Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 27, 2019, 05:43:02 PM
Being driven through Italy, my impression was that there was a haze of testosterone floating above the roadways; even from women on scooters.

hahah yes every inch of road is a racetrack there.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2019, 07:53:33 PM
That is dangerous as all get out.

I was in German traffic in a stupid US minivan when the driver hit the 120mph limiter. It cut power completely till we got back down to like 90mph.

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS- if you're in a heavier car you're going to coast into a little beater that decelerates more quickly.

That's IF all cars cut at the same exact spot.

:confused:

The brakes still work. 

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 27, 2019, 05:43:02 PM
Being driven through Italy, my impression was that there was a haze of testosterone floating above the roadways; even from women on scooters.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2019, 07:54:05 PM
hahah yes every inch of road is a racetrack there.

It was around 12 years ago and my wife and I had rented a Smart fortwo car. We were in Florence and were driving the Chianti road to these very small quaint towns. The smart car had recently come out, the auto trans sucked, and every day I would get yelled at, at one time or another, by these super aggressive Italian drivers. Somehow I don't see them going for this nanny state automatic speed limiter.  Maybe a decade has changed everything.  Maybe Ferrari is now looked down upon as irresponsible by the average European. 

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2019, 07:53:33 PM
That is dangerous as all get out.

I was in German traffic in a stupid US minivan when the driver hit the 120mph limiter. It cut power completely till we got back down to like 90mph.

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS- if you're in a heavier car you're going to coast into a little beater that decelerates more quickly.

That's IF all cars cut at the same exact spot.

How is that any more dangerous than when a highway's speed limit changes and some people let off the gas so that they are right at the new limit when they reach the sign, some don't slow until after they reach the sign, and some even apply brakes?  I don't see pileups on the local interstate where the limit drops from 65 to 45 as it passes through downtown.

And the behavior of the old Caravan's limiter is not typical.  Most cars don't shed 30, or even 10, mph before reapplying power when the limiter is reached.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on March 28, 2019, 04:57:08 AM
How is that any more dangerous than when a highway's speed limit changes and some people let off the gas so that they are right at the new limit when they reach the sign, some don't slow until after they reach the sign, and some even apply brakes?  I don't see pileups on the local interstate where the limit drops from 65 to 45 as it passes through downtown.

And the behavior of the old Caravan's limiter is not typical.  Most cars don't shed 30, or even 10, mph before reapplying power when the limiter is reached.

The Grand Am (maybe it was an '00?) would cut power at like 115 and you would have to take your foot off the pedal and put it back on to get power back. If you didn't, it didn't matter how long you coasted with the pedal mashed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 28, 2019, 05:05:16 AM
The Grand Am (maybe it was an '00?) would cut power at like 115 and you would have to take your foot off the pedal and put it back on to get power back. If you didn't, it didn't matter how long you coasted with the pedal mashed.

I would chalk that up to lazy programming or somebody thought it was a safety feature in the event of a stuck throttle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on March 28, 2019, 05:57:48 AM
I would chalk that up to lazy programming or somebody thought it was a safety feature in the event of a stuck throttle.

Don't know. Just saying the Caravan might have done something similar.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

The speed limiter system is the same adaptive cruise control that is already on board many cars. It is just becoming mandatory.

It can be overridden with the gas pedal.

It can be shut off completely. It needs to be active with every engine start though. 

12,000 RPM

No, I'm pretty sure it's undefeatable and will only work with WOT or full brake lockup. EU wants to discourage people from driving so they are looking to kill everyone on the road.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

I need more money for a Camaro 1LE. Even the V6 would be fine. $36k though. (Probably $46k for the V8?)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Spoiler alert: He doesn't drive it because he doesn't fit. :(

https://youtu.be/REFhjdnIFjE

12,000 RPM

That big ass car and he can't fit? It's a real shocker why these didn't sell lmao.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2019, 05:38:02 PM

Skip to 23:37 to watch him try though. :lol:

EDIT: It's also apparently one of those cars where the factory sets your seating position, and he thinks that he could fit if they moved it back all the way.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on March 28, 2019, 05:47:34 PM
That big ass car and he can't fit? It's a real shocker why these didn't sell lmao.

Non-movable seat that is set up for ze specific owner.

MX793

A lot of that car's length is for aero.  Just look at how much hangs off past the rear wheels.  Like the old long tail McClaren F1s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

giant_mtb

How do you guys pronounce Saleen?  Doug there pronounces it like "saline," but I always said it like "suh-LEEN."

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on March 28, 2019, 07:31:30 PM
A lot of that car's length is for aero.  Just look at how much hangs off past the rear wheels.  Like the old long tail McClaren F1s.

Also the footwells are tiny, which doesn't help long-legged folk. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2019, 08:06:25 PM
How do you guys pronounce Saleen?  Doug there pronounces it like "saline," but I always said it like "suh-LEEN."

Like you, and I've worked with guys from Saleen who said it the same way, so I assume its correct.

Nissan guys however say Nis-San, not NEE-sahn like I've always said it.

Eye of the Tiger

Saline, because I think it's a stupid name.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2019, 08:08:48 PM

Driver is not allowed to have a left leg. Ok.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 28, 2019, 08:09:31 PM
Like you, and I've worked with guys from Saleen who said it the same way, so I assume its correct.

Nissan guys however say Nis-San, not NEE-sahn like I've always said it.

Yeah, I don't know anybody that pronounces Nissan any other way than NEE-sahn. But I have indeed also heard foreigners or others say it like "nissin" or like you said.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 28, 2019, 08:13:42 PM
Driver is not allowed to have a left leg. Ok.

Left leg belongs on the clutch anyways. :lol:

I always loved the S7. Was right around the time I really started getting into cars and playing racing vidjea gamez.

93JC

Saleen S7s are shockingly tiny in person.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2019, 05:38:02 PM

https://youtu.be/REFhjdnIFjE
The build interior quality on that car looks like shit! The Exposed wires and that column/steering wheel setup looks like a cheap kit car! No way I'd spend 400K on that!! And the fuel door is off a damn motorcycle!  :facepalm:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Galaxy

Land Rover is testing the new Defender on the Nürburgring. I hope they have their priorities sorted.  :mask:

FoMoJo

I've always heard it pronounced Sah-LEEN.

Impressive car for the time.  All carbon fiber. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on March 29, 2019, 12:05:30 AM
Land Rover is testing the new Defender on the Nürburgring. I hope they have their priorities sorted.  :mask:
Hopefully they have tested the speed limiter.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 29, 2019, 07:27:46 AM
I've always heard it pronounced Sah-LEEN.

Impressive car for the time.  All carbon fiber. 

The body is all carbon fiber, but the chassis is old school steel and al-you-mini-um. The last of an era.

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 28, 2019, 08:08:48 PM

Seeing that just makes me go "WHAT THE F*CK WERE THEY THINKING?"  :confused:

One of the most important things about driving to me is a comfortable seating/driving position. This car looks to be undriveable, even for small people and whose left leg just happens to be a foot shorter than their right leg...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb