Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Galaxy

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 26, 2018, 02:22:37 PM
What happens when the gub'ment decides to make human-driven vehicles illegal or prohibitively expensive because they're "dangerous." 

I could see them doing that in particular areas such as city centers, but I don't think it'll be everywhere until all the kinks have truly been worked out.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 26, 2018, 12:24:21 PM
Whoever gets the software right, and accepted by the buying public first will eventually have a near monopoly on the market, ala Google. They're willing to risk some segments.

It's truly a software issue - which is what software companies will figure out after massive buckets of money and hoards of programmers and AI.  The D3 are not software companies. They should be focusing on building cars and buy the software.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on November 26, 2018, 04:30:28 PM
It's truly a software issue - which is what software companies will figure out after massive buckets of money and hoards of programmers and AI.  The D3 are not software companies. They should be focusing on building cars and buy the software.

But they want- maybe even need the rights to that software.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

A good article...Rethinking car software and electronics architecture

A really interesting field for someone with an aptitude for software development starting out in their career.  I'd love it myself.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 26, 2018, 02:42:33 PM
It would make sense for someone like Hyundai to take over the Oshawa facilities.  Currently, they are selling well here and have no manufacturing facilities.

GM has been a bad partner in Ontario for years, threatening to pull out, accepting bailouts and, finally, just walking away.

Interesting that you named Hyundai. I'm also kind of surprised they don't have a plant here; they're definitely the biggest players in Canada that don't have a local plant. (They used to: they had one in Quebec, which opened in 1989 to build the first-generation Sonata. Sales were piss-poor and they closed it in 1993.)

Laconian

Re: the Volt, I'm kind of not surprised it was cancelled. The stylists ruined it by giving it poor visibility and an unsafe roofline in the back. My head protruded into the recess for the rear windshield. In the event of an accident my head would be whiplashed into the top metal portion of the roof.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

It's probably going to get streamlined into the Bolt, and the Buick Velite 6; which is a PHEV in China that has nothing to do with the Volt. (No T shaped battery)

12,000 RPM

How are you holding up 2o6

This is not a good day for GM
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 26, 2018, 07:30:35 PM
How are you holding up 2o6

This is not a good day for GM

Nah, I'm gucci. The Cruze will probably be shipped in from Mexico, and the other cars I never gave a shit about.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 26, 2018, 02:09:59 PM
I feel there's a legal way for the owner to assume liability. Otherwise, yes, you're absolutely right.
How can an owner assume liability over a car they have no control over?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 27, 2018, 04:57:02 AM
How can an owner assume liability over a car they have no control over?

Same as they do with a pet.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

You should have some control over a pet. You can reasonably keep your dog from biting someone. If your self driving car w/no override goes haywire, what's your course of action for keeping it from killing somebody (or yourself)?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 27, 2018, 05:00:50 AM
You should have some control over a pet. You can reasonably keep your dog from biting someone. If your self driving car w/no override goes haywire, what's your course of action for keeping it from killing somebody (or yourself)?

Rolled up newspaper, on the nose.

It would be a legal solution, not necessarily one that makes sense.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 27, 2018, 05:03:26 AM
Rolled up newspaper, on the nose.

It would be a legal solution, not necessarily one that makes sense.

There is only one problem with that: nobody reads newspapers anymore.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 27, 2018, 07:13:34 AM
There is only one problem with that: nobody reads newspapers anymore.

I'm selling newspaper by the pound. 1000s of uses. Handiest thing ever. 

shp4man

In the future, I would think most people wouldn't own a car. Just request one with your communication device, all billing done automatically. Guaranteed less than 5 minute wait time or the ride's free!
Think of all that extra space you get by converting your old 20th century house garage space!

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on November 27, 2018, 07:57:49 AM
In the future, I would think most people wouldn't own a car. Just request one with your communication device, all billing done automatically. Guaranteed less than 5 minute wait time or the ride's free!
Think of all that extra space you get by converting your old 20th century house garage space!
I agree... problem is manufacturers are acting like they will have it ready tomorrow to keep their stocks from falling further. We are decades out from that kind of tech

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 27, 2018, 07:34:54 AM
I'm selling newspaper by the pound. 1000s of uses. Handiest thing ever.

This is a grate idea. You can roll it up and beat the dog. Lay it flat and put it under the dog. Pack fragile items for shipping. Wrap gifts. Do papier-mâché. Clean windows. It's an eco friendly, renewable resource.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 27, 2018, 11:44:22 AM
This is a grate idea. You can roll it up and beat the dog. Lay it flat and put it under the dog. Pack fragile items for shipping. Wrap gifts. Do papier-mâché. Clean windows. It's an eco friendly, renewable resource.
Works well for the outhouse also.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

68_427

Ruined.  Looks like an ant eater
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Ugly.  Literally a Pilot with a few inches lopped off the rear.
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Ugly.  Literally a Pilot with a few inches lopped off the rear.

Hahahaha I laughed so hard

2o6

Are....are those pilot rear doors?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2018, 06:24:19 PM

The consumer reports article on Yahoo I just read said it's in between the Pilot and "compact" CR-V. Sounds like it really is the Pilot, shortened, with a little tiny bit more off-roadability.
Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 27, 2018, 06:27:03 PM
The consumer reports article on Yahoo I just read said it's in between the Pilot and "compact" CR-V. Sounds like it really is the Pilot, shortened, with a little tiny bit more off-roadability.

Yeah, from the c-pillar forward they look identical. Like, they share body stampings.

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on November 27, 2018, 06:24:19 PM

Everything after the headlights, and before the Dpillar in Honda Pilot

'racecar is die'
no

FoMoJo

Too much Utility and not enough Sport.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2018, 05:55:14 PM

Ruined.  Looks like an ant eater

Is that real or a photoshopped image?

I think it looks pretty good.