Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 27, 2019, 03:24:20 PM
So I assume that's...Tahoe-based?  I've always thought a Tahoe would make a good, modern, full-size wheeler.  Especially if it was offered with a locker and such.
It's based on the Canyon.

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 27, 2019, 04:21:28 PM
Any news on the Jimmy?  Used to be a Blazer twin if I remember correctly.

Hopefully, the Jimmy will be a real SUV rather than CUV.  A little competition for the upcoming Bronco.
Not much! 3.6 V6 and a 30K price tag was the only real stats. It was in 25 Vehicles worth waiting for in this months (May) C&D.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

3.6 is not a good truck engine.

r0tor

My uncle just got a new Ram truck... The screen in that thing is just so fucking obnoxious - especially at night.  Also it's about 90% worthless and completely unneeded.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 27, 2019, 08:21:53 PM
My uncle just got a new Ram truck... The screen in that thing is just so fucking obnoxious - especially at night.  Also it's about 90% worthless and completely unneeded.

Its the first thing the radio ads on it mention here; a touchscreen that's a whole foot wide!

Nothing about payload or towing- just the damned touchscreen.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Which tailgate does it have? Does it have a six foot marquee spelling out R A M in chrome? Or a three foot diameter Ram logo?

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2019, 08:42:19 PM
Its the first thing the radio ads on it mention here; a touchscreen that's a whole foot wide!

Seriously? :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-1500/interior.html

"Luxurious"?

Here's the car without the huge screen, though. Getting a very rental car vibe from it. Maybe the bigger screen is better.

Eye of the Tiger

Touch screens are played out. Gimme three knobs for hvac. Phones have better nav.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 27, 2019, 08:57:19 PM
Touch screens are played out. Gimme three knobs for hvac. Phones have better nav.

MX5 has three knobs and touch screen. The blurst of both words

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2019, 10:26:15 AM
Whatever's being sold as the 2019 model in US dealerships.

I think that's the old one. The new one I don't think is on sale yet.

cawimmer430

Hate it when new cars are lost at sea...

A Fleet Of 1970s Toyotas Are At The Bottom Of The Ocean Just Off The African Coast

Unfortunately, even with today's technology and mechanics, it's still possible to lose things at sea. There are at least 170 Toyota vehicles at the bottom of the ocean after being sunk back in 1977. The Blue Belt is a cargo ship that sank in December 1977 off the coast of Africa. The cargo on board was made up of cars, trucks, tractors and spare parts. Naturally, there are stories of how the ship sank and why. One story tells, that the crew were smuggling goods from Saudi Arabia at the time and were attempting to pass through the gap in Sha'ab Suedi Reef at Fasima Suedi, but evidently got it wrong (the ship is too big for the gap), hit the reef and sank. Efforts were made to re-float the ship by removing the cargo, which is why it is scattered around the wreck.

The original YouTube description notes that the Blue Belt now lies upside down on a slope of about 30°, in the depth of 25-90 meters. You can dive under the wreck in ca 34 meters depth.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLZYsWm1CcM

Link: https://www.powernationtv.com/post/a-fleet-of-1970s-toyotas-are-at-the-bottom-of-the-ocean-just-off-the-african-coast?fbclid=IwAR0GF7bnfZvej106R5JSORY4VFZR9vXJ8kPR-00ge4_9hVQw7uciGT0vhic
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Some snapshots of Priscilla with her gorgeous 19" AMG wheels.  :wub:

More pics in the old thread: https://www.carspin.club/index.php?topic=34879.new#new

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 27, 2019, 08:42:19 PM

They also fail to mention the screen has terrible viewing angles and terrible black levels so it looks God awful at night
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on April 29, 2019, 07:23:16 AM
They also fail to mention the screen has terrible viewing angles and terrible black levels so it looks God awful at night

I believe it. Haven't seen it, just thought the ad was a bad sign.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on April 27, 2019, 08:21:53 PM
The same could be said about a 0-60 in 5 second + 0.9xg pulling commuter

Let's evaluate all excess by the same standards.

Personally, I think the vertical screen makes a lot of sense in car... portrait is the right orientation for navigation.

Quote from: Laconian on April 27, 2019, 08:49:08 PM
https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-1500/interior.html

"Luxurious"?
In the upper trims, I'd say so

Interior materials are supposedly excellent in the upper trims. Dare I say, the best interior FCA offers barring the Maserati coupe :mask:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

Is that truck riding on top of a 747 at dawn?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 29, 2019, 12:42:48 PM
Is that truck riding on top of a 747 at dawn?
Could be navigating through flood zone in Wisconsin.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

I'm pretty sure that's an option package for the Limited trim
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Inspired by a thread at another forum; does anyone actually use the different "drive modes" in their cars?

My own car doesn't have this functionality but the rentals I've driven in the last year or so that have had it—Audi A4, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Grand Cherokee—don't really seem to do much of anything anyway, other than modify the transmission programming to hold gears longer.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on April 29, 2019, 01:37:27 PM
Inspired by a thread at another forum; does anyone actually use the different "drive modes" in their cars?

My own car doesn't have this functionality but the rentals I've driven in the last year or so that have had it—Audi A4, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Santa Fe, Jeep Grand Cherokee—don't really seem to do much of anything anyway, other than modify the transmission programming to hold gears longer.

Nope, not after the first two weeks and the novelty wears off. I would probably use a tow/haul mode when necessary, and if I had one with multiple suspension modes, there would be a "bitchy mother in-law" mode used for the one person in my life who complains about every bump and jolt as if it was my personal fault, but it wouldn't make any difference to me.

SJ_GTI

Yep. If I am on a road that I know is going to be bumpy or if I am going to be on the highway for a significant period I will put my car in comfort mode. Otherwise I tend to leave it in sport mode.

giant_mtb

I use the different drive modes in Taco.  They are 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO.  Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 29, 2019, 01:47:47 PM
I use the different drive modes in Taco.  They are 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO.  Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

:lol:

I very rarely use my low range though.

MX793

I put my car in sport mode for the first run or two at autocrosses while getting a feel for grip levels.  Particularly at venues without much runoff before hitting something.  But for my car, that only relaxes the TCS/ESC.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

I haven't found a hill steep enough to use my downhill mode.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

All the time.

My car has four different modes: COMFORT, SPORT, ECO and INDIVIDUAL.

INDIVIDUAL allows me to program the settings for steering response, suspension mode, engine and transmission behavior and ESP.

I tend to drive in COMFORT mode most of the time - it's perfect for 99% of situations. ECO mode is great on highway cruises and it does significantly reduce fuel consumption.

SPORT mode is incredibly aggressive. The car adapts a completely different personality and feels more agile and quicker than in COMFORT mode. Small hard taps on the accelerator make the engine growl and the front wheels torque steer. I love it. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 29, 2019, 12:31:04 PM
The same could be said about a 0-60 in 5 second + 0.9xg pulling commuter

Let's evaluate all excess by the same standards.

Personally, I think the vertical screen makes a lot of sense in car... portrait is the right orientation for navigation.
In the upper trims, I'd say so

Interior materials are supposedly excellent in the upper trims. Dare I say, the best interior FCA offers barring the Maserati coupe :mask:

Performance adds capability.

Taking a uconnect display meant for a 6-8" screen and spacing everything out and leaving tons of empty space so it fits a gigantic screen does nothing... and then the morons couldn't be smart and use a dark or black background on the pages so instead they use a light gray which blinds you at night

r0tor

The Giulia is normally in "natural mode".  Dynamic is just too hyper for normal driving (but fantastic for hard driving). The eco mode is only useful for snow and falling asleep while driving.

Never use the sport mode in the JGC, but I do use the sand and snow modes when appropriate

FoMoJo

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 29, 2019, 04:05:15 PM
Anyone want to save this Corvette?  One Of A Kind Corvette Hatchback Needs Saving

Yeah, but I can't afford to buy it and restore it.