Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2019, 12:49:37 PM
Driving my mom's Q5 downstate. Had the windows cracked. A message pops up on the screen between the speedo/tach:  Economy Tip: Air Resistance, Keep Windows Closed

WoW
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2019, 12:49:37 PM
Driving my mom's Q5 downstate. Had the windows cracked. A message pops up on the screen between the speedo/tach:  Economy Tip: Air Resistance, Keep Windows Closed

I would find that unreasonably infuriating. I don't even know why, but it pisses me off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Does it tell you to turn off the AC and open the windows when you go slow?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 04, 2019, 03:00:23 PM
Does it tell you to turn off the AC and open the windows when you go slow?

No, but I found it also has a screen mode where it displays a gauge that goes from 0 to 1/4 in the unit of gallons/hr that empties or fills up depending on fan speed, seat heaters, rear defroster, and the air conditioner.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 04, 2019, 02:05:11 PM
I would find that unreasonably infuriating. I don't even know why, but it pisses me off.

Yeah. At least it only displays briefly and doesn't make a noise at you.

2o6

The Tuscon rental I had had a "consider taking a break" after about 4 hours of driving.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 04, 2019, 04:24:01 PM
No, but I found it also has a screen mode where it displays a gauge that goes from 0 to 1/4 in the unit of gallons/hr that empties or fills up depending on fan speed, seat heaters, rear defroster, and the air conditioner.

Once again: WoW

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on May 04, 2019, 04:26:50 PM

The Tuscon rental I had had a "consider taking a break" after about 4 hours of driving.

That too, can bite me.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

It sounds a bit passive-aggressive. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on May 04, 2019, 04:26:50 PM

Our Outback does that. I wonder if it's mandatory?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on May 01, 2019, 04:49:56 AM
I can "thumbs up" songs through the infotainment knob with Android auto just fine... and without having to really look as the main focus of the app it play/pause and one click to the left is thumbs down and one to the right is thumbs up

On the Google Music app? Can you take a picture of the UI?

What you're describing sounds awesome, but I don't think it's how the Google Music on my phone works either running straight on the phone or in the Jetta. I have to enter a three-dots menu to even get to the thumbs up/thumbs down options.

cawimmer430

Some fun pics I took today.

Old A-Class AMG Line and New A-Class AMG Line

Priscilla with a standard A-Class (this was an A180d) with Austrian plates.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 04, 2019, 09:01:12 PM
It sounds a bit passive-aggressive. 

Its a bit "mommy knows best."

I'm a fucking adult. That's why I'm allowed to buy and operate a two-ton unguided kinetic land-missile with the explosive equivalent of three sticks of dynamite sloshing around in it.

So, just let me decide when to lower or raise the windows on it without bitching at me like a helicopter parent towards their overmedicated crotch goblins, Ok?

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 05, 2019, 10:05:34 AM
Its a bit "mommy knows best."

I'm a fucking adult. That's why I'm allowed to buy and operate a two-ton unguided kinetic land-missile with the explosive equivalent of three sticks of dynamite sloshing around in it.

So, just let me decide when to lower or raise the windows on it without bitching at me like a helicopter parent towards their overmedicated crotch goblins, Ok?
That too.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 05, 2019, 02:54:14 AM
On the Google Music app? Can you take a picture of the UI?

What you're describing sounds awesome, but I don't think it's how the Google Music on my phone works either running straight on the phone or in the Jetta. I have to enter a three-dots menu to even get to the thumbs up/thumbs down options.

IHeartradio the thumbs are 1 twist left or right and push the knob to select

Amazon Music is 2 twist clicks either way and then push

Google play is a twist to the right, push for the menu and then a couple twist clicks and a push... But it looks like you can leave that menu up if that's important which eliminates the first step

The knob function in AA works like this... A down push drops you into the bottom menu bar.  Twisting the knob moves the focus around. A left push brings up the apps menu, right exits. Up push brings up the voice controls.

So if I want the nav, I press down, spin the knob to the left and push in... Or just push up and say the voice command.  Never have to look at the screen to make the selection after a couple days of getting use to it.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on May 05, 2019, 12:45:06 PM
Google play is a twist to the right, push for the menu and then a couple twist clicks and a push... But it looks like you can leave that menu up if that's important which eliminates the first step

Yeah, that's not easier than two quick taps on a touchscreen. :huh:

So I stand by my statement that both a dial and a touch screen are ideal.

giant_mtb

Congratulations, Chevrolet. You put a 110V outlet in the bed of your truck. My 14 year old Tacoma has that. :lol:

giant_mtb

$60k GMC Yukon Denali.  $60 Walmart tires.  :facepalm: :lol:

12,000 RPM

To be fair $60 Walmart tires today are worlds better than decent tires from 10, 20, 30 years ago. At least safety wise
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 07, 2019, 08:52:16 AM
$60k GMC Yukon Denali.  $60 Walmart tires.  :facepalm: :lol:

$3k El Camino. $265 tires. :facepalm:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

Saw this on Facebook and this was one of the comments. Genius!

For committing crimes.
Caller: It was a silver car. License plate says Prius.
Dispatch: okay
Dispatch [to police]: suspect vehicle is a silver prius.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

This is one guy who really does need a pickup...

Laconian

"Guelph", "Burloak", "Borval". These sound like kingdoms in some kind of fantasy universe. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on May 07, 2019, 04:19:14 PM
"Guelph", "Burloak", "Borval". These sound like kingdoms in some kind of fantasy universe. :lol:
It's "Dorval."  It's actually just down the road from our place on the Queen Elizabeth Way between Toronto and Hamilton.  We have idiots up here as well.  :nutty:

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on May 07, 2019, 11:45:23 AM

Saw this on Facebook and this was one of the comments. Genius!

For committing crimes.
Caller: It was a silver car. License plate says Prius.
Dispatch: okay
Dispatch [to police]: suspect vehicle is a silver prius.

That's odd. :lol:

Wonder if they had a Prius before and just haven't gotten a new plate that says CAMRY.  I didn't change my LOTR plate from the A4 to a standard whatever-they-give-you plate on the Taco for a little while and I felt like a doofus 'cause it made sense no' mo'.

93JC

I don't know why it would have bothered you; after all, it always made you look like a doofus.   :devil:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 07, 2019, 04:28:36 PM
That's odd. :lol:

Wonder if they had a Prius before and just haven't gotten a new plate that says CAMRY.  I didn't change my LOTR plate from the A4 to a standard whatever-they-give-you plate on the Taco for a little while and I felt like a doofus 'cause it made sense no' mo'.
What does LOTR mean?
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide