Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Laconian

A high school friend of mine moved there and then transitioned to female.

"Woohstah"!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

So apparently the Citation was mainly sold in Switzerland and in the Benelux countries. Basically it was a very small niche and I doubt GM even made a profit on the Citations they sold here.

So, picking up my new car on Tuesday. Finally!  :rockon:

It's already at the dealership but the registration papers were sent through mail and will only arrive in the late afternoon today. Why are the papers not... um... inside the car while it is being transported via truck to the dealership? That actually makes... you know... SENSE... and seems.... LOGICAL.  :confused:

At any rate, I'm finally, FINALLY, going to get my new baby!  :wub:

For Laconian! Vive la France!  :rockon:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKRS0YT6-xk
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

68_427

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 25, 2018, 09:03:23 PM
I do not recommend going over 85 in GA. It's an extra $200 on top of local fines if you're ticketed. Glad it went well for you though lol

https://www.gahighwaysafety.org/campaigns/super-speeder-law/

I made sure I was never the lead car 😂
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

12,000 RPM

I got clipped with a cluster of cars in VA doing 92 in the Z. It was me, an X5 and like 4 other cars. I should have known better in VA
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

68_427

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 26, 2018, 07:04:01 AM
I got clipped with a cluster of cars in VA doing 92 in the Z. It was me, an X5 and like 4 other cars. I should have known better in VA

You were very clearly racing in your coupe
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Woah.  Big news today.  GM closing multiple plants.  Sounds like they're getting out of the car game too based on which plants are closing.  Cruze is definitely dead.  Maybe Impala too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

shp4man

Plymouth, Mercury, Olds, Pontiac and now most sedans in general. Damn. RIP.  ;)

Is America really on board with nothing but boxy station wagon like vehicles of all sizes?

giant_mtb

Maybe if our roads weren't total shit, more people would be okay with sedans and thin tires.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 68_427 on November 25, 2018, 01:46:24 PM
There are brand new C7s out there in the mid - upper 40's
:dance:

Quote from: shp4man on November 26, 2018, 09:12:20 AM
Plymouth, Mercury, Olds, Pontiac and now most sedans in general. Damn. RIP.  ;)

Is America really on board with nothing but boxy station wagon like vehicles of all sizes?
Looks like that's where we are headed! SMH!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on November 26, 2018, 09:03:15 AM
Woah.  Big news today.  GM closing multiple plants.  Sounds like they're getting out of the car game too based on which plants are closing.  Cruze is definitely dead.  Maybe Impala too.

I saw that- that's huge. Makes me sad.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

Are they keeping the Sonic at least?

Impala and Malibu are super close, so that's OK. I feel like Sonic to Malibu is a big leap though. The Cruze fit in nicely there.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Can they just get rid of everything except Camaro/Corvette? And then make a 4 door wagon version of each.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 26, 2018, 09:14:01 AM
Maybe if our roads weren't total shit, more people would be okay with sedans and thin tires.

Instead, we get jacked up wagons on thin tires. The tire is dead, man. The people have spoken, and they want giant rimz.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 26, 2018, 09:49:24 AM
Are they keeping the Sonic at least?

Impala and Malibu are super close, so that's OK. I feel like Sonic to Malibu is a big leap though. The Cruze fit in nicely there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sonic is axed, or grows.

MrH

I'm guessing they're going to ax almost all small to medium sized cars, similar to Ford.  Lordstown is a long time coming.  Makes only Cruzes, and was barely moving at 1 shift a day.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I would wager they learned from Hackett's PR mistakes. Still, very bigly bad. Feels like 06, and I don't think the big 3 have learned anything or positioned themselves for another downturn. And our BDD in chief will absolutely positively NOT bail them out.....

2o6

I wouldn't be surprised if GM does decide to offer a small car; it'll be something the originated in China or Latin America. Mexico in particular is getting cars like the Chevy Cavalier; which is a SAIC-GM design, and I think made locally in Mexico.

Also, the Spark seems to be selling profitably.

2o6

Side note, this is high key scary. Expensive luxury compacts are at an all time high, but supply of actual affordable, economical cars is dwindling. CUV's get better MPG than they used to, but at the end f the day you can't beat physics, and they generally get worse real world economy compared to a car shape.

I can't picture ever spending 45k on something like an A-class, yet people do. A Trax Premiere is like 28k list price, and it still has the same iron-block 1.4T as my car, and aside from an automatic and a sunroof, is equipped identical to my Sonic LTZ. I can't picture paying nearly 30k for a worse version of my car.

At least Honda, toyota, and Mazda are offering economical well made small cars.

giant_mtb

I saw a GLE or GLC coupe thing when I was downstate for Thanksgiving.  Couldn't believe something that ugly had a 3-pointy star on it.  One of the most confused-about-what-it-is looking vehicles I've seen in a while.

r0tor

I find it odd they are concentrating on electrics/hybrids/autonomous vehicles of the future and apparently axing the Volt

Seems a bit assbackwards
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

93JC

Quote from: MrH on November 26, 2018, 10:37:14 AM
I'm guessing they're going to ax almost all small to medium sized cars, similar to Ford.  Lordstown is a long time coming.  Makes only Cruzes, and was barely moving at 1 shift a day.

I'd be more surprised if they didn't axe the larger cars. The Cruze is also built in Mexico (and China...); the other assembly plants that they've "unallocated"—Detroit-Hamtramck and Oshawa—make the Impala, XTS, CT6 and Lacrosse.

2o6

Also, why is everyone leaning into Autonomous driving? At best, we've got advanced cruise control. None of these systems at the moment are capable of doing anywhere near as much as the stockholders would lead you to believe.

I mean, I have enough trouble with the Lyft driver app; i can't imagine that awful app actually controlling where my car goes.

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 26, 2018, 10:59:46 AM
I saw a GLE or GLC coupe thing when I was downstate for Thanksgiving.  Couldn't believe something that ugly had a 3-pointy star on it.  One of the most confused-about-what-it-is looking vehicles I've seen in a while.

Vindication for the folks who designed the AMC Eagle, I suppose...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 26, 2018, 11:07:19 AM
Also, why is everyone leaning into Autonomous driving? At best, we've got advanced cruise control. None of these systems at the moment are capable of doing anywhere near as much as the stockholders would lead you to believe.

I mean, I have enough trouble with the Lyft driver app; i can't imagine that awful app actually controlling where my car goes.
It's 100% to placate the stock market, which is picking stocks based on Tech Bubble Bingo™. The markets are not- hell, nowhere near- 100% rational

But to be fair, as GM's troubles and market trends show, it's basically pointless for domestic companies to invest in small cars. The Cruze is every bit as good as the Corolla for the average buyer, but sells for way less money. Add the legacy costs and the domestics can't effing win.

Quote from: MX793 on November 26, 2018, 11:07:20 AM
Vindication for the folks who designed the AMC Eagle, I suppose...
The ZDX has been vindicated (and needs to return + replace the RLX IMO)

MrH

Quote from: 93JC on November 26, 2018, 11:04:57 AM
I'd be more surprised if they didn't axe the larger cars. The Cruze is also built in Mexico (and China...); the other assembly plants that they've "unallocated"—Detroit-Hamtramck and Oshawa—make the Impala, XTS, CT6 and Lacrosse.

Does Mexico build just the hatchback or the sedan too?  The big ones from Hamtramck and Oshawa are definitely dead.  I guess there's a shot the Cruze lives on on tiny volume from Mexico.

Quote from: 2o6 on November 26, 2018, 11:07:19 AM

Because it's game over if one company successfully pulls it off.  Tons of people will immediately go throw $50k at the first company to do it.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

93JC

Quote from: MrH on November 26, 2018, 11:54:25 AM
Does Mexico build just the hatchback or the sedan too?  The big ones from Hamtramck and Oshawa are definitely dead.  I guess there's a shot the Cruze lives on on tiny volume from Mexico.

I believe the plant in Mexico builds both hatchbacks and sedans, but the sedans were not exported north of the border (or at least only in limited number) almost solely for political reasons.

12,000 RPM

If a company pulls it off, it's not going to be even remotely close to any time soon. And I think everyone, maybe including the market, knows this. The conventional car companies with the weakest market performance are the ones with the weakest current car sales performance. So D3 should be focusing there. They don't have the runway to fake the autonomous funk for the decade$ it will take for anyone to pull off a legit autonomous car. I'm honestly not sure such a thing will come to be in our lifetimes frankly.

shp4man

They do seem to be betting on an autonomous future for cars. Think they know something we don't?

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 26, 2018, 11:51:58 AM
The ZDX has been vindicated (and needs to return + replace the RLX IMO)

The ZDX was and will always be terrible. Huge car, shitty rear passenger compartment made for Japanese-sized bodies.

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on November 26, 2018, 11:01:38 AM
I find it odd they are concentrating on electrics/hybrids/autonomous vehicles of the future and apparently axing the Volt

Seems a bit assbackwards
They're axing the Volt? Fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk