Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

HurricaneSteve

How was the first generation CX-5 overrated? It gave up some interior space to the CRV but beyond that it was just as reliable, nearly as fuel efficient but drove better and hit 0-60 faster.

Quote from: 2o6 on April 16, 2019, 09:53:29 AM

The CX-5 gen 1 is overrated. The CR-V is a better car

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 16, 2019, 11:38:45 AM
How was the CX-5 overrated?

Not enough interior space.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

HurricaneSteve

That begs the question though, how much interior space does one need? And what are they giving up to get that? Personally I think they made the right choice to prioritize exterior design, driving dynamics and a decent amount of space instead of detailing their CUV like a homely box.

I still contend that if all of this was done at the expense of reliability and usability then absolutely it is/was overrated but nowdays their quality ratings rival and in some cases surpass Honda so I think what Mazda produces is an excellent alternative.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 16, 2019, 11:39:21 AM
Not enough interior space.

FoMoJo

Does America really want a small Volkswagen sort of pick-up looking thing?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/motoring-shows/volkswagen-shows-tarok-concept-to-see-if-america-wants-a-small-pickup-again/ar-BBVXpXQ?ocid=spartandhp

Volkswagen Shows Tarok Concept to See If America Wants a Small Pickup Again

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

SJ_GTI

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 16, 2019, 11:46:50 AM
That begs the question though, how much interior space does one need? And what are they giving up to get that? Personally I think they made the right choice to prioritize exterior design, driving dynamics and a decent amount of space instead of detailing their CUV like a homely box.

I still contend that if all of this was done at the expense of reliability and usability then absolutely it is/was overrated but nowdays their quality ratings rival and in some cases surpass Honda so I think what Mazda produces is an excellent alternative.

It was just a joke.  :lol:

HurricaneSteve

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 16, 2019, 11:57:10 AM
Does America really want a small Volkswagen sort of pick-up looking thing?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/motoring-shows/volkswagen-shows-tarok-concept-to-see-if-america-wants-a-small-pickup-again/ar-BBVXpXQ?ocid=spartandhp

Volkswagen Shows Tarok Concept to See If America Wants a Small Pickup Again

America never liked the tiny-payload sort of pickup, like the Brat or the Baja. Why does everything have to be a freakin' crew cab?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 16, 2019, 11:38:45 AM
How was the first generation CX-5 overrated? It gave up some interior space to the CRV but beyond that it was just as reliable, nearly as fuel efficient but drove better and hit 0-60 faster.

"Drove better" is subjective; all of these things drive like houses. It also doesn't feel as nice or as well made as the Honda or Toyota.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on April 16, 2019, 12:13:14 PM

"Drove better" is subjective; all of these things drive like houses. It also doesn't feel as nice or as well made as the Honda or Toyota.

CX-5 drives like a Sports House.

MX793

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 16, 2019, 12:20:20 PM
CX-5 drives like a Sports House.

It's built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

HurricaneSteve

You're right, it is subjective. However virtually every automotive publication in the US (including Car & Driver and Consumer Reports) commented that the CX-5 had the best driving dynamics in the segment. As far as the interior goes, I believe the 2016 refresh did upgrade the materials but I've only spent time in a second gen CX-5 over the last couple of years so I couldn't tell you what was changed.

Quote from: 2o6 on April 16, 2019, 12:13:14 PM

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 16, 2019, 12:26:41 PM
You're right, it is subjective. However virtually every automotive publication in the US (including Car & Driver and Consumer Reports) commented that the CX-5 had the best driving dynamics in the segment. As far as the interior goes, I believe the 2016 refresh did upgrade the materials but I've only spent time in a second gen CX-5 over the last couple of years so I couldn't tell you what was changed.

It's *okay*.

It's not a bad car in the slightest, but Mazda isn't perfect. Lots of switchgear in the Cx-5 MK1 is cheap. The MT is nothing special. The cornering is sportier than the Honda or Toyota, but in a car that's already compromised, who cares? It's fine.

But it wouldn't earn my money.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on April 16, 2019, 12:40:22 PM

It's *okay*.

It's not a bad car in the slightest, but Mazda isn't perfect. Lots of switchgear in the Cx-5 MK1 is cheap. The MT is nothing special. The cornering is sportier than the Honda or Toyota, but in a car that's already compromised, who cares? It's fine.

Mazda doesn't use a box of spinning shit that is the CVT

CaminoRacer

2018 CX-5 is very nice inside

giant_mtb

Most new cars are pretty damn nice these days.  The materials have come a long way from the plastics of old.

HurricaneSteve

No of course Mazda isn't perfect, they have one of the smallest R&D budgets in the industry so their cars will have some compromises (like switchgear). That having been said, the reliability of the CX-5 matches Toyota and exceeds Honda (particularly the new generation) and while they don't offer a manual anymore, I don't think either Honda or Toyota did at all. And I think it means something when a non-enthusiast publication like Consumer Reports has the 2019 CX-5 rated higher than both the 2019 CR-V and 2019 RAV4 overall.

Quote from: 2o6 on April 16, 2019, 12:40:22 PM

It's *okay*.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 16, 2019, 01:52:58 PM
Most new cars are pretty damn nice these days.  The materials have come a long way from the plastics of old.

Yeah, compared to what I drive now any new car is fantastic :lol:

HurricaneSteve

Older cars are great!

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 16, 2019, 02:02:03 PM
Yeah, compared to what I drive now any new car is fantastic :lol:

2o6

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on April 16, 2019, 01:58:05 PM
No of course Mazda isn't perfect, they have one of the smallest R&D budgets in the industry so their cars will have some compromises (like switchgear). That having been said, the reliability of the CX-5 matches Toyota and exceeds Honda (particularly the new generation) and while they don't offer a manual anymore, I don't think either Honda or Toyota did at all. And I think it means something when a non-enthusiast publication like Consumer Reports has the 2019 CX-5 rated higher than both the 2019 CR-V and 2019 RAV4 overall.

Okay.  :huh:

cawimmer430

Summer wheels and tires coming on this Thursday.  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 16, 2019, 02:11:37 PM
Summer wheels and tires coming on this Thursday.  :wub:

You should post before and after pics. I think I actually might like your winter wheels more.  :lol:

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 16, 2019, 02:29:15 PM
You should post before and after pics. I think I actually might like your winter wheels more.  :lol:
I suggested that he get the black chrome rims, but he wouldn't listen to me :huh:.

CALL_911

https://www.rallyebmw.com/inventory/used-2016-bmw-3-series-340i-xdrive-awd-4dr-car-wba8b7c59gk487224

I've been looking into getting this 3-series and I got them down to 31.5k but I got cold feet and told the dealer I needed a day or two to think about it. Is this thing gonna bleed me dry with maintenance and such? I like the car itself a lot, but I worry about it getting very expensive down the road.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 16, 2019, 04:06:26 PM
https://www.rallyebmw.com/inventory/used-2016-bmw-3-series-340i-xdrive-awd-4dr-car-wba8b7c59gk487224

I've been looking into getting this 3-series and I got them down to 31.5k but I got cold feet and told the dealer I needed a day or two to think about it. Is this thing gonna bleed me dry with maintenance and such? I like the car itself a lot, but I worry about it getting very expensive down the road.

Autotragic? :devil:

CALL_911

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 16, 2019, 04:12:05 PM
Autotragic? :devil:

Nah it's a manual- they have it incorrectly listed

2004 S2000
2016 340xi