Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 22, 2018, 02:15:39 PM
If you're lucky, you might get it by Christmas :huh:.

:lol:

Well the salesman told me the car is actually arriving tomorrow (Friday) in the late afternoon. But the registration office will be closed and they also don't work on Saturday, so the car can only be registered on Monday.

I am currently not in Munich, but if I am back on Saturday I may visit the dealership just to see my new baby and take some snapshots.  :wub:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

You can now configure the A35 AMG 4Matic on the German Mercedes website. Instead I decided to configure two cars without the AMG Line body kit. Add these lovely 19" 5-Spoke wheels and wow, what a difference!  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

I wish all truck offroady tests were done with the same tires.  Stock sizes, but same model/tread.

12,000 RPM

Most car track tests run what ya brung. I only see control tires in motorcycle track tests.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 23, 2018, 02:15:31 AM
I wish all truck offroady tests were done with the same tires.  Stock sizes, but same model/tread.

I wish they'd do that for cars too. I'm sure cost is a large part of why they don't, plus it'd probably be hard to find a single model that's available in all sizes, especially for the really wide tires on higher end sports cars.

12,000 RPM

Most high end cars use the same tires so that's rarely an issue. Plus some work with tire manufacturers on car specific compounds. So it's a mixed bag. Thinking more about it I'd want to know how the car performs off the dealership floor.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 23, 2018, 12:18:37 PM
Most high end cars use the same tires so that's rarely an issue. Plus some work with tire manufacturers on car specific compounds. So it's a mixed bag. Thinking more about it I'd want to know how the car performs off the dealership floor.

Yeah, I guess it's a mixed bag. If somebody is really going to "use" their vehicle, they'll likely change tires anyway, whether it's for street or offroad.  Except for the high-enders that do come with hi-po street/offroad tires.

Which still, in some way, furthers my point...I think? :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 23, 2018, 12:18:37 PM
Thinking more about it I'd want to know how the car performs off the dealership floor.

Nah, not even close for me. I want to know how the vehicle that costs tens of thousands of dollars performs, not a wear item that can be replaced for a few hundred bucks.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 23, 2018, 12:39:38 PM
Nah, not even close for me. I want to know how the vehicle that costs tens of thousands of dollars performs, not a wear item that can be replaced for a few hundred bucks.
I mean, how far does that rabbithole go.... you can replace brakes, suspension, air filter etc...

Most people aren't gonna do that. Look how angry the 'SPIN gets when mods are brought up.

Laconian

During thanksgiving my parents were SO STOKED about their upcoming 3. My parents are ascetics by choice, always saving, never indulging. The 3's creature comforts and driving abilities are dazzling to them. My dad's wondering aloud when he'll never need "all that torque" (lol).

They'll take delivery of it today.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

93JC

Laconian

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on November 23, 2018, 03:00:56 PM
During thanksgiving my parents were SO STOKED about their upcoming 3. My parents are ascetics by choice, always saving, never indulging. The 3's creature comforts and driving abilities are dazzling to them. My dad's wondering aloud when he'll never need "all that torque" (lol).

They'll take delivery of it today.
I wish them much excitement and happiness with their new wheels :ohyeah:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Can you get a Mazda 3 or even cx3 with cooled or ventilated seats?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Laconian

68_427

Ah.  My mom hasn't bought a brand new car since her Vega in the 70's and she wants to splurge with something like a Mazda 3 or other compact hatch 😂.

Maybe they'll be added with the new generation.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

If only the Civic weren't hideous.............................................

cawimmer430

If you love Star Wars this intro will make you smile.  :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZa9Vc7xBps

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 23, 2018, 02:58:32 PM
I mean, how far does that rabbithole go.... you can replace brakes, suspension, air filter etc...

Most people aren't gonna do that. Look how angry the 'SPIN gets when mods are brought up.

"Most people" also don't read reviews where the cars are driven hard enough for tires to matter. Brakes and air filters honestly wouldn't be a bad idea either, though it seems like they'd have a smaller impact on overall performance numbers. 

Suspension mods are not even close to the same thing.

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 23, 2018, 10:02:44 PM
If only the Civic weren't hideous.............................................

That's literally the only compact hatch she's never even mentioned or said anything about.
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 24, 2018, 04:26:44 AM
"Most people" also don't read reviews where the cars are driven hard enough for tires to matter. Brakes and air filters honestly wouldn't be a bad idea either, though it seems like they'd have a smaller impact on overall performance numbers. 

Suspension mods are not even close to the same thing.
How are suspension mods not the same thing? Shocks are wear items too.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 24, 2018, 04:49:23 AM
How are suspension mods not the same thing? Shocks are wear items too.

Suspension mods more significantly change the way a car feels and are largely done (or not done) for subjective reasons on street cars. For the most part, these differences between cars are already captured well enough by the review itself.

Tires and brakes obviously do have some effect on subjective feel, but in general, they have a bigger effect on raw performance numbers - a Miata is gonna be fun whether it's on crappy or great tires, but it'll have a big difference on the skidpad. Plus, I think it's more likely that people will go for non-stock tires than non-stock suspension components when it's time to replace them.

So standardized tires would make it easier to accurately compare performance numbers without having as much effect on the subjective side.

If those aren't good enough reasons, then just go with "that's what I arbitrarily decided." :huh:

Soup DeVille

Yes, let's do comparison tests for new cars on spec tires and custom suspensions; because that's the sort of information a guy wants to know when he buys a new car: gee, I wonder how this will handle if I replace the factory bits with a bunch of random aftermarket parts.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Dafuq!? 1979 Chevrolet Citation tested by a German car magazine Autotest. Interesting because to my knowledge the Citation was never officially sold in Europe.

Watching it now. This Citation is in Germany. A few features broke or failed during the test and some of the interior trim bits are already falling off.  :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GANcs2sxcH8

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 24, 2018, 07:53:45 AM
Dafuq!? 1979 Chevrolet Citation tested by a German car magazine Autotest. Interesting because to my knowledge the Citation was never officially sold in Europe.

Watching it now. This Citation is in Germany. A few features broke or failed during the test and some of the interior trim bits are already falling off.  :lol:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GANcs2sxcH8

I like how thorough that test was. They really beat the crap out of that Citation. I don't speak German, but it sounds like they hated it and all American cars. It is slow, the doors are sagging already, and the hubcaps fall off all the time ... but fuel economy is okay.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 24, 2018, 08:12:39 AM
I like how thorough that test was. They really beat the crap out of that Citation. I don't speak German, but it sounds like they hated it and all American cars. It is slow, the doors are sagging already, and the hubcaps fall off all the time ... but fuel economy is okay.

They praised the innovation (transverse engine, FWD), the comfort, the interior and boot space. This Citation was powered by the 2.8 V6, which they liked. They said it was relatively peppy, but when you accelerated and turned on the A/C the car would take 15 seconds to reach 100 km/h instead of 13 seconds. :lol:

They also liked the value-for-money. A big car with decent features for little money. Fuel economy was respectable and perfectly fine, except in the city (duh!).

This Citation with only 6,000 km, had some interior trim fall off. The drive belt of the alternator broke and the mechanism to release the foot-operated parking brake snapped preventing the release of the parking brake. They said refueling the Citation takes a long time because there is no "air vent" system in the fuel tank. The automatic transmission was both praised and criticized. Praised for being quiet, but criticized for sometimes downshifting while cruising at 120 km/h on the Autobahn.

Reading through the comments, one guy claimed these were sold in Europe, but mainly in Switzerland. That makes sense since Switzerland always had a unique car market compared to the rest of Europe.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 24, 2018, 07:32:30 AM
Suspension mods more significantly change the way a car feels and are largely done (or not done) for subjective reasons on street cars. For the most part, these differences between cars are already captured well enough by the review itself.

Tires and brakes obviously do have some effect on subjective feel, but in general, they have a bigger effect on raw performance numbers - a Miata is gonna be fun whether it's on crappy or great tires, but it'll have a big difference on the skidpad. Plus, I think it's more likely that people will go for non-stock tires than non-stock suspension components when it's time to replace them.

So standardized tires would make it easier to accurately compare performance numbers without having as much effect on the subjective side.

If those aren't good enough reasons, then just go with "that's what I arbitrarily decided." :huh:

I base it on SCCA rules. Street/stock class allows tire changes and no one would show up with factory tires and expect to win. It's the very first thing you do to prep. You're allowed to change pads and shocks (but not upgrade to coilovers), but those are further down the priority list. Tires are cheap and easy. It's like what color shirt you wear.

In comparison tests, I'm interested in knowing what cars are gonna be the best when an owner brings it to an autox or track day with minimal prep. AKA bringing appropriate tires and that's about it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

93JC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 24, 2018, 07:53:45 AM

The taillights on the one in the video are different; it looks like this was a European-market car...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 24, 2018, 08:54:19 AM
They praised the innovation (transverse engine, FWD), the comfort, the interior and boot space. This Citation was powered by the 2.8 V6, which they liked. They said it was relatively peppy, but when you accelerated and turned on the A/C the car would take 15 seconds to reach 100 km/h instead of 13 seconds. :lol:

They also liked the value-for-money. A big car with decent features for little money. Fuel economy was respectable and perfectly fine, except in the city (duh!).

This Citation with only 6,000 km, had some interior trim fall off. The drive belt of the alternator broke and the mechanism to release the foot-operated parking brake snapped preventing the release of the parking brake. They said refueling the Citation takes a long time because there is no "air vent" system in the fuel tank. The automatic transmission was both praised and criticized. Praised for being quiet, but criticized for sometimes downshifting while cruising at 120 km/h on the Autobahn.

Reading through the comments, one guy claimed these were sold in Europe, but mainly in Switzerland. That makes sense since Switzerland always had a unique car market compared to the rest of Europe.

These problems should have been expected when driving the Citation past where the numbers turn red on the speedometer.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 24, 2018, 05:17:59 PM
These problems should have been expected when driving the Citation past where the numbers turn red on the speedometer.

Yeah; why they do that?

I'd figure the Europeans were immune from the 85 MPH speedostupidity.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator