back and doesn't get as good gas mileage as other cars and it's just no fun with a slushbox and low power.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 09, 2018, 02:11:22 PM
My guess is that the CEO is impatient for major YoY growth, and isn't happy with just incremental gains or steady marketshare.

The solution is clearly Blockchain.

LOL
Will

Laconian

You tend to hold onto cars for a while, right? Then a used CX5 might be good to look at. They sit up high, they drive pretty well for CUVs, and the residuals are lower so you can score one for a nice price.

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 09, 2018, 02:15:09 PM
(She likes to have the side of the car in the mirrors  :confused:  :nono: )

I have a bit of the side of my truck in my side mirrors, just for spacial reference (very convenient off-road so I'm not scraping on tight trails).  I'll face them out more at night so that I'm not getting headlights right in my eyes.  Or sometimes point them down towards the tires if I'm hXc0re wheeling and need to check tire placement...or just 'cause I like watchin' dat tire flex.

I always check my blind spots when changing lanes, and Taco has very good blind spot visibility.  I don't rely on my mirrors for that, I prefer to physically look.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 09, 2018, 02:31:34 PM
You tend to hold onto cars for a while, right? Then a used CX5 might be good to look at. They sit up high, they drive pretty well for CUVs, and the residuals are lower so you can score one for a nice price.

Umm, this should be fun.
TL;DR yes, we do keep our primary drivers pretty long. I'll have to check pricing on CX-5. We HATED the Murano we drove for a couple weeks this last summer, the angles were just weird so the cabin and front felt crowded. We both bashed our head on the A-pillar a couple times getting in. Seems the CR-V is not that angled and I have seen some in our price range for swapping with Impreza. (Around $10k, KBB for Impreza is $4500 for private party sale right now). 

How long I've had cars?...

Odyssey almost 4 years so far
Impreza 13yrs so far
Sienna 4+ (ex took it and sold it later)
Grand Caravan 4 yrs (totalled in accident)
Legacy 7 yrs
Chevy van just 2
Miata just 1 (divorce casualty)
CRX 2 yrs
Voyager 4 yrs
SHO 2 yrs (blew engine, someone offered free replacement, didn't have money to ship it to Germany.)
Premier 1 yr (electrical problems I was tired of)
Taurus 1 yr (went to Army)
Taurus 1 yr (totalled in accident)
Civic 3 yrs (went to Army)
Will

BimmerM3

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 09, 2018, 02:31:34 PM

They're definitely the best looking car in that segment, IMO. I might look at one if I decide to go through a garage shake-up in the spring.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 09, 2018, 03:16:28 PM
Wait really? Did you buy it new?

Wife did.

She laments she wished she'd gotten a manual. She just walked into the dealership wanting a Subaru "because they're good snow cars" and the salesman said she wouldn't want a manual. He steered her into "Red" and she's had it ever since. It does at least have the subwoofer, 6disc changer, and heated seats!
Will

AutobahnSHO

We've talked of buying a New car, that's just a ton of money though!
I'd get an Odyssey or Sienna (although I hate how the Yotas look). All the options. And keep it for 15+ years...

But then we've also floated the idea of getting a Tacoma so in a few years we can get a small camper.

Too many choices, not enough moneyz!  :mask:
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 09, 2018, 03:39:24 PM
Wife did.

She laments she wished she'd gotten a manual. She just walked into the dealership wanting a Subaru "because they're good snow cars" and the salesman said she wouldn't want a manual. He steered her into "Red" and she's had it ever since. It does at least have the subwoofer, 6disc changer, and heated seats!

:huh: It's had a great run.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on November 09, 2018, 03:42:25 PM
:huh: It's had a great run.

Except for the Dealership in GA not being able to figure out a headgasket issue, which kept causing massive overheating, which prompted us to replace the engine, YUP!! Just barely rolled 100k miles, when we got married in 2014 it only had 68k.

We even drove it from UT to SC fully loaded with a giant roofbox fully loaded with no issues except a windshield rockchip in Atlanta.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 09, 2018, 03:41:33 PM
Too many choices, not enough moneyz!  :mask:

Ain't that the truth. And these days, even the mid-generation refreshes can be massive due to technology upgrades. Just one more thing to complicate the shopping process if you want the newer tech.

12,000 RPM

If you can get a car in which you can swap out the radio, you can update the car. A lot of cars with complicated integrated radios have modules you can install as well.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Nice review. I love this guy's channel. He usually does Mercedes' and AMGs, but once in awhile he'll have something different.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW-muXaFOug
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

shp4man

This ignorant SOB. I suppose I should hope he actually gets $45K for this, but damn, how stupid does he think people are? This is the same as my truck. Bolded comments are mine.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/1966-chevrolet-stepside/6740615753.html

ALL REASONABLE OFFERS WILL BE CONSIDERED. MOTIVATED SELLER.
This is a rebuilt now rust free California restomod with full documentation to go with buyer.
▪   The original 231 motor was replaced long ago and now is powered by a JEGS new 350 crate motor at 260 plus horsepower with a 750 cfm Edlebrock carburetor with high rise Edlebrock manifold. It was a 230 or a 250 you ignorant shit.
▪   New paint in turquoise blue original Chevrolet color. Grandpa's farm truck has original look with two tone paint, off white bumpers, top with matching wheels, including the California side mirrors. All wheels, tires, drum brakes, shocks are new with original standard steering. The swing down tail gate with hidden stainless steel spring loaded latches, front fenders, hood panels, door steel replacement panels, front bed panel, and cab quarter panels/corner body assemblies are all new steel. Interior floor panels/support structure where needed were replaced with OEM metal. This is a rust free truck garaged since restored in 2015. When truck was painted it was done in pieces, totally disassembled so that paint wraps panels. That's not an OE 1966 color  :facepalm:
▪   Wood bed is custom which includes 1/2 inch treated plywood underlayment on rust oleum coated frame (hammer finish) followed by 1/8" oak plywood, finished with 1/2" oak boards. Each board is finished by hand in oak or mahogany stain installed in alternating colors then hand finished with teak oil.
▪   New windshield with original side glass having replaced both window lifts with new including new door hardware as OEM with new felts and window gaskets where needed. Ya. You paid some joker a bunch of cash for a 30 minute job with Chinese parts
▪   Utility box is made from original bed oak from 1966.
▪   Truck interior is finished in the off white which matches the off white of the truck exterior with piping and carpet matching the main color turquoise truck exterior. Check out the back of the front seat finished in matching turquoise floor carpeting. I vastly prefer the OEM Fawn color.
▪   New Flowmaster style side exhaust with sweet thrush sounds allow for joyful cruising. A new Retro sound system was added to provide the original look with modern sound.
▪   New custom parking brake system allows for secure parking. Too weak to pull the lever?
▪   JEGS automatic floor shifter adorns the fresh transmission rebuild. Couldn't find an OE automatic column, huh?
▪   Asking $49,999 and will consider offers. Cash only. Face to face. Are you out of your fucking mind?

CaminoRacer

Lol that's a super base 350 and an otherwise "decent build" truck. Worth like $15k.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

I think a lot of those people add in the cost of what they paid to restore the truck, and think that makes up a part of the market value.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 10, 2018, 04:56:19 PM
Lol that's a super base 350 and an otherwise "decent build" truck. Worth like $15k.
WORD!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on November 10, 2018, 07:11:25 PM
I think a lot of those people add in the cost of what they paid to restore the truck, and think that makes up a part of the market value.

Yup. When you have that much "blood, sweat, and tears" into it, you should know that you don't actually want to sell it for what it is.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on November 10, 2018, 07:11:25 PM

Yep. Many do.

Number one rule of restoration is you never get out of it what you put into it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Some examples of narrow roads here and why the Cadillac F650 XXL Laramie isn't selling here.  :tounge:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5